Musty Smell in 2006 Baja

Technical Discussions - Got a mechanical problem?

Moderator: bajabob

Caaron
Scoobytruck Contributer

Musty Smell in 2006 Baja

Post by Caaron »

I've changed the cabin/pollen filters and poured some disinfectant solution down the intake vents at the bottom front of the windshield but my Baja still smells musty. It is definitely coming from the air handling system (no internal leaks or wet carpets). I also sprayed some into the vents themselves but the problem is still there (less but still there).

Any ideas? (I park my Baja outside all year around and my driveway is uphill.)

Chuck
mikey6331
Scoobytruck Contributer

Post by mikey6331 »

Caaron,

I had something similar this spring. Mine smelled musty, to the point of almost being like cat pee...

It was in the air conditioning system. The dealership ran something through the system and it took care of it; cost $80 or $90.

-Mike
bulwnkl
Scoobytruck Master

Post by bulwnkl »

I've not tried to cure this problem in any car, so this is just an idea. What if you sprayed Lysol or whatever you want into the heat exchanger core down there where the filters are? I'm trying to recollect mine and I can't for positive. It seems that either the heater core or the A/C evap core is toward the center of the car from the filter, and I thought the other was outboard of it but I may be wrong. anyway, if it was me I'd try that before spending $80-$100 at the dealer. There's just no way they're doing much of anything for that kind of money, IMO.
Caaron
Scoobytruck Contributer

Post by Caaron »

I think I may have found a solution. The first try I poured a lysol/water mixture down the intake air vents at the bottom of the front of the windshield, but my Baja was still parked on the hill. Yesterday I parked the car on a level surface and did the same thing and I used an odor-killing solution I got at Home Depot. It seems to have worked, and I'm guessing that when sitting on the hill the solution didn't reach the areas that were causing the smell but when it was level it did.

Thanks for the suggestions.

Chuck
bulwnkl
Scoobytruck Master

Post by bulwnkl »

Glad you got it fixed, and thanks for the tip for the rest of us!
BajaGermany
Scoobytruck Lurker

Post by BajaGermany »

Maybe the problem caused by parking uphill? So not all normal incoming liquid could leave the air vent system through the drainig holes?
Baja Sport MT with LPG
Caaron
Scoobytruck Contributer

Post by Caaron »

It is possible that parking on a hill is creating the problem. I guess the only way to find out is to see if it starts to smell again. If it does I'll try parking it backwards in the driveway so that the nose is downhill...

Chuck
mbaksic
Scoobytruck God

Post by mbaksic »

Most likely the smell is from the evaporator, they tend to hold dirt and stuff because of the water that condenses on them when you use the a/c. But it could also be leaves or something of that nature stuck in the case that are starting to rot. I had a Nissan at work that came in with a bad stink in it. Mice had started a nest in the cowl, and pulled in dog food to feed on. That one would just about make you heave when you turned on the blower. I got it cleaned out and disinfected, and have not seen the car since.

Mike
Even though I work on Dodges, I don't own one.
Caaron
Scoobytruck Contributer

Post by Caaron »

Your story of the mice reminds me of a car I sold a few years ago. It was a 1967 Mustang Convertible that I bought new and restored a few times. I kept it in the garage and drove it maybe 100 miles a year. In 2004 I found that my garage had become infested with mice who were feasting on bird seed, and a bunch of them liked living in style in the Mustang. It took a few weeks but I finally got rid of them--18 in all. After that I called the the Mousetang. When I took it on the road I had sunflower seed hulls flying out of the air vents...

Chuck
davecoon13
Scoobytruck Master

AC Woes

Post by davecoon13 »

I tried all of these things before thinking to consult Scoobytruck.

I poured Febereeze down the intakes near the windshield under the hood.
I poured Febreeze into the intakes inside the car near the windshield on the dash.

Those things didn't work.

Finally, what did work was I took a can of el-cheapo air freshener spray from the dollar store.

I Sprayed it for 1minute into the center AC vents with the AC OFF.

Then I turned the AC on full blast recirculated max cool and sprayed it for 2 mins into the Center AC vents, and I could see it misting out of the side vents. I repeated this on each and every vent. Foam blew out which I had to wipe up with paper towels, but the smell is gone or at least masked with the air freshener smell.

This was 3 weeks ago and the odor did not come back. I was afraid I was gonna have to go to a Mechanic Shop that has BG products and pay for FrigiFresh AC recharge...
Dave Coon
www.nflcrimes.com
SilverStone Metallic
2003 Baja Sport 4EAT
"Capped" with A.R.E. Topper