HVAC Control Problem - Vent Selector

Technical Discussions - Got a mechanical problem?

Moderator: bajabob

Kev M
Scoobytruck Master

HVAC Control Problem - Vent Selector

Post by Kev M »

OK, guys I just searched extensively for this and the only thing I found (and it might be the problem) was something under a dash panel HU install thread on NASIOC that referenced a clip that needs to be released before pulling the head unit/HVAC controls forward. I didn't do this when I installed my HU last month so I might have caused the problem :oops: :x

Anyway, here are the symptoms, anyone else ever experience this.

When I turn the vent control knob to any position OTHER than the 2 defrosts, I can hear a panel in the dash repeatedly closing, then reopening, closing, opening etc... bump, bump, bump-bump, bump like that.

AND if any vent settings are selected that include the dash vents, air does NOT come out of the dash vents.

Am I correct that this unit works on vacuum? Is it possible there is just a tube or hose that has come off the fitting.

OR, like the instructions for the Sport Activity Light install (which include HU and HVAC removal warn) could I have damaged the HVAC unit when if I failed to disconnect the temperature control clamp from the lever under the dash????

Only thing is it all pretty much worked fine for more than a month after my install. Well, it sorta worked the same as always, which meant there was an intermittent tapping once in a while.

Other question, should I pull it apart and try to fix it myself or do you think I'll be able to talk a dealer into covering it, even though it might have been my fault.

THOUGHTS?

Kev
Last edited by Kev M on Mon Feb 26, 2007 2:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Buck Rogers
Scoobytruck Contributer

Post by Buck Rogers »

I would at least look to see if something came loose. If it all appears sound then try for a warranty fix. I have had mine apart twice, once when I installed the subwoofer kit , and again when I checked for a loose antenna connection trying to troubleshoot a radio static issue. I really dont recall the clamp being an issue. :?
Kev M
Scoobytruck Master

Post by Kev M »

Thanks for the thoughts BR...

I was thinking about this last night and I remembered that when I was looking at the HVAC/HU assembly I saw a clip at the lower right portion of the opening that I undid because I could tell it was going to hold a piece back, so the more I think about it, I don't think it was me.

And the dealer had installed the premium sound package, subwoofer etc, so their tech had to be in there before me.

Heck, the HVAC unit did this intermittently from pretty much day 1, it's just now it does it constantly.

So I think I'l make an appointment, gotta be warranty. Maybe I'll take things apart and check for a loose hose or something first, just because I found the butchers at the dealership broke some trip and left out some screws when they did the subwoofer kit, but otherwise, I'll make an appointment.

K
mikey6331
Scoobytruck Contributer

Post by mikey6331 »

I'm inclined to think you did not do this. I did not disconnect the cable when I installed my Sirius unit, and it screwed up the temperature dial, not the vent selector. I think I kinked the cable a bit - the dial no longer turns smoothly, and it's lost some of its range (it stops about 2 notches short of full cold).

-Mike
Kev M
Scoobytruck Master

Post by Kev M »

mikey6331 wrote:I'm inclined to think you did not do this. I did not disconnect the cable when I installed my Sirius unit, and it screwed up the temperature dial, not the vent selector. I think I kinked the cable a bit - the dial no longer turns smoothly, and it's lost some of its range (it stops about 2 notches short of full cold).

-Mike
Gracias for the feedback.

When the weather breaks a little bit or I can get it into a garage for a couple of ours, I'll open her up and look for a pinched/broken wire connector or other sign of what might be causing this.

If I can't figure it out, I'll bring it to the dealer.

K
Kev M
Scoobytruck Master

Post by Kev M »

Got it back yesterday.

It was the vent motor in the HVAC box that had failed.

They had to pull the whole thing for access and I THINK replace the whole thing.

No matter, done, covered under warranty.

Kev