Surge/hesitation ~ 2500-3000 rpm

Technical Discussions - Got a mechanical problem?

Moderator: bajabob

greymud
Scoobytruck Master

Surge/hesitation ~ 2500-3000 rpm

Post by greymud »

05 NA 5 speed

I frequently notice either a hesitation or a surge in this range. Gear doesn't seem to matter, it's obviously more noticable with more agressive acceleration - but it doesn't always happen. Plugs/wires are a couple years old, and I replaced the coil/distributor last month. All fluids were changed six months ago.

Next step is cleaning the throttle body and adjusting the TPS.

Any other ideas? From my research, the next step would be a compression test. I'm a good enough mechanic to figure out which end of the tool to hold within a few minutes, so I'm getting out of my depth soon.

Thanks for any advice - other than selling this thing to you for $50. :D
05 NA 5MT
anarchy1024
Scoobytruck Master

Re: Surge/hesitation ~ 2500-3000 rpm

Post by anarchy1024 »

I had a problem that sounds similar to yours. One time I just replaced the wires and that solved it, even though they seemed fine.

Another time there was significant corrosion on one of the ignition coil terminals due to water getting in there. Replaced the coil and that solved it.

Even though you already did replace those things recently, wouldn't hurt to look in the ends of the cables with a light or something and make sure it's clean.
greymud
Scoobytruck Master

Post by greymud »

Thanks! I'll return with my findings.
05 NA 5MT
greymud
Scoobytruck Master

Post by greymud »

I replaced the plugs and wires. While I was there, I cleaned the throttle body. These are either easy to work on, or I'm a better mechanic than I thought!

It's only been a couple of days, but it seems to be gone.

thanks, internet helper!
05 NA 5MT
anarchy1024
Scoobytruck Master

Post by anarchy1024 »

I hear the SOHC/non-turbo engines are considerably easier to work on than the DOHC/turbo ones, even for trivial things like plugs (and the H6s are even worse), but I've only ever worked on the SOHC engines, so can't say first-hand.

Glad to hear it appears to be solved!