Winter Weather - Add Weight in the Bed?

General talk about the Subaru Baja.

Moderator: mikenmel08

20Baja06
Scoobytruck Contributer

Winter Weather - Add Weight in the Bed?

Post by 20Baja06 »

So last season I had a spare set of wheels in the bed because I didn’t have room to store them elsewhere. That has since been remedied. I made it through any and all weather we had without much issue at all and with tires that didn’t have much tread. New tires this go round as well. But I’m curious - despite the AWD - the Baja is still a pickup. And pickups in the winter weather generally do better with additional weight in the bed.

Anyone want to share their experiences and whether adding weight makes any difference, for better or for worse?
-Brian
mike-tracy
Scoobytruck Master

Re: Winter Weather - Add Weight in the Bed?

Post by mike-tracy »

I think the main reason is the weight distribution between a typical pickup and a Baja. I believe the Baja is close to 50/50 weight distribution along with the AWD power split that helps balance it.

I have driven my Baja extensively in the snow the last 5 years and it feels like my outback, slightly more ass end heavy, but not enough to feel sketchy. I can grab the ebrake and make it do fun drifts if I want... ;)
1992 Legacy SS, 5mt and heavily modified
2000 Impreza RSTi Coupe
2003 Baja, H6 and Dual Range 5mt swap
20Baja06
Scoobytruck Contributer

Re: Winter Weather - Add Weight in the Bed?

Post by 20Baja06 »

Thanks for the reply, Mike. I definitely prefer the fuel economy without the loaded down bed. We’ll try it out this season and see how it goes!
-Brian