ABS problems

Technical Discussions - Got a mechanical problem?

Moderator: bajabob

ebbie97
Scoobytruck Master

ABS problems

Post by ebbie97 »

Since last week my ABS-warning light stays on after I start the engine. According to the manual, the brakes will still work, but the ABS is not functioning and needs to be checke by the dealer. Just came back from the dealer and diagnostics shows that the computer, which controls the system and ABS pump, is fried. They could not give me an answer why this happened, but I'm looking at a repair of $950.00. :cry:

??:
Does anyone know how this circuit could get fried?
Has anyone had similar issues with their ABS?

Needless to say, I'm not a happy camper!
-EB
mbaksic
Scoobytruck God

Post by mbaksic »

Can't help you with this one Ebbie, I have not had any problems yet with mine. But since I work on cars everyday, all I can say is the anything is possible with a car. It doesn't take much to fry something. Could be something that was iffy since day one, a voltage spike, loose spot in the solder, anything. Mike
Flowmastered87GL
Scoobytruck Master

Post by Flowmastered87GL »

I take it you have too many miles for it to still be under warranty? :(
2005 Baja Sport, 51k ("NU BRAT")
2004 Freightliner Columbia Day Cab 504k
ebbie97
Scoobytruck Master

Post by ebbie97 »

I'm up to 87K miles, so nothing is under warranty anymore. The dealer did try a computer from an Outback and initially the ABS-light went off, but immediately came on when they started driving it. SOA has not specified any service on the computer nor on the ABS pump. For safety reasons they want the whole unit replaced. Fortunately, it is not putting any strain on any other system, so I can temporarily do without the ABS.

Now I have to start putting all my loose change away to save up for this repair. I'm planning on the fall!

Still not a happy camper.
-EB
mbaksic
Scoobytruck God

Post by mbaksic »

Well EB, thats still better than the problems we used to have years ago on the GM and Chryslers that I worked on, they would make it just out of warranty, and then crap out. At that time, the GM unit cost $650.00 just for the part. Then with the labor, it would end up just around what they quoted you. When they crapped out at earlier miles, wow, p/o customers!! And some of the Chryslers wouldn't even make it to the customers before we replaced the unit. They still have a lifetime warranty on some of the old mini vans with abs out there, because they were so bad. Mike
ebbie97
Scoobytruck Master

Post by ebbie97 »

Had my ABS computer and pump replaced last week. With the changing weather here in the NE, and me having to drive over a mountain every day, I took the plunch and had it replaced. $1500 later everything is working properly. They also found oil around my spark plugs due to a tear in the head gasket.

This is the first major repair I've had since I bought the Baja in 2003.
-EB
mbaksic
Scoobytruck God

Post by mbaksic »

A bit pricey, but glad you got it fixed before the crappy weather starts. I will have to keep and eye on mine to see if it causes any probs. If it does, I will prolly just ignore it. I have driven so many non abs cars that not having it is no big deal. Mike
Even though I work on Dodges, I don't own one.
ebbie97
Scoobytruck Master

Post by ebbie97 »

The 1500 does include the new gaskets and a 90K service. The abs by it self was about $1000.

The service rep told me to occasionally slam on the break (in a parking lot or so) to engage the abs system. On one side I can understand the rational, but on the other side I'm not sure if that makes any sense. As a potential cause for the computer to be fried, they told me that my breaking is too soft. I guess down shifting and breaking with little force is also not good. :?:
-EB
mbaksic
Scoobytruck God

Post by mbaksic »

I can see how making the ABS work once and awhile would be a good thing. Mine gets used several times a year, mostly in the winter. Mike
Even though I work on Dodges, I don't own one.