Strange grumbling off and on

Technical Discussions - Got a mechanical problem?

Moderator: bajabob

06Suparu
Scoobytruck Master

Strange grumbling off and on

Post by 06Suparu »

This is different to me lol. Its the 05 n/a i just bought. New timing belt, head gaskets, exhaust front to rear. Car runs amazing and then all of a sudden it sounded like the exhaust was banging on something. Crawled under and muscled onto the exhaust like a gorilla and its not even close to hitting anything. Sound comes and goes. Doesnt matter if im in a turn or not. Doesnt change if i apply brakes. My first thought was rear diff or hub assembly but now im thinking driveshaft carrier bearing. I have a complete OB wagon to pull parts from but dont really feel like throwing parts at this like spaghetti until something sticks. I am befuddled.
Guacamole
Scoobytruck God

Re: Strange grumbling off and on

Post by Guacamole »

If it sounds like a rapid rattling my 06 NA does this too. Can't find the source since it only really does it at 70mph, sounds like it's a rattle in the header's heat shield.
06Suparu
Scoobytruck Master

Post by 06Suparu »

Not a heat shield..those are all gone lol.
Guacamole
Scoobytruck God

Post by Guacamole »

Piston slap?
06Suparu
Scoobytruck Master

Post by 06Suparu »

No it sounds like its coming from the back of the car..more or less. Engine runs fantastic.
06Suparu
Scoobytruck Master

Post by 06Suparu »

Ok so i finally figured out what the noise was. All the times under the car trying to figure it out and it turns out that the very tip of the tailpipe was hitting the back of the trailer hitch but only when i ran it hard. I bent the edge of the tailpipe just a bit and no problem. It was really strange to see how much the exhaust system expanded and contracted. At least 1/2 an inch.
mike-tracy
Scoobytruck Master

Post by mike-tracy »

Thanks for the follow-up. I noticed my exhaust tip was super close when I was installing the tow hitch. Haven't checked since.
1992 Legacy SS, 5mt and heavily modified
2000 Impreza RSTi Coupe
2003 Baja, H6 and Dual Range 5mt swap
STEVEW
Scoobytruck Contributer

Post by STEVEW »

That happened to me when I first put on my hitch too. It took a while to figure it out.