AWD driving school

General talk about the Subaru Baja.

Moderator: mikenmel08

bnther36
Scoobytruck Contributer

AWD driving school

Post by bnther36 »

I purchased my BAJA based mostly on looks. Looking at it from the back, that little truck is SWEET. But it wasn't until it snowed that I began to understand what a Subaru really was.

What if Subaru held a yearly event, like Camp Jeep, where people could drive an AWD and have that hands on experience of what their AWD line-up is actually capable of?

Let the secret out. 8)
Emsanon
Scoobytruck Master

Post by Emsanon »

That would be fun! Get a variety of types of Subaru's and give people a chance to drive them for the experience. We can all test drive them on the road but it would be interesting if we could test drive them off road. Woooooo!
deadlydave
Scoobytruck Lurker

Post by deadlydave »

The Jeep day addresses trail-toughness and driving like that.

Subaru's are just too versitile, they'd need like a week for it, and 2 seasons.
-Summer Session:
Day 1: Dry/Wet Pavement
Day 2: Autocross
Day 3: Gravel/Sand/Dirt
Day 4: Rallycross
Day 5: Track

-Winter Session:
Day 6: Snow Driving
Day 7: Snow trail driving
+Dave+

2004 Baja Turbo 5mt
http://www.sl-i.net Subaru Legacy Intl.
http://www.unysoc.org Upstate NY Suby Owners Club.
bnther36
Scoobytruck Contributer

Post by bnther36 »

A week full of real AWD training...sign me up!
8) 8)
bulwnkl
Scoobytruck Master

Post by bulwnkl »

I've been engaging in the 'independent study' version for the winter portion of the course this past week since they don't have the school up and running yet. It's a whole lot of fun! :)
Emsanon
Scoobytruck Master

Post by Emsanon »

Independent study version? What or where is that? I want to try it!!! lol
bulwnkl
Scoobytruck Master

Post by bulwnkl »

Being an independent study course, you have to find your own location. Luckily, I have a huge warehouse and open yard area very near work...
:)
Emsanon
Scoobytruck Master

Post by Emsanon »

Oh. :lol: THAT kind of study course. I wish I had a place that was open around here. I've heard there was one place but I have to check it out. Someone told me that Washington doesn't really have a lot of areas to take cars off road. *sigh* :(
bulwnkl
Scoobytruck Master

Post by bulwnkl »

You're not all that far from where my cousins grew up (Poulsbo), and no, I'm not sure there are a lot of suitable spaces around there? I grew up on the east side of the state, and there are tons of suitable places there. Idaho's pretty open, too.

OT: Did you get flooded out by the huge storms that closed I-5?
Emsanon
Scoobytruck Master

Post by Emsanon »

Yeah! I'm only about 20 minutes from Poulsbo. :)

The weather was crazy. They shut down multiple roads and I almost couldn't find a way home. lol I had left okay, but by the time I got back all the road closures started happening.
I did take my Baja through a nice new lake in the middle of the road where the water went over my bumper and waves were actually going over my car hood. I put info on that in another post because I was so amazed that the Baja had no issues going through the 'lake'. I saw other people spin out and one mini van died in the middle of it. (That's when I was pulling up to it to go through, a lot of people were turning around causing a big backup in traffic).
A road close by us broke up and got both an SUV and school bus stuck in the huge hole it created. :shock:

No damage at my place though. The lake we live by did crawl up our yard due to it flooding but nothing major. *whew*
bulwnkl
Scoobytruck Master

Post by bulwnkl »

Glad your house is OK. I remember reading about your waves over the hood now that you mention it. Sorry I forgot before. :oops: Our I.T. support guy lives between Portland and Seattle and he also got lucky in that only his yard got flooded. People all around him (literally; he lives on a sort of hill) and businesses and everything were flooded out.
Emsanon
Scoobytruck Master

Post by Emsanon »

lol No reason to apologize for that! I mean, I forget things all the time. :D
It was really hard on businesses that were flooded. My martial arts class was flooded...what was gross is that it wasn't water...the sewage line backed up due to the water and debris. Everything had to be sanitized and an inspector has to go through to check everything for health safety. All the businesses on that strip were flooded since they were all together.

I'm glad your IT support guy made it out okay. :)