Insulation on Plastic Engine Undercover

Technical Discussions - Got a mechanical problem?

Moderator: bajabob

Kev M
Scoobytruck Master

Insulation on Plastic Engine Undercover

Post by Kev M »

So I finally did the break-in oil change yesterday and I was quite pleased to find the plastic engine undercover is a much better design than the POS we had on the 98 Forrester.

The hatch fasteners were simple to get out without breaking and only having to pull three of them, instead of a whole bunch plus some bolts like the Forrester was much nicer.

HOWEVER, when I got it out, I found that the insulation that is affixed to the hatch piece (and to the main piece) was all buggered up. Each of the pieces were torn at some of the fasteners. The main piece was only held down at one point.

I removed it and figured I could bring it to the dealer to get a replacement or just run without it.

Anyone have a guess as to whether the stuff is necessary or not?

Is is there for sound deadening or to protect the plastic cover from engine heat?

If it is the later I figure I've got a couple of months to get a replacement.

K
mbaksic
Scoobytruck God

Post by mbaksic »

HI Kev, I don't know myself, could be for noise, or maybe to absorb anything that drips. I know that mine is in good shape, and if it is snowing out or raining and I change oil, it is soaked with water. Maybe Subies way of cleaning up the envirornment, no leaks make it to the ground. Mike
Even though I work on Dodges, I don't own one.
the slug
Scoobytruck Contributer

Post by the slug »

I know that plastic makes a horrible skid-plate :twisted:
Scoobytruck God

Post by mbaksic »

I agree, I wasted mine again, and refuse to pay 85 bucks for a new one.
Will see how dirty things get without it. I towed my atv this past weekend, and noticed no difference in operating temps at all. Mike
Kev M
Scoobytruck Master

Post by Kev M »

Still have the plastic piece, since I don't do any offroading...

...the lack of insulation has not caused a problem.

Kev
mbaksic
Scoobytruck God

Post by mbaksic »

Hey Kev,
I took mine off when I put the light bar on the front, the bar interfered with it. Also, I had whacked the damn thing again, so it was broke. I don't notice any difference without it. I have even drove down a flooded road last weekend pullin my ATV. Had at least 18" of water on the road. No problem at all. Did run a bit rough the next day for about a minute, but that was all. So I figure not to spend the cash to replace it, a waste of money in my opinion.
Mike