Subaru STi/SPT short throw shifter install

Technical Discussions - Got a mechanical problem?

Moderator: bajabob

Hawk296
Scoobytruck Master

Subaru STi/SPT short throw shifter install

Post by Hawk296 »

Today I installed the sti short throw shifter for the 5 speed (part # C1010FA001) on my 05 Baja turbo.this will fit all manual trans Bajas.

pretty straight forward install

start by unscrewing the shift knob and then removing the boot/bezel by carefully pulling up to release the clips, watch out for the 2 locating pins in the front. I also removed the little storage tray under the ashtray to give me more room. This is done by removing the 2 screws at the base.

then remove the rubber and insulation on top of the assembly, two plastic caps hold it on.

next remove the metal plate holding everything down by removing the 4 bolts around the perimeter.
it will look like this

After that go under the car (need jackstands or a lift) and remove the nut at the front of the linkage that holds the lower stationary bar to the trans.
then remove the nut/bolt and disconnect the linkage from the shift rod on the trans.
(these two)

Then remove the 2 bolts holding the rear bushing on.

wiggle it all through the hole in top and slide the new one down and reverse the order

comparison between the two:
Baja is on the left, Sti is on the right (gold)
the sti linkage had the pivot point higher up on the shift lever. It also has urethane bushings on the pivot points and a harder rubber bushing in the rear. Also, the Bajas lever goes into a wider tube at the lower section which is filled with rubber. The STI lever is just a solid lever. Overall it makes for about 30% shorter travel, and a much tighter, less sloppy feel.

going back together with the new shift linkage.

Overall I think its a great improvement.
holland_patrick
Scoobytruck Contributer

Post by holland_patrick »

It looks so easy and the pic's are a great help but really was it easy??? How much doees it cost??
Hawk296
Scoobytruck Master

Post by Hawk296 »

the only tough part is under the car because it is kind of tight. a couple of 12mm wrenches and a socket (universal with extension helped for the rear bushing mount) and then a 10mm nutdriver to get the stuff on top.

so as far as installs go, Ide say its one of othe easier ones.
cliffhanger
Scoobytruck Master

Post by cliffhanger »

looks good man! get a good deal on it?
'05 Baja-T M/T white/silver
370 awhp
bajabeauty

short shift/noticed the gauges

Post by bajabeauty »

Neat install, those gauges took my eye...I have been looking for something descreet like that, tell me more about where you got those, I'm getting an '06 turbo...trading my 03 in....I've got some idea's of what I want to do...but all the gauges I've seen are rather prominant on the dash or window door area, I don't want to be calling attention to my souped up car ya know? Those are perfect.
Hawk296
Scoobytruck Master

Post by Hawk296 »

That is the factory Subaru gauge pack for the forester XT. It normally goes on top of the dash, but I put it in the 1 DIN slot where the little storage tray used to be. They are kinda pricey, but well worth it in my opinion. And because they are factory subaru, there is no real wiring to do. They supply jumper harnesses that just plus right in.

Another member has a writeup on a Stewart Warner gauge pack which is very similar, and cheaper.

bajabeauty

Post by bajabeauty »

Hey thanks...for the additional picture too...I'm not mechanically inclined so in your opinion would it be possible to have my dealership order this for my baja and they could put this in for me....if so, what should I ask for? I wonder if that would fit in the baja or not, since you said that was for the forester.
Hawk296
Scoobytruck Master

Post by Hawk296 »

I have a whole thread on it over in the Baja section of Nasioc.http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=798848 It all depends on your dealer. My dealer would do it no problem but they are pretty cool and logical people. Some dealers might refuse because it technically is for a forester. It literally is a direct bolt on, replaceing the tray under the radio (which also means it replaces the switch blank fo rhte roof mounted sport lights, so if you planned on those you might have an issue). Install time should cost an hours worth of labor or so.

They will have to drain oil/replace oil and drain plug, to install the oil temp sensor, so you should have it done when your due for an oil change. the wiring harness is alittle long so it just needs to be wrapped up and secured behind the radio.

The Stewart warner guage pack install on this page further down is a few hundred bucks cheaper, but requires alittle work installing sending units and running wires.viewtopic.php?t=480
bajabeauty

gauges

Post by bajabeauty »

Those were some great threads with a lot of valuable info on where to get this stuff...it sounds like I'm not the only one who liked your idea, and the stuart warner's too...wish you too where closer to my area...I can already see my self showing these threads to my mechanic to see if he'll do it. Great ingenuity guys, I knew there was a good reason to join this site, I've got lots a great ideas now.
pdiz

Post by pdiz »

What exactly are those gauges? Anyof them a boost gauge by chance?
Hawk296
Scoobytruck Master

Post by Hawk296 »

My guages (from left to right) are Boost, Voltage, and Oil Temp. you can get what is essentially the same guage pack with a manifold pressure (vacuum) instead of the boost if you do not have a turbo. They are available from Subaru.