Cracked Camshaft Cap

Technical Discussions - Got a mechanical problem?

Moderator: bajabob

kzaske
Scoobytruck Contributer

Cracked Camshaft Cap

Post by kzaske »

I need some options. While trying to set the left head to it's timing mark there were three loud cracks. :oops: I was afraid I broke the head and let it sit for almost a month before I could bring myself to actually take it apart to see what I and my son did. I don't have much of a budget (about $100.00) please keep that in mind.
When I got the head off and took the rocker rods off I saw the crack on the intake side of the camshaft cap. The crack does not extend all the way through the ends, so there is no danger of an oil leak.
I have been advised that J-B Weld (High Temp) would take care of it, but there is about a 2mm offset in the middle of the crack where the two center bolts fit. I have found a "machine shop" head that I can buy which will take almost my entire budget. I am not sure the cap will be intact. I also need to find a gasket for the cap, any ideas where I can find one will be greatly appreciated. Photos below.
Attachments
Cracked Drivers Side Head.jpg
Cracked Drivers Side Head.jpg (3.08 MiB) Viewed 4487 times
Camshaft Cap Top.jpg
Camshaft Cap Top.jpg (3.63 MiB) Viewed 4487 times
Camshaft Cap Bottom.jpg
Camshaft Cap Bottom.jpg (3.63 MiB) Viewed 4487 times
2003 Subaru Baja
Automatic Transmission
About 215K miles.
Guacamole
Scoobytruck God

Re: Cracked Camshaft Cap

Post by Guacamole »

Not a mechanic, but would replace vs repair. Assuming this is an EJ253 engine, could probably pull parts from a gen-3 NA legacy?
ZUBAJA
Scoobytruck Master

Post by ZUBAJA »

I'm a mechanic, and I wouldn't trust that with a "repair". You may run into problems with bore matching if using a used cap. Dennis
kzaske
Scoobytruck Contributer

Post by kzaske »

I purchessed (off of ebay) a "shop only head," Took it apart to check the camshaft cap. The head itself seems to be in good condation and seriously thought about cleaning it up and changing out the valves in it for me to use. But as I looked it over I found dried oil resude and burnt slug all over the inside. I don't have access to a solvent tank to clean it up so that idea when out the window. The camshaft In the burnt head turnes very easly, just as it should. The camshaft installed in the head that belongs to the engine does not turn easly, that has me worried.
I cleaned up the camshaft cap from the burnt head checked it's flatness, good but not great. There are a couple of spots where I could get a piece of notebook paper between the cap and the ruler. Given the use of a liquid gasket I think I will be ok with it. I could not find a flatness specification for the camshaft cap. So now the cap from the burnt head is installed on the head that belongs to the engine and now the camshft is even harder to rotate. I am becoming even more concerned. It can no longer be rotated by gripping the shaft, I need to use either a ratchet or the timing gear. Neither are easy. Any ideas as to why?
I was hoping to have this done months ago so I could take it hunting. Alas, no Baja no hunting; which makes me want to cry.
2003 Subaru Baja
Automatic Transmission
About 215K miles.