Keyless Entry -- too weak??

Technical Discussions - Got a mechanical problem?

Moderator: bajabob

Newscutter
Scoobytruck Lurker

Keyless Entry -- too weak??

Post by Newscutter »

My dear fellow Bajans,

Where are the receiver(s) located for the keyless entry? It seems like our remotes/receivers are a little hard to connect. Approaching the truck from the driver's side, especially, I have noticed that sometimes it'll work from across the parking lot but when walking from a more modest distance (like less than 10 feet) the darn thing won't unlock until after I pressed the remote button 20-30 times and stood right outside the door for a red-faced and frustrated 3 minutes or so. Okay, slight exaggeration there. Seriously though, there a "sweet spot" if I aim it at the dash from beside the rear driver side door-- or from Neptune. Nothing in between really works... and with 2 kids I usually have to get it to connect TWICE to unlock the rear doors. I love the truck but this is BEYOND annoying. I've resorted to using the key in the lock several times-- with a KID in my arms, the whole reason I wanted keyless in the FIRST place. <sigh> Sorry. Yes, I've replaced the batteries; No, neither remote is any more successful than the other.

Thanks for any suggestions/ideas you have.

MCS

Incidentally -- both remotes seem to work much better from the passenger side of the truck.... which is why I thought maybe there were two receivers.
Atomis
Scoobytruck Contributer

Post by Atomis »

Thats odd I get insane range with mine but to get it I have to hold it so the buttons are pointed at me and the bottom of the remote is pointed at the car try it out I bet it doubles it.
autumnmist83
Scoobytruck Contributer

Post by autumnmist83 »

Mine is the same way. Its so weak I almost have to be at the truck to get it to lock. If I forget it hit it right a way I have to walk back till I am in reaching distances. My dad can get his from crazy distances.

Maybe I will have to hit up a dealer.
jaxed
All-Mighty Scoobytruck Admin

Post by jaxed »

My keyless works flawlessly from a long distance.

If I know my keyless entry systems (and I don't) I would say that there is a wire that acts as an antenna for the keyless entry. This wire probably comes out of the receiver. Perhaps this wire is bunched up so that it doesn't pick up a signal very well. The question is, where is the receiver for the keyless? Does anybody know?
cyphergirl
Scoobytruck Master

Post by cyphergirl »

If the service techs at the dealership where I bought mine can be trusted, it's behind your radio.

I lived in Catonsville when I bought mine, and most of my errands took me to the part of town where the towers for Baltimore County's police/fire dispatch are located. Unfortunately the towers must operate on a similar frequency because anytime I was near them my remote would not work. One of the techs told me none of the Subie remotes work in that area and let me know that if I put the remote against the drivers window and aimed it right at the radio, the remote might be close enough that it would work. And it did -- nearly every time.

So try aiming for the radio folks; but don't yell at me if it doesn't work. :lol:
ebbie97
Scoobytruck Master

Post by ebbie97 »

That's an interesting point. It could well be a frequency issue and not so much a receiver location thing. Maybe the dealer can change the frequency of the remote in those areas?

Personally I have not experienced any difficulties.
-EB
mbaksic
Scoobytruck God

Post by mbaksic »

Don't laugh at this, it REALLY works. When you walk up to your Baja, place the remote under your chin, tight to your chin, then hit the unlock button. Your whole body acts as the transmitter, giving you alot better range. I use the aftermarket remote now for my remote start, so I don't do this with my Baja often, since the aftermarket remote works well. But if I am a long distance from my Baja, I do this, and it really increases your range. Learned this at a Dodge school years ago. With some of the Chrysler products, I can get the locks to unlock from over 100 feet away. Mike
Fuzzy
Scoobytruck Contributer

Post by Fuzzy »

Mike,
I also do that. When I tell people they always laugh at me and say "what are you nuts". But of course they try it and they are amazed.

Fuzzy
mbaksic
Scoobytruck God

Post by mbaksic »

Fuzzy wrote:Mike,
I also do that. When I tell people they always laugh at me and say "what are you nuts". But of course they try it and they are amazed.

Fuzzy
Yup, it REALLY does work, and I am glad I am not the only one that is nutz around here!!! [smilie=smack.gif] Mike
jeffsmith
Scoobytruck Contributer

Post by jeffsmith »

I would guess those of us with metal parts in our bodies
Should be able to unlock our Bajas from the next county :D
The Trouble With Normal is it Only Gets Worse
Silflay Hraka, u Embleer Rah!
I'll admit I needed a Life, but settled for a Fishing Boat
mbaksic
Scoobytruck God

Post by mbaksic »

jeffsmith wrote:I would guess those of us with metal parts in our bodies
Should be able to unlock our Bajas from the next county :D

Only if it is a plate in your head, to make a better antenna!!!! Mike
jeffsmith
Scoobytruck Contributer

Post by jeffsmith »

Nah thats just about the only part of me without "aftermarket" parts

The Rock in my skull is hard enough anyway
The Trouble With Normal is it Only Gets Worse
Silflay Hraka, u Embleer Rah!
I'll admit I needed a Life, but settled for a Fishing Boat
Pow
Scoobytruck Contributer

Post by Pow »

cyphergirl wrote:I lived in Catonsville when I bought mine, and most of my errands took me to the part of town where the towers for Baltimore County's police/fire dispatch are located. Unfortunately the towers must operate on a similar frequency because anytime I was near them my remote would not work. One of the techs told me none of the Subie remotes work in that area and let me know that if I put the remote against the drivers window and aimed it right at the radio, the remote might be close enough that it would work.
I don't remember exactly what part of MD I was in at the time (I think the area where 70 intersects 695) and I had that exact problem. After setting off the alarm once I found that if I was right up on the glass with the transmitter I could work the keyless entry. This only happened once, haven't had any problems otherwise. Maybe it's an MD thing... :)

-Pow
cyphergirl
Scoobytruck Master

Post by cyphergirl »

Pow wrote: I don't remember exactly what part of MD I was in at the time (I think the area where 70 intersects 695) and I had that exact problem. After setting off the alarm once I found that if I was right up on the glass with the transmitter I could work the keyless entry. This only happened once, haven't had any problems otherwise. Maybe it's an MD thing... :)

-Pow
Actually, that pretty much is the area. The actual tower is at 695@40, but the exit for 70 is less than .5 mile away, so the remotes tend to be affected there as well. :twisted:
Pow
Scoobytruck Contributer

Post by Pow »

Yep, just checked old email and confirmed it. I had stopped on my way to Sonoma's Bar and Grille in Columbia. Definitely was an odd experience, but it got me to look up the means to disable the alarm via the key only... which I have since forgotten.

-Pow