Why is my fuel pump leaking?

Technical Discussions - Got a mechanical problem?

Moderator: bajabob

airedoc1
Scoobytruck Lurker

Why is my fuel pump leaking?

Post by airedoc1 »

I have an 05 Turbo MT that leaks fuel out the top of the tank between the fuel pump and the black gasket under it. Obviously it mainly happens the first day that it gets filled up. Pump works fine, no leaks at the hoses. The dealer says it has had the recall done on it. So here is my question. I can push down on the pump and see gas squeeze out between the black seal and the pump, like the pump is not pressed tight to the gasket. The bolts around the perimeter of the pump are all bottomed out and tight but clearly not pressing the pump and the gasket together. I have seen some Subaru pumps have a metal ring around the outside of the pump assembly, but mine does not. Can you tell me if your pump has a black metal ring around the top of it that the bolts go through or do they just contact the plastic top of the pump. The white plastic top of the pump has the word Subaru molded into it so it looks like it is an OEM pump. It seems like the ring around the pump top would give it enough pressure to seal and the bolts would not be bottomed out.
airedoc1
Scoobytruck Lurker

Re: Why is my fuel pump leaking?

Post by airedoc1 »

OK, I will answer my own question. I went to the junk yard today and found an Outback from similiar year and got the fuel pump top plate, black and made out of it metal. The pumps looked identical. I disconnected the hoses and put the retainer plate on and it snugged the fuel pump up perfectly. No more leaking past the seal. I cant believe the dealer did the recall and completely whiffed on proper reassembly. It was done in Encinitas CA. Anyways it was a pretty simple fix all in all.
20Baja06
Scoobytruck Contributer

Post by 20Baja06 »

Thanks for following up!

The parts diagrams definitely showed something there but it doesn't say it's black or metal. Now we know.
-Brian
Guacamole
Scoobytruck God

Post by Guacamole »

Haven't checked by in a few days. In case you couldn't tell, this isn't the most active forum.
Glad you found a solution though.