Which oil and filter?

Technical Discussions - Got a mechanical problem?

Moderator: bajabob

Flowmastered87GL
Scoobytruck Master

Which oil and filter?

Post by Flowmastered87GL »

I just did my first oil change today on the baja... I am around 29XX miles and going up to Seattle area tomorrow, so I wanted to catch the change before, rather than after 3000. One neat thing I figured out... trip B can go up to 9999 miles... so I use it for oil change... no ugly sticker on the window required. I use trip A for gas tanks.

So... what I went with... let me know if this is agreed on...

The dealer gave me the white filter that is little and tiny (the smallest of the 3 types) There is also one thats short, but wider... and one thats wider AND taller (used on EA series mostly)

Does anyone know if the older bigger ones work better? Or do they have to be bigger because they are less efficient?

Either way I know its a good subaru filter.. plus I pre-filled it with oil to prevent dry starting.

I used Castrol 10W30 since it doesnt get much colder than 30 degrees here ever. The oil cap says 5 W 30... but that (in my opinion) can be hard to find and I know 10W30 is VERY easy to find, and seems to be kind of the universal oil you can use in anything. Maybe if it gets REALLY cold I'll use the 5W30, but as long as its over 0 degrees it says 10W30 is cool.

Anyone think I just did something stupid? Or was my judgement of listening to the dealer on the filter, and my instinct on the oil justified?
2005 Baja Sport, 51k ("NU BRAT")
2004 Freightliner Columbia Day Cab 504k
mbaksic
Scoobytruck God

Post by mbaksic »

Sounds like you done good!! I myself use a Walmart cheapo filter, and Walmart oil. Never had a prob with either one. Just like to keep it cheap, as I usually change it every 2,000 miles. I have been using 5w30 all this year, even when it got super warm out. I had run 20w50 last summer, but just didn't think of getting any of it this year. Mike
Hawk296
Scoobytruck Master

Post by Hawk296 »

Youre fine with your setup. there are many different filters, 3 basic sizes, some black and smoe white.

The large filter is used on all current naturally aspirated EJ series engines. It will also work on a WRX with the EJ20 but there was supposedly some bulletin about using the smaller one to space it further from the exh. pipe due too heat reasons. For awhile purolator was the manufacter of this filter, so an equivilent Purolater pure one filter was the exact same thing but blue.

The short and skinny one that you have is the filter for the 2.5 liter turbo engines, the larger filter will not fit these engines because it is too wide to fit between exhuast and oil cooler lines.

then there is a skinny taller one which I absolutly forget the deal on that one. Subiegal has a writeup on which is which and what Subaru specifies over on Nasioc.

pretty much, you can use any filter on the NA engines, small ones are reccomended for the turbo 2.5 cause a large one wont fit. Some of the differences are purely related to who Subaru's supplier is at the time.

I also wouldn't worry about your oil choice. I use 10W-30 Mobil 1 on both of my Subarus (NA and turbo) and I run them hard. I normally run this in cold MI winters as well, just let it warm up when cold. I have a feeling one of the reasons Subaru wants the 5W-30 is for fuel economy reasons.

EDIT: found Jamies thread http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=434057
mbaksic
Scoobytruck God

Post by mbaksic »

Good point Hawk, about the light oil for fuel economy. Hell, we have to put 5w20 in the new Dodge Hemi's at work. The lighter oil is needed so the variable displacement solenoids will work when its cold. On these, if you use too heavy an oil, it will turn on the Check Engine Light when cold. Thats what they tell us in Dodge school, anyways. That theory is shot to hell in my book anyways. I ran 20w50 in my Baja last summer. When I went on vacation, I got 31.1 mpg on the highway with it. Of course, I haven't seen that mileage again, ever. Mike
Hawk296
Scoobytruck Master

Post by Hawk296 »

Interesting about the new hemis, I never knew that. I wonder if there are any issues related to that with The turbo Subarus due to the AVCS oil valve, I find it kinda hard to believe there would be though. Thanks for pointing that out, its kinda neat :o
Flowmastered87GL
Scoobytruck Master

Post by Flowmastered87GL »

