Rack and pinion interchange?

Technical Discussions - Got a mechanical problem?

Moderator: bajabob

ikea_femme
Scoobytruck Lurker

Rack and pinion interchange?

Post by ikea_femme »

One of the boots on my rack and pinion is leaking and the power steering works but it feels a little weak. It was bad when I first got the car, with belt squealing near the locks and the power steering reservoir was full of gravy instead of Chinese sweet and sour sauce, so I flushed it a few times with full synthetic Dextron IV ATF and tightened the belt. The noises stopped.

I'd like to replace the whole thing with one that's not failed yet. I want to avoid remanufactured racks and pinions because they sound like they're unreliable, but there's not any oem Baja rack and pinions available new or used on eBay. I know Subarus are Legos and eBay sellers suggest I install remanufactured ones for Outbacks and Foresters, but I don't know how all this works.

Would another Subaru rack and pinion be a bolt-in fix or would it take improvisation? Are there any trustworthy remans?
(It's a 2005 turbo automatic BTW!)

E: I haven't opened the boot to be clear, I'm scared it'd just start gushing. It's possible it's a leak from somewhere else but I'm inclined to think the muddy fluid was from that. The fluid level isn't decreasing quickly, so maybe I'm wrong?
mike-tracy
Scoobytruck Master

Re: Rack and pinion interchange?

Post by mike-tracy »

The turbo Baja had a unique power steering rack, but it is fully interchangeable with 2000-2004 Legacy all models (GT, Outback, LL Bean H6, etc)
1992 Legacy SS, 5mt and heavily modified
2000 Impreza RSTi Coupe
2003 Baja, H6 and Dual Range 5mt swap
ikea_femme
Scoobytruck Lurker

Post by ikea_femme »

Do they all perform similarly and install the same?
mike-tracy
Scoobytruck Master

Post by mike-tracy »

The outback ones are slightly slower than the non outback Legacy's. None of them will turn you into Travis Pastrana, if that's what you're asking.
1992 Legacy SS, 5mt and heavily modified
2000 Impreza RSTi Coupe
2003 Baja, H6 and Dual Range 5mt swap
ikea_femme
Scoobytruck Lurker

Post by ikea_femme »

No, that's fine! I just don't want to downgrade or worry about it driving weird.
ZUBAJA
Scoobytruck Master

Post by ZUBAJA »

I have used two rebuilt racks from Detroit (Steering? don't remember the rest, but I'll look it up). Bought them off ebay. Totally happy with both, lifetime warranty. Dennis
ikea_femme
Scoobytruck Lurker

Post by ikea_femme »

On further inspection, the oil on the steering rack must have been from elsewhere. The spot hasn't grown or changed.

I just ended up swapping the ATF a few more times. It's amazing how much corrosion or muck was in there, but now the power steering is quiet, strong enough (I used to drive a Camry so maybe there's a bit less assist than I'm used to by design?), and smooth. I figure if the rack is damaged/leaking, I'll see a puddle.