Running amp cable in baja

Technical Discussions - Got a mechanical problem?

Moderator: bajabob

steveorocks
Scoobytruck Lurker

Running amp cable in baja

Post by steveorocks »

So I am going to put a sub in my bed. I have run the power cable from the battery in to the car.

I need help running the cable from the drivers side door to the back, and suggestions on withc path to take and what plastice peices to remove and how to remove them?

Thanks!
Pow
Scoobytruck Contributer

Post by Pow »

Without going into great detail, there is a plastic channel for cabling that runs along the driver's side of the car (possibly on the passenger side too) underneath the plastic that covers the edge of the carpet. The plastic over the edge of the carpet just pulls up, there is one plastic retainer to pull out on the front section under the dash. It will be easiest to access the channel if you remove the driver's seat. Not sure about pulling up the plastic cover at the B-pillar, but you might be able to sneak by it without removal. On my '03 there was an unused hole in the firewall near the break/accel pedal mounts that had a rubber cap in it. I made a small hole in that cap (did an X with a hobby knife) and fed some 8-guage through it. The pliability of the rubber seemed to keep a good seal around the cable.

Regarding from the interior to the exterior bed of the Baja, I got nuthin'.

-Pow
cliffhanger
Scoobytruck Master

Post by cliffhanger »

into the bed, as in outside, exposed to elements and tomfoolery? you are much braver than I. Don't you think it would be more effective (better sound quality) to put the subs inside? Don't get me wrong, I see the allure, but not the practicality. Is this going to be for competitions or something?
'05 Baja-T M/T white/silver
370 awhp
nacho
Scoobytruck Contributer

Post by nacho »

I am also looking at doing the same thing. I am planning to remove switchback panel and disable the switch that lets you know you have the panel open. The only concern that I have would be the exposure of the sub to the elements. I hope to have the bed covered and somehow seal the box at least from the elements even under the tonneau cover. On the cable from the amp to the sub in the bed. I was thinking that you can have a custom made box with the input from the amp towards the front of the box. If you want to make it look better maybe using a 1/4" phono plug like what is used for live sound reproduction at concerts. This might even look cool and could help in quick removal when all of the bed is needed.