ipod into cd changer for some recent subarus

Technical Discussions - Got a mechanical problem?

Moderator: bajabob

2004turbo
Scoobytruck Lurker

ipod into cd changer for some recent subarus

Post by 2004turbo »

Hi folks,

The wired fm modulator is a good solution to transmit FM-quality audio from the ipod. In order to get CD quality audio from the ipod into the Subaru, you have to pipe the ipod into the head unit. Nathan Crum at http://www.jazzyengineering.com has solved this problem for 2005 and 2006 Subarus equipped with the stock 6 CD changer. His solution is an aux-in kit, some cabling and a blank CD.

I have a 2004 turbo with the P131 6 CD head unit. I asked Nathan if the kit would work. He said that the P133 from the Impreza and the P126 from the 2004 Eddie Bauer Outback both work.

His most detailed comment was that the ribbon cable that connects the CD changer to the radio is the determining factor. The ribbon cable needs to have 14 pins to have a chance of working. Anyone that's taken out the P133 changer count the pins? Any experience with the jazzyengineering solution?
Packa
Scoobytruck Contributer

Post by Packa »

This seems like the holy grail. I would love to know if this would work in the Baja.
Packa
Scoobytruck Contributer

Post by Packa »

I heard directly from Jazzy. Maybe everyone here knows this already, but the Baja (being heavily based on the next to last iteration of the Outbakc) uses the previous generations radio -- hence the Jazzy solution won't work on even an 05 or 06 Baja.

I wish there was an aftermarket HU with aux in that was as subdued looking as the stock Subie unit. So many of the aftermarkets have a distinct "Tokyo by night" look to them.