Subaru factory undercoating

General talk about the Subaru Baja.

Moderator: mikenmel08

harleyjohn45
Scoobytruck Contributer

Subaru factory undercoating

Post by harleyjohn45 »

What color was the Baja's painted on the under side, Mine appears to have not been painted on the bottom. Brake rotors and frame parts have corrosion.
harleyjohn45
Scoobytruck Contributer

Re: Subaru factory undercoating

Post by harleyjohn45 »

I suppose no one knows, I do know Subaru's have rust problems.
mike-tracy
Scoobytruck Master

Post by mike-tracy »

Hey John, when you say undercoating, I think of the rubbery stuff that covers the majority of the underside. I'm not aware of that stuff being painted a particular color.

If you're talking about the black paint that's on crossmemembers, control arms, sway bar's, and etc, I'm not sure. A friend of mine is restoring his 94 Legacy, and is wirewheeling those painted parts. After degreasing and cleaning the parts, he used an automotive (as in, purchased from Autozone or O'Reilly's) paint converter primer. Then he used black automotive paint from the same source. Other than a slight difference in the shade (that you really can't notice), it looks original.

John, all forums are slow these days. Most people moved to facebook groups 5-10 years back. So if you want to get on a site with a bunch of traffic and (hopefully) experts, the Baja facebook forum would be my guess. If you prefer to stick to the forums (as I do), then you'll need to do more searching and digging to find your answers.
1992 Legacy SS, 5mt and heavily modified
2000 Impreza RSTi Coupe
2003 Baja, H6 and Dual Range 5mt swap
harleyjohn45
Scoobytruck Contributer

Post by harleyjohn45 »

Thanks Mike:

My car had some corrosion underneath. It spent a few years in Mass. I used an air scaler and a wire brush, then I used Ospho derust, then I primed everything and sprayed it with undercoating. The underside of the bed was painted silver at the factory and still foes not have a spec of rust. I had your Turbo rebuilt by John Pierce of Michigan, he did a great job.
Thanks for your reply
John