Ya, I think I am happy with the tiny filter... if it can hold up to a turbo... it should hold up to a NA engine just fine :D
2005 Baja Sport, 51k ("NU BRAT")
2004 Freightliner Columbia Day Cab 504k
mbaksic
Scoobytruck God

Post by mbaksic »

Hey Hawk, I don't know how the Suby valve system works. But on a Hemi, the solenoids have to be able to shut off the flow of oil to the lifter. It then collapses, causing that cylinder not to work anymore. Only the intake valve has to shut off of course, so you don't get a charge of gas in that cylinder. They say it works so good, that the normal driver will never know when it shuts the cylinders off. One of our instructors tried it, says if you try real hard, you can feel a VERY slight bump as the cylinders shut down. So---if the oil is too thick, the solenoids can't work. If the solenoids won't work, bingo, check engine light on. Only Hemi cars had it last year, this year the fullsize trucks get that system too. So I figure this winter we will see all kinds of CEL, from people who run too thick of an oil. Mike
deejjjaaaa
Scoobytruck Lurker

Post by deejjjaaaa »

read this article, I think it is short and good

http://www.lincolnsonline.com/article105.html
thedanc
Scoobytruck Lurker

Anyone tried the "performance" air and oil filters

Post by thedanc »

Hopefully this thread isn't old and dead. I just got my 2006 Baja Turbo about 2500 miles ago and am getting ready to do my first oil change (on THIS car). Off the Internet I found that I can get the K&N oil filter for just $9.

This brings up some maintenance questions:
1. I saw a magical "Royal Oil Filter" for $99. It can go 7000miles and then be cleaned and used again and again so that it becomes the last oil filter you ever buy. Autoanything.com had it, but now they don't. Is this filter a bad idea? It was rated as a performance part ...

2. How 'bout them Fram Air Hogs? Don't want to stray too far off the "oil change" topic, but what do you all use for air filters? Do you just keep replacing the simple paper filter ($8) or has anyone tried the remarkably expensive Air Hog ($50)? Does it really improve fuel economy by providing better airflow or is it a joke?

-Dan
-Dan
2006 Baja Turbo
thedanc
Scoobytruck Lurker

Lincolns online article

Post by thedanc »

The article is long gone, but their custom version of the "404-Not Found" error is funny!
-Dan
-Dan
2006 Baja Turbo
Kev M
Scoobytruck Master

Re: Anyone tried the "performance" air and oil fil

Post by Kev M »

thedanc wrote:Hopefully this thread isn't old and dead. I just got my 2006 Baja Turbo about 2500 miles ago and am getting ready to do my first oil change (on THIS car). Off the Internet I found that I can get the K&N oil filter for just $9.

This brings up some maintenance questions:
1. I saw a magical "Royal Oil Filter" for $99. It can go 7000miles and then be cleaned and used again and again so that it becomes the last oil filter you ever buy. Autoanything.com had it, but now they don't. Is this filter a bad idea? It was rated as a performance part ...

2. How 'bout them Fram Air Hogs? Don't want to stray too far off the "oil change" topic, but what do you all use for air filters? Do you just keep replacing the simple paper filter ($8) or has anyone tried the remarkably expensive Air Hog ($50)? Does it really improve fuel economy by providing better airflow or is it a joke?

-Dan
I don't like filters that you clean and reuse. I don't imagine you ever really get them clean and there HAS to be the possibility of them perforating over time.

I can live with a K&N air filter, because I can inspect it.

But oil filters, FORGET ABOUT IT, go OE, buy a bunch, use em when you need em.

Oh, and I go for extended intervals with synthetic fluids.

K
thedanc
Scoobytruck Lurker

Post by thedanc »

That may be why I can't seem to find the Royal Oil Filter anywhere now. For $99 I can buy 11 K&N filters which covers me for 33,000 miles or more and is way more convenient that sloshing gasoline through the royal filter (or however one cleans it). I was just concerned about filling the landfill with used oil filters, but it is better to send a pile of oil filters to the dump then sending my engine! Good point on possible, eventual perforation. I don't think there is any way to tell when the Royal filter is spent.
-Dan
2006 Baja Turbo