crossbar rail removal.....anyone?

Technical Discussions - Got a mechanical problem?

Moderator: bajabob

kidjoe
Scoobytruck Contributer

crossbar rail removal.....anyone?

Post by kidjoe »

I recently noticed that the front part of the crossbar rail on the driver's side of my Baja was not attached to the roof properly. To clarify....it's not the crossbar itself but the rail that the crossbar attaches to. It comes in three pieces from what I can see and the front part on the section closest to the windshield has lifted. For the life of me I can't figure out how it is attached. It appears that the front mounting tab is broken but i can't see the back of this section of the rail to see how it is attached. Has anyone ever dealt with this? I would like to replace the part but don't want to do any damage removing the old one.
bulwnkl
Scoobytruck Master

Post by bulwnkl »

I might have the body section of the FSM downloaded from the Subaru tech site (completely disorganized files, can't find a thing, very slow to work through). I will be happy to look around for you, but I'm afraid you'll have to give me a few days as I'm busting my hump and everyone else's at work this week preparing for a foreign delegation visit and some other outreach stuff.
kidjoe
Scoobytruck Contributer

Post by kidjoe »

bulwnkl wrote:I might have the body section of the FSM downloaded from the Subaru tech site (completely disorganized files, can't find a thing, very slow to work through). I will be happy to look around for you, but I'm afraid you'll have to give me a few days as I'm busting my hump and everyone else's at work this week preparing for a foreign delegation visit and some other outreach stuff.
I can wait.......any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Joe
Atomis
Scoobytruck Contributer

Post by Atomis »

KidJoe Check your pm's I have hardcopys of the manuals if anyone needs anything pm me.
bulwnkl
Scoobytruck Master

Post by bulwnkl »

Here's the sum total of what the FSM for the '05 Baja says about removing the rails:

"15.Roof Rail
A: REMOVAL
CAUTION:
When removing roof rail, use great care not to damage body panel by stud bolt.
1)Remove cargo bed upper molding. <Ref. to EI-49, REMOVAL, Cargo Bed Upper Molding.>
2)Remove roof trim. <Ref. to EI-44, REMOVAL, Roof Trim.>
3)Remove five nuts and roof rail.
4)Remove roof molding.

B: INSTALLATION
Install in the reverse order of removal.
CAUTION:
Be careful not to scratch body panels with roof rail stud bolts when installing them."

There are a couple illustrations and they appear to indicate that you remove said bolts from inside the cab, i.e. 'remove roof trim' means take the headliner out.

Sorry.
kidjoe
Scoobytruck Contributer

Post by kidjoe »

Atomis wrote:KidJoe Check your pm's I have hardcopys of the manuals if anyone needs anything pm me.
Atomis thanks for the scans!

bulwnkl wrote:Here's the sum total of what the FSM for the '05 Baja says about removing the rails:

"15.Roof Rail
A: REMOVAL
CAUTION:
When removing roof rail, use great care not to damage body panel by stud bolt.
1)Remove cargo bed upper molding. <Ref. to EI-49, REMOVAL, Cargo Bed Upper Molding.>
2)Remove roof trim. <Ref. to EI-44, REMOVAL, Roof Trim.>
3)Remove five nuts and roof rail.
4)Remove roof molding.

B: INSTALLATION
Install in the reverse order of removal.
CAUTION:
Be careful not to scratch body panels with roof rail stud bolts when installing them."

There are a couple illustrations and they appear to indicate that you remove said bolts from inside the cab, i.e. 'remove roof trim' means take the headliner out.

Sorry.
Thanks for the information, I was hoping that it was going to be easier! Oh well, I'll look at it as an adventure. I think I will wait until things warm up a bit unless I can find a well heated garage with ample lighting. Either way I'll post some pics when I do it. Thanks again for looking it up.

Joe