RESOLVED - Forester Head Unit with built in 6-Disc Changer in Baja?

General talk about the Subaru Baja.

Moderator: mikenmel08

20Baja06
Scoobytruck Contributer

RESOLVED - Forester Head Unit with built in 6-Disc Changer in Baja?

Post by 20Baja06 »

I found a head unit from a 2004 Forester at the salvage yard and they were having a sale so I picked it up for $15. Looks to be in great shape. My Baja has a single disc head unit that works some of the time.

Pretty straightforward question: has anyone ever installed Forester head unit part number 86201SA110 in their Baja?

Never hurts to ask before tearing into it and finding out.

Thanks for any help!
Last edited by 20Baja06 on Sun Mar 24, 2024 12:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
-Brian
anarchy1024
Scoobytruck Master

Re: Forester Head Unit with built in 6-Disc Changer in Baja?

Post by anarchy1024 »

I just checked the wiring diagrams, and they appear compatible. I say 99% sure it should work. I'll post the wiring diagrams shortly.
anarchy1024
Scoobytruck Master

Post by anarchy1024 »

Some of the wire colours are different, but the pin numbers are the same for each function. If the connector fits, you should be good.
Attachments
Forester Radio Wiring.jpg
Forester Radio Wiring.jpg (296.78 KiB) Viewed 20584 times
Baja Radio Wiring.jpg
Baja Radio Wiring.jpg (350.53 KiB) Viewed 20584 times
20Baja06
Scoobytruck Contributer

Post by 20Baja06 »

I appreciate the help and the quick reply! I’ll be honest, I was asking more from the standpoint of physical fit. I know I’ll lose at least one of the cubbies to fit the larger unit. Past that, wanting to know if it mounts the same or if I’d need to modify anything or if the center console trim fits with the unit.

But step 2 is the wiring and I agree it looks functionally the same. So I’ll give it a go the next time I get a chance to spend some a few hours in the garage.

Thanks again!
-Brian
anarchy1024
Scoobytruck Master

Post by anarchy1024 »

Ah, okay, fair enough.

It still looks good, because there's a recessed "lip" around the faceplate that looks the same as the 2002 Outback 6-CD changer that I have (which uses the same plastic bezel as the Baja). If the head unit face occupied the full width, it would foul on the bezel or need to be recessed behind it; this looks like it should be good.

You could compare photos of the 2002 Outback 6-CD changer with cassette deck, which does physically fit in the Baja properly, and see if the mounting holes and other characteristics are the same.

But to answer your question, sorry, I don't have first-hand experience with this specific head unit. Evidence suggests it should be a direct swap, though, with no modifications necessary.
Attachments
Screenshot_20231105-204146~2.png
Screenshot_20231105-204146~2.png (1.06 MiB) Viewed 20581 times
20Baja06
Scoobytruck Contributer

Post by 20Baja06 »

Is your photo the Outback unit?

Here’s the Forester one.
IMG_1796.jpeg
IMG_1796.jpeg (225.43 KiB) Viewed 20578 times
Either way, I appreciate the response. I haven’t studied the unit much yet so unless I get a firm answer between now and when I get time, I’m going to give it a try. From there I will report back.
-Brian
anarchy1024
Scoobytruck Master

Post by anarchy1024 »

My earlier photo was one I found online for the part number you posted.

The 2002 Outback one looks like this: https://www.ebay.ca/itm/253882952130

I just mentioned it because I saw that the one in that photo, which I hope is the same Forester one as yours, has similar design features to the Outback one that I have and know fits.
20Baja06
Scoobytruck Contributer

Post by 20Baja06 »

I follow you now.

I’ve been trying to compare against photos of this unit which I’m reading all over fits the Baja. The Forester one looks just a bit nicer, IMO.
IMG_1797.jpeg
IMG_1797.jpeg (240.02 KiB) Viewed 20572 times
-Brian
20Baja06
Scoobytruck Contributer

Post by 20Baja06 »

Chiming back in to update that this worked out. I was initially pretty concerned with the Forester unit's mounting brackets and whether they would be compatible with the Baja's HVAC controls. Once I actually looked at it, the Forester unit's mounting brackets, like the Baja's (and like any other radio that ever existed out there, apparently), are removable.

The Baja's brackets are conveniently "universal" and aligned perfectly to the Forester unit. First picture shows the Baja's stack compared to the Forester unit with its mounting brackets. The second picture is one side of the Baja bracket mounted to the Forester unit.

Baja Forester Comparisons.png
Baja Forester Comparisons.png (1.39 MiB) Viewed 8334 times

Due to the Forester unit being approximately twice as thick as the Baja unit, I was going to lose one of the storage cubbies. I opted to keep the lidded cubby for a more "finished" look. With both mounting brackets and the lidded cubby in place, I hooked the unit back up to the car and reconnected the battery to give it a try -- all systems appear to be functional!

Forester Radio in Baja Trial.png
Forester Radio in Baja Trial.png (1.06 MiB) Viewed 8334 times

After that test, I unhooked the battery again and continued to button things up. It went nearly without a hitch. One issue I ran into, utilizing all of(4) screws to mount the Forester unit to the Baja's mounting brackets the lower, right rear bolt gets in the way of reusing the original screw (top) that mounts the Impact Sensor Unit. Specifically, the washer interferes with the lower right rear screw and prevents this mounting screw from being used. I went to my handy-dandy screw collection and pulled out a M5 x 0.8 socket head cap screw (bottom) that ended up working out. It rubs right up against the lower right rear screw but it does thread in. Final product is shown as well!

Interference and Finish.png
Interference and Finish.png (914.98 KiB) Viewed 8334 times

I appreciate the help on this and am glad to put it to bed!
Last edited by 20Baja06 on Mon Mar 25, 2024 6:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
-Brian
anarchy1024
Scoobytruck Master

Re: RESOLVED - Forester Head Unit with built in 6-Disc Changer in Baja?

Post by anarchy1024 »

Very nice! Glad it worked out!