How to Change Engine Air Filter '03 Baja Sport?

Technical Discussions - Got a mechanical problem?

Moderator: bajabob

davecoon13
Scoobytruck Master

How to Change Engine Air Filter '03 Baja Sport?

Post by davecoon13 »

Is there a trick to easily removing the engine air filter on the 2003 Baja Sport? It is a pain in the a** to remove it so that it can be replaced. I just paid for JiffyLube to replace it. There are clips that can be removed easily enough, but I can't seem to easily get the cover complely off.

Does the Alldata DIY website offer a subscription for the Baja? Is there a Haynes or Chilton book out there for the Baja?

Is it the same as the Legacy air filter?
Kev M
Scoobytruck Master

Re: How to Change Engine Air Filter '03 Baja Sport?

Post by Kev M »

davecoon13 wrote:Is there a trick to easily removing the engine air filter on the 2003 Baja Sport? It is a pain in the a** to remove it so that it can be replaced. I just paid for JiffyLube to replace it. There are clips that can be removed easily enough, but I can't seem to easily get the cover complely off.

Does the Alldata DIY website offer a subscription for the Baja? Is there a Haynes or Chilton book out there for the Baja?

Is it the same as the Legacy air filter?
Since I ran the editorial department at Chilton for many years I can tell you it is unlikely that a manual (Chilton, Haynes or especially Alldata) is going to give you any more details about getting an air cleaner open. That kind of stuff is BASIC, BASIC, BASIC. You have to be able to figure that stuff out on your own.

Some things like that are a PIA the FIRST time you do it, but tend to be much easier the next time.

As for a DIY book, I haven't checked, but suspect that Haynes would include the Baja in the Legacy manual (if they have one by now). I'd still bypass em and get a factory book myself.

K
ebbie97
Scoobytruck Master

Post by ebbie97 »

Besides the clips you also have to take one or two bolts out. They keep the filter housing in place. Just take a moment and look around to see how the air box is attached, it is really quite simple. Once the housing is loose, it is very easy to take off, put your new filter in and close the whole thing up again. Just make sure every thing lines up correctly, otherwise it is a big struggle to close it. Good luck.
-EB
canuck37
Scoobytruck Master

Post by canuck37 »

ebbie97 wrote:Besides the clips you also have to take one or two bolts out. They keep the filter housing in place. Just take a moment and look around to see how the air box is attached, it is really quite simple. Once the housing is loose, it is very easy to take off, put your new filter in and close the whole thing up again. Just make sure every thing lines up correctly, otherwise it is a big struggle to close it. Good luck.
-EB
Be real careful with the bolt that threads into the round pipe-type bracket on the RH side of the filter box. I went to install a KN filter the other day and found that the handy folks down at the Jiffy Lube had stripped it and I had a heck of a job getting it out and then wound up having to re-tap the hole and use a different bolt (larger). Not a great design.....
mbaksic
Scoobytruck God

Post by mbaksic »

Instead of the factory filter, you can be cheap like me and put on a cheap cold air intake. Don't think the air is colder, but cone filter is simple to replace, and it makes a hell of alot of racket when you hammer the pedal down. Now I just have to clean the filter, or replace it. Mine is filthy. Mike
Even though I work on Dodges, I don't own one.
davecoon13
Scoobytruck Master

Re: How to Change Engine Air Filter '03 Baja Sport?

Post by davecoon13 »

NOTE TO MODERATOR: Somehow, I posted this twice by accident and can't seem to delete it. I am not deliberately trying to flood the forum. please erase duplicate posting.
Kev M wrote: Since I ran the editorial department at Chilton for many years I can tell you it is unlikely that a manual (Chilton, Haynes or especially Alldata) is going to give you any more details about getting an air cleaner open. That kind of stuff is BASIC, BASIC, BASIC. You have to be able to figure that stuff out on your own.

Some things like that are a PIA the FIRST time you do it, but tend to be much easier the next time.

As for a DIY book, I haven't checked, but suspect that Haynes would include the Baja in the Legacy manual (if they have one by now). I'd still bypass em and get a factory book myself.

K
I know it is BASIC BASIC BASIC, but other cars I have had just have a simple wing nut. I guess I am just not cut out for routine maintainence.

It was those pesky bolts that gave me the trouble. Thanks to everyone in this forum for the advice.
canuck37 wrote:I went to install a KN filter the other day and found that the handy folks down at the Jiffy Lube had stripped it and I had a heck of a job getting it out and then wound up having to re-tap the hole and use a different bolt (larger). Not a great design.....
It looks like Jiffy Lube also stripped mine out...I am sure I would have a hard time proving this....Do you think this is covered under warranty?

I don't have a tap and die set.

Maybe I need to go to HarborFreight and buy a cheap $10 Tap and Die Set or order one from Homier (great source for cheap made in Communist China tools). Is there really enough metal to tap into? Mine looks plastic.

Homier.com has the Tap and Die sets for $10 each (you need to specify Metric or SAE), but are these air filter bolts SAE or Metric? For example, I never know the difference betwen 12mm and 1/2" They have always seemed to work interchanably for me.

It looks like it hasn't been issued yet but Haynes is going to issue a Subaru manual that covers the Baja.

I have always personally preferred Haynes to Chilton or Alldata DIY subscriptions, but which one is the best?
Kev M
Scoobytruck Master

Post by Kev M »

Air cleaner with a wing-nut.

Man you made me smile nostalgically for my old Chevy Trucks and Oldsmobile cars.

Ah yes, but that's not the way anymore. Spring clips, bolts, tubing etc. Still not a big deal. I betcha it will be a LOT easier next time. :wink: