Extended cranking after fueling then dies about 30s later

Technical Discussions - Got a mechanical problem?

Moderator: bajabob

firebanex
Scoobytruck Lurker

Extended cranking after fueling then dies about 30s later

Post by firebanex »

I am having an ongoing issue with my 2006 NA Automatic Baja at 148k miles so far. I'm up in Alaska, so our environment in the winter does not lead itself to an easy life for the car but I also keep up on my maintenance and do a decent amount of it myself. As long as it doesn't involve taking apart the engine or brake system too far, I usually can do it myself.

The problem developed slowly over the course of the last 2 years with it only occurring every once in a while to the last 6 months when it happens every. single. tank. I fill the tank with no issues from the pump, then start the car and it takes a good 3-5 seconds of cranking over before it reluctantly starts and runs a bit low idle for a few more seconds before leveling out and sounding absolutely fine. I can drive away but the first time I come to a full stop within the next minute, the car drops super low idle, the AWD, AT Temp, and some other lights start to come on, and the car then dies. If I brake and push the gas pedal down I can get it to not die, but it's not happy about it. Today when doing that, the AT temp light popped on and blinked at me until I pulled over and shut the car off for a bit. No other codes found in the car beyond the pending p1443 that I have. I shift it back to Neutral or Park and restart with maybe a second of cranking and it struggles to get going up to a nice idle RPM for a second or two. Then it drives absolutely fine until I need to fuel up again. No problems starting or driving from then on till I need to put fuel into it again.

For the last year or so I do have code P1443 that alternates between pending and stored but does not consistently light the check engine light. In response to this I have replaced the charcoal canister/solenoid in the rear of the car (twice now) First time I replaced it about 9 months ago, it fixed all the issues for about 4 months. Second time (about a month ago) I replaced it, nothing changed. I will rarely get the loose gas cap code p420 maybe every 6 months. Put a new gas cap on it about 2 years ago.

I'm not sure if there is any relation or not, but the car runs much better on premium 90 gas over regular 87. Noticeably less engine noise when standing next to the car and it simply drives better.

I had a local shop that has treated me well take a look at it but didn't find anything wrong beyond the stored code at that time. The CEL turned off as I was driving it in for that appointment of course.. car knew I was taking it in to get looked at lol.

I need some guidance on what to start paying attention to next to figure this out. Either I can't google well enough or no one else has posted similar issues on the internet yet.
Guacamole
Scoobytruck God

Re: Extended cranking after fueling then dies about 30s later

Post by Guacamole »

I had a P420 code for about 6 months, replaced the gas cap- nothing. Turns out my EVAP line right above the rear passenger axle was rusted and split in half. Maybe your exhaust is backed up?
firebanex
Scoobytruck Lurker

Post by firebanex »

That's a good point.. We don't have a ton of rust up here but the car is 17 years old anyways. I'll crawl around underneath when it cools off enough to want to work outside again. I do know that everything immediately coming off the charcoal canister felt super solid and wasn't suspect.
firebanex
Scoobytruck Lurker

Post by firebanex »

Update on this for anyone in the future searching for this problem when the charcoal canister or EVAP solenoid in the rear of the car isn't the problem. I think I finally figured it out and fixed the problem. My hunch that that EVAP solenoid that is located on the passenger side of the engine under the intake manifold had a minor leak or was getting stuck open or closed. It took a good couple weeks to get the part but I finally put it in yesterday and successfully filled the car with gas and it started with no issues!

For reference, part number is 16102AA080 and it's called a Duty Solenoid Valve. It's located up in the engine bay under the passenger side intake manifold.