03 Baja tonnau cover rails

General talk about the Subaru Baja.

Moderator: mikenmel08

thieu
Scoobytruck Lurker

03 Baja tonnau cover rails

Post by thieu »

I have just recently purchased an 03 baja (and loving it!) and although it did not come with the tonneau cover it did however come with the 3 rails for said tonneau. I don’t need them since I’m going to be making my own hard cover for my baja. Not looking for any cash just looking to give them a good home. They are in perfect condition!! :D 8)

Oh and I’m looking for a good condition tailgate extender as well. Maybe a trade? :roll: With some money as well from me. :wink:
jkviper
Scoobytruck Lurker

home made bed cover?

Post by jkviper »

I'm curious about your design ideas for a home made tonneau cover. I am considering doing the same so it would be fun to compare notes on design, construction matierials, etc.

Put simply, I was thinking of a 2 piece approach using 3/4" marine grade plywood covered by a "bag" (for lack of a better term) of waterproof canvas/vinyl sewn to form fit the plywood pieces. (The plywood might make the unit a bit heavy. Got ideas of other possible material that is readily available?)
The first piece would be apx 50" x 12" and would cover the space from the front of the bed to the middle of the chrome stabilizer bars.

the 2nd, larger piece would cover the balance of the bed.

I'm not looking for lockability / security so much as I am interested in the aerodynamics/MPG advantages. Now that I think of it, I suppose keeping at least most of the rain out of the bed would be nice too if I happened to be carrying something that should preferrably remain dry.

With that in mind, the means I require for securing the cover only need to be sufficient that it not fly off the vehicle while moving. Yah, that'd be good. Some slide latches that fit the 1/4" holes near the top of the upper corners of the tailgate might be a pretty slick point for anchoring the cover down.

TIA,
David in Oregon
--
David
Beaverton, OR

DISCLAIMER:
"This email is a natural product made from recycled electrons.
The slight variations in spelling and grammar enhance its
individual character and beauty and in no way are to be
considered flaws or defects."
davecoon13
Scoobytruck Master

Post by davecoon13 »

Wrenchedwoman in the Yahoo! Groups Baja Group had the plans for her cover, exactly as you describe. It also sounds alot like my Ozzbros cover. While the Ozzbros cover has a deadbolt lock, tension alone secures it in place into the bed and it does not even have to be locked. Someone at the Yahoo groups forum and the NASIOC Baja forum has the Wrenchedwoman CAD files of a template for the cover you can take to your local repro house to get printed full size.

Good Luck.
Dave Coon
www.nflcrimes.com
SilverStone Metallic
2003 Baja Sport 4EAT
"Capped" with A.R.E. Topper
canuck37
Scoobytruck Master

CAD files

Post by canuck37 »

I was one of the folks trying to get this organized a long time ago.....Basically the idea was for someone who had successfully made their own cover (several have) based on similar concept to OzzBros type trace out the dimensions on cardboard, then someone who knows CAD can take that and import it into that file format. Then it could be distributed digitally to folks who might want to make their own without having to go through the painful process of making the template themselves...PITA!

I still am interested in doing my own as well, just have not tackled it due to the time issue, etc..

We had someone working on finetuning the CAD files, but it kind of died I think. WW is not online in the NASIOC forum anymore I don't think.

It would be nice if between this group and the Forum folks we could revive this effort - any takers??
davecoon13
Scoobytruck Master

Re: CAD files

Post by davecoon13 »

canuck37 wrote:WW is not online in the NASIOC forum anymore I don't think.
I think she traded in her Baja for a Ridgeline. Though I did see that she responded to a post in the Yahoo! Groups Baja forum just yesterday.

I thought somewhere, either here or NAISOC Baja Forum or Yahoo Groups Baja list I saw the CAD files posted somewhere.
Dave Coon
www.nflcrimes.com
SilverStone Metallic
2003 Baja Sport 4EAT
"Capped" with A.R.E. Topper