Blow off thingy?

Technical Discussions - Got a mechanical problem?

Moderator: bajabob

Atomis
Scoobytruck Contributer

Blow off thingy?

Post by Atomis »

I have been playing with my car for the last few weekends and installed the short throw shifter into it thanks for the walkthrough it was a lifesaver. This brings me to my current question......there is a loopback on our blowoff it goes back to the airbox and the thing hemerages air and makes the car run rich if you remove the hose i removed it gave the car a good rev and the blow off sounded SWEET! but as i said the car is running really rich so its having trouble at low rpms. This all goes back to the blow off why is it leaking air why does it blow off into the airbox. I have heard some people have fixed this by taking a hammer to one end of the blow off.....that really scares me but i really liked the noise and am contemplating anything to get it back :S
Atomis
Scoobytruck Contributer

Post by Atomis »

Wow, my head hurts after reading that tonight is an offical bad grammar night for me.
Hawk296
Scoobytruck Master

Post by Hawk296 »

Well i do not totally understand your post, but im assuming you have a turbo and are talking about the bypass valve. The bypass valve should not be leaking anything at idle. It should only open when you build boost and shift. It is possible that some seeps out under positive pressure though.

Since our cars have a recirculation bypass valve, they are not supposed to vent it to atmosphere. The air is already measured as it passes through the Mass airfow sensor, then goes to the turbo, and intercooler into the engine. Since this air has been measured, the computer adds the correct amount of fuel for this volume of air to maintain the desired air fuel ratio. If all of a sudden you vent your bypass to the atmosphere, youve dumped out metered air. That means that the computer was adding fuel for air that is no longer there and therefor it runs rich. Not a good thing. And there is no good way around it.