Check engine light - idle air control?

Technical Discussions - Got a mechanical problem?

Moderator: bajabob

NCbaja
Scoobytruck Lurker

Check engine light - idle air control?

Post by NCbaja »

A few weeks ago after driving about 20 miles my 2003 Baja cut off as I was about to stop at a light. It started up afterwards and had the check engine light on. That afternoon the light went off on the way home. Now it cut off again at another stoplight and the check engine light came back on when it cranked back up. Got it checked at auto zone before it went out and it said "P0519 idle air cont" but their computer has no description of what that code means.

The car is running fine overall other than these times of cutting off.

Any ideas what is the problem or what that code means?
bulwnkl
Scoobytruck Master

Post by bulwnkl »

I can't tell you a lot, but I can tell you that the idle air controller is the mechanism by which the engine gets air at idle. OK, it's not quite that simple, but that's how it adjusts idle speed in response to things like whether the A/C is on, whether you're in drive or neutral if you have an A/T, and so on. If the IAC is not working correctly that would explain the engine dying coming to a stop: either way too much or way too little air is getting in so it dies. I don't have troubleshooting info for you on the IAC itself, unfortunately.
Hawk296
Scoobytruck Master

Post by Hawk296 »

Ide try cleaning the IAC valve first. It is located in the throttle body. I would also check the gasket for it. I seem to remember an issue with the gasket deteriorating and coolant leaking into the manifold or something. Also make sure the connection to the solenoid is nice and tight.

I am not sure exactly what kind of IAC the baja has as subaru has used a few different styles on a few different throttle bodies as well as some mounted on the manifold directly. The Baja T has an electronic throttle body and therefore no IAC so I cant go and look.
colobaja
Scoobytruck Lurker

Post by colobaja »

Problem could be that your air filter compartment isn't closed properly. Had my oil and filters changed and then my Baja started dieing every time I stopped, and started up again every time. I checked the air filter compartment and it wasn't closed at the bottom, closed it and the problem went away.
Oh Yeah, 2005 Baja Turbo.