Headlight restoration!

Technical Discussions - Got a mechanical problem?

Moderator: bajabob

SoobyToo58
Scoobytruck Master

Headlight restoration!

Post by SoobyToo58 »

Does anyone out there have any advice as to how to preserve the clear plastic on headlights?
We all know they get foggy and yellowed over time and I would like to prevent this with a replacement set that I want to install. The replacement set is used but they are in very good condition and the clear lenses look nice and new and very clear and I want to keep them that way.
Has anyone restored a foggy set of headlights to make them look nice and clear like new ones or has anyone done something to preserve a new set that has kept them looking like new without going foggy or yellow for years?
I'm looking for something that someone has actually used and knows from personal experience that it lasts for years.
greymud
Scoobytruck Master

Re: Headlight restoration!

Post by greymud »

I redid my headlights a couple of years ago with an off the shelf polishing kit that goes on a drill. I finished with a UV clearcoat spray and they look just as perfect now.

I don't care what ayone says, remove the lenses to buff them. You'll hit the paint somewhere. I jammed a couple sticks in the ground to hold them up for spraying.
05 NA 5MT
SoobyToo58
Scoobytruck Master

Post by SoobyToo58 »

greymud wrote: Tue Feb 28, 2023 2:41 pm I redid my headlights a couple of years ago with an off the shelf polishing kit that goes on a drill. I finished with a UV clearcoat spray and they look just as perfect now.

I don't care what ayone says, remove the lenses to buff them. You'll hit the paint somewhere. I jammed a couple sticks in the ground to hold them up for spraying.
Hey greymud,
Thanks for the quick response. Yours is the kind of response I'm looking for since you're telling me they look just as perfect now after a couple of years. How many years ago did you do it?
I have a few more follow up questions.

Do you remember what polishing kit you used and was it specifically for restoring headlights?
Any more important tips or things to know when polishing the lens?

Do you remember which specific UV Clearcoat you used?
Any tips or things to know for spraying on the clearcoat? How many coats did you spray on?
THANKS AGAIN!

To anyone else reading this,
If you have restored your headlights I would still like to know what you used and how you did it and what your long term experience is after you restored your headlights.
I'd like to hear from a few people who have done this and had good long term results before I decide because the headlights I bought weren't cheap and I want to get it right and not mess them up.

greymud
Scoobytruck Master

Post by greymud »

I'm pretty sure it was a 3M kit for the restoration. Keep spraying water on sandpaper, but the polish needs to be dry.

I think I used Spectral UV clearcoat - not positive. light coats - I think I did 3.

Probably 3 years, maybe 4.
05 NA 5MT
denisepeter944
Scoobytruck Lurker

Post by denisepeter944 »

greymud wrote:I redid my headlights a couple of years ago with an off the shelf polishing kit that goes on a drill. I finished with a UV clearcoat spray and they look just as perfect now.

Interesting

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk