Fixing tire rub at full lock

Technical Discussions - Got a mechanical problem?

Moderator: bajabob

TheRogueToyota
Scoobytruck Lurker

Fixing tire rub at full lock

Post by TheRogueToyota »

Hello again everyone.

I recently picked up a 04 baja turbo with 2" ADF lift and 235/70R16 grabber ATs. So far I love the car but there's a few issues I'm having with the setup.

The car came with no fender liners. I found some off a junkyard, but I'm worried my tires will just destroy them. It's a winter car and I live in Michigan so I'd rather not throw salt into places it shouldn't be. Anyone run these size tires with fender liners still?

Also, my tires rub at full lock. Is there an easy way to solve this? Basically I think I have 3 options:

1. Spacers: I don't think I'd want larger than 5 mm wheels spacers, and I'm even hesitant about that due to bearing wear. Anyone running them?
2. Smaller tires: I'll probably do this eventually, but the tires have good tread and I like the look so I don't want to trash them.
3. Higher wheel offset: Requires a new set of wheels, but having a spare set isn't the worst thing.
4. Decrease the steering rack range: I know on stuff like a wrangler it's as simple as a adding a washer onto the stops. Is it that simple for our cars? I know this will effect turning radius, but I don't really care that much.

Anyone have any thoughts?