Were is Temperature Probe for Dash Thermometer?

Technical Discussions - Got a mechanical problem?

Moderator: bajabob

davecoon13
Scoobytruck Master

Were is Temperature Probe for Dash Thermometer?

Post by davecoon13 »

Where is the sensor for the dashboard thermometer (for outside temp) located? It seems like it is sometimes affected by the engine heat. The outside temp displayed on my dash though is usually within a degree or 2 of the radio weathercast, except when I first start the car after it has been sitting a while.
mbaksic
Scoobytruck God

Post by mbaksic »

I have not looked for mine, but it has to be in front of the radiator, so it will soak up some heat when standing still. Once you start moving though, it should be pretty much on the money. It takes mine about 3 miles of driving to get it to read accurate, especially when it is warmer outside. Mike
Even though I work on Dodges, I don't own one.
Pow
Scoobytruck Contributer

Post by Pow »

I had installed a directional/temp display/auto-dimming mirror in my mom's Toyota Highlander and had to mount a probe for the temp gauge. The probe was probably about the size of a Sharpie marker cap and the instructions said to try and mount it near the front bumper ahead of or below the radiator. The Baja's probe is probably similar in size and location, but being a factory installed item it may be more concealed.

-Pow
Hawk296
Scoobytruck Master

Post by Hawk296 »

The temperature sensor is located in the lower grill opening just to the left of the vertical bar for the lower grill. It sits in front of the A/C condenser.
mbaksic
Scoobytruck God

Post by mbaksic »

Thanks Hawk, now I will know where to look for it. I figured it was up high, since I haven't knocked it off when I offroad it through heavy snow. :lol: Mike
Even though I work on Dodges, I don't own one.
NOTBRAT
Scoobytruck Contributer

Hot Car

Post by NOTBRAT »

The highest my temp gague ever read was 116. But, I didn't get a pic of that time.

davecoon13
Scoobytruck Master

Post by davecoon13 »

NOTBRAT wrote: Image
Was that 7:05 PM or AM when the temperature reached 108° F ?
NOTBRAT
Scoobytruck Contributer

Post by NOTBRAT »

It was PM, having just arrived in Las Vegas last August. I think it wasn't much cooler in the morning, however.

Funny thing about Vegas... here's a pic of my Baja there last Christmas: