Has anyone installed a DVD player for the back seat ??

General talk about the Subaru Baja.

Moderator: mikenmel08

Alpha Wolf
Scoobytruck Contributer

Has anyone installed a DVD player for the back seat ??

Post by Alpha Wolf »

Just wondering if anyone else has found a way to install a dvd player in a baja with a sun roof yet and if so please provide pictures and details?

Wife would like one installed for longer trips.

I think the headrest replacement types seem best suited but I have yet to find one that says it fits a baja headrest.

Please if you have done this let me know what type and the pros and cons of what you did.

Thanks.
Turbo
nacho
Scoobytruck Contributer

Post by nacho »

I was also thinking about installing a monitor in back also. The sunroof sure tends to get in the way of an installation there. I am sure it is possible but the best place to go is the headrest. I remember seeing at my local Wal-Mart some adjustable monitor mounts that might work. The were able to swing out also which I thought was cool. The mounts went in between the seat and the headrest using the metal stands from the headrest for mounting points which makes it less invasive on the seat. I don't remember if they were universal type mounts though. For a DVD player I would probably run something that would be in dash to make it look factory. A stereo shop should be able to find one that is the size of one of the dash slots or maybe smaller. I used to have a DVD/MP3 player that was the size of a factory cd player that you would find in a chevy truck. I installed it myself into the same spot as the original cd player wired to a monitor and it looked factory but the monitor was mounted to the center console that did not look factory. If you want to use the factory radio. Then look for an RF modulator which will allow you to play sounds through the factory radio.
Later,
bajasine
Scoobytruck Lurker

Post by bajasine »

My headunit has a DVD player that can be viewed comfortably from any of the passenger seats. I don't know how much DVD players for headrests cost, but you can probably find a headunit with DVD/CD/radio function for under $300 easily. They fit right in where the factory radio is and look really nice, I think. If you have a 6 CD changer, you'll lose that, but it will be able to play Mp3 CDs and DVDs.
2003 Sport
DVD/Nav/iPod/Bluetooth headunit
HID headlights
Kev M
Scoobytruck Master

Post by Kev M »

bajasine wrote:My headunit has a DVD player that can be viewed comfortably from any of the passenger seats. I don't know how much DVD players for headrests cost, but you can probably find a headunit with DVD/CD/radio function for under $300 easily. They fit right in where the factory radio is and look really nice, I think. If you have a 6 CD changer, you'll lose that, but it will be able to play Mp3 CDs and DVDs.
Comfortably?

I think that's subjective.

I know that a lot of kids won't agree.

My daughter can't even see the head unit when she's belted in to the back of the Baja. Not without leaning around the passenger seat.

K
Alpha Wolf
Scoobytruck Contributer

Post by Alpha Wolf »

bajasine wrote:My headunit has a DVD player that can be viewed comfortably from any of the passenger seats. I don't know how much DVD players for headrests cost, but you can probably find a headunit with DVD/CD/radio function for under $300 easily. They fit right in where the factory radio is and look really nice, I think. If you have a 6 CD changer, you'll lose that, but it will be able to play Mp3 CDs and DVDs.
Thanks for your response. But I have two problems with your suggestion:

Firstly leaning over for 2 hours to watch a movie is not my idea of comfort. The idea is to entertain the kids not to torture them by having them contort to view a tiny screen up front. Secondly I do not want a screen I can see when driving in my car and on when I drive. With the accident rate for cell phone user being equal to DUI drivers, how bad must it be for drivers watching movies while driving.

The second issue here is I replaced the radio in my wifes other car to get the features hers lacked. It had problems and now she will not allow anything but a stock radio in her cars. So changing it out to even get a front DVD set is not an option.

I am leaning heavily toward a head rest mounted units. 2 DVD players, one in each head rest where they can watch different movies or the same one. It also allows me to connect up another 2 monitors for front if I should desire later. Made by Rosen.

I am going to get this installed in my CX7 and see how it works out and if it is okay, then do the same for her Baja. Once she says it is okay in my car, I should be safe from wifely vendettas if I get it installed after she approves of it in my car...
Turbo
Kev M
Scoobytruck Master

Post by Kev M »

LOL,

but dude, you gotta at least try to get through to the wife on the head unit thing.

Electronics sometimes break, it's just the way it is. And just because something is OE doesn't mean it isn't going to happen.

My wife wanted Nav in her last car, but the system has fritzed out twice now and since we're out of warranty, I'm scared to bring it back and hear how much they are going to want to fix it!

:shock:

Probably double or triple what we could buy a new Tom-Tom for... :roll:
Alpha Wolf
Scoobytruck Contributer

Post by Alpha Wolf »

Kev M wrote:LOL,

but dude, you gotta at least try to get through to the wife on the head unit thing.

Electronics sometimes break, it's just the way it is. And just because something is OE doesn't mean it isn't going to happen.
:shock:

Probably double or triple what we could buy a new Tom-Tom for... :roll:

While you and I know stuff happens sometimes to even the best units, she has busted my as for 10 years over changing her radio system out of her car (I had the dealer get it installed during the pre-pickup prep) She is one of those few people who likes (stock looking) radios even if they sound lousey or lack features the rest of us required.

I would want to change it just to get a MP3 player connectivity. I may be able to get buy if the system in my car works well enough she may want it in hers. My car has a Bose 240 watt with subwoofers etc with all the interfaces to the factory media stuff. Unfortunately for me, while Mazda offers a DVD for my CX7, the installation kit and wiring kits are not available for cars like mine with a sun roof. :x They keep saying they will come up with it but for 5 months of still no date it has just gotten too old and I am installing an aftermarket system vs no system.
Turbo
bajasine
Scoobytruck Lurker

Post by bajasine »

Well, I'm sure it would be uncomfortable for children, given their height. I don't have children or transport them, so I was speaking of adult passengers who don't seem to have any trouble.
2003 Sport
DVD/Nav/iPod/Bluetooth headunit
HID headlights
Alpha Wolf
Scoobytruck Contributer

Post by Alpha Wolf »

Though it would be nice to get away with a $300 system vs. a $1500 system

Hey I am still happy she wanted a subaru.

I wanted a STI or Outback, she went would not have either one....

So the CX7 was a compromise.

Funny how when she was buyinga care the Turbo Subaru Baja kind of floated to the top of her list. When I was buying she said it would not do because it had only 4 seats...

Women, you have to love them... :roll: :roll:
Turbo
Kev M
Scoobytruck Master

Post by Kev M »

Alpha Wolf wrote: Women, you have to love them... :roll: :roll:
:lol: Beats the alternatives 8)
Alpha Wolf
Scoobytruck Contributer

Post by Alpha Wolf »

So far the headrests by Rosen in my CX7 are working out great.

No problems. Kids love them they can watch different movies etc plus they can play the built in games.

Wife is trying to decide to go that way or just to mount a single overhead unit in her car to save on cost as we most likely will take the Mazda on longer trips anyway.
Turbo
Clint
Scoobytruck Lurker

Post by Clint »

We have used a portable unit several times in the Baja on trips.
2005 Subaru Baja 5-Speed Turbo
2002 Subaru WRX 5-Speed
A whole lot of Fiero's