Front calipers

Technical Discussions - Got a mechanical problem?

Moderator: bajabob

06Suparu
Scoobytruck Master

Front calipers

Post by 06Suparu »

So..today was another fun filled day. Fixed the shifter cable that didnt want to shift lower than 3rd gear. Just needed a good blast of penetrating oil. Deep Creep to the rescue. Still cant figure out the "rumbling" from the back of the car..not all the time..just enough to drive me insane. Thought it might be the spare tire..nope. Naturally i cant help but see brake fluid on the back of the drivers front caliper. Soooooooo. Someone replaced it before i bought it and didnt tighten the banjo bolt. Easy fix. Had a stuck slide so i got that all loosened and done. Decided that since i cant stop there..i should have lol. Passengers front caliper was the enemy of the day. 1 stuck slide. Deep Creep didnt get it. Hammer and a vise didnt get it either. 💡I have an Outback that has newer calipers. Same basic car right? WRONG! Baja caliper wont bolt to Outback bracket. Back to the Outback for the caliper. Baja brake pads are different than the Outback pads. Back to the Outback AGAIN for the Outback pads. The brake surface itself is the same size its just the metal backing is different. Whodathunkit.
So my observations are this. The Baja bracket and calipers are without a doubt beefier than the Outback. I dont understand why the brake pad backing is different while still keeping the same size pad. I will take the drivers caliper and swap it for the Outback also next weekend. I also noticed the front seal on the rear diff was leaking. Makes me wonder if the bearing is the occasional rumbling i hear. Kinda doubt it but who knows.