06 Baja turbo manual engine swap

Technical Discussions - Got a mechanical problem?

Moderator: bajabob

deanrocker
Scoobytruck Contributer

06 Baja turbo manual engine swap

Post by deanrocker »

Ok ... On 12/24/20 the timing belt snapped on my Baja. It had 160k miles on it. I tried replacing belt, and it did start, but ran rough.
I'm considering buying a 2.0 JDM engine for $800, and trying to swap it myself. I already have engine bay partially disassembled.
I am mechanically inclined and can follow directions and have decent tools. I will have to buy an engine hoist.
Anyway, please tell me ... Is this a major project best left to a mechanic, or can someone with patience and time who is mechanically inclined succeed in swapping?
If the latter, any tips or links to videos or step by steps guides would be appreciated. Thanks.
End game us probably to sell it, a d I think I'd get much more than selling as-is. It was very fun to drive, but am opting for more towing power. Am hoping to get $8k or so once running.
Guacamole
Scoobytruck God

Re: 06 Baja turbo manual engine swap

Post by Guacamole »

deanrocker wrote: Wed Jul 28, 2021 10:38 am Anyway, please tell me ... Is this a major project best left to a mechanic, or can someone with patience and time who is mechanically inclined succeed in swapping?
Yes to both. See this thread for details:
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=2531
deanrocker
Scoobytruck Contributer

Post by deanrocker »

Thanks, but I don't envision encountering similar problems to the guy in the link you sent. I am buying a Japanese engine with less than 50k miles on it. No battery acid!
ZUBAJA
Scoobytruck Master

Post by ZUBAJA »

The guy in the link went to extremes. He went from a non turbo vehicle to a turbo. There's gonna be a LOT of extra headaches on that. An engine swap isn't all that complicated - especially if you have a simple "plug and play". My concern with your project would be going from 2.5 (the turbo Bajas are still 2.5 aren't they?) down to a 2.0. I would think there may be some ECM differences. And giving up 20% of your displacement... Keep us posted on the project. Dennis
deanrocker
Scoobytruck Contributer

Post by deanrocker »

Will do. May start today or Monday. I'm told it's a direct swap, but may have to change exhaust and intake manifolds to match up. Both engines are made for turbo dohc. I'm told ecu is direct fit with existing harness.
deanrocker
Scoobytruck Contributer

Post by deanrocker »

I have spent a lot of time researching ECU compatibility for my 2006 MT, Subaru Baja turbo.
With your help and others, I've determined the following, which I'd like confirmation on ...
It was stated here that the Subaru Baja turbo ECU from any year will work on any turbo model Baja. So in other words, a Baja ECU from an automatic transmission of any year will work in my vehicle.
Taking this a step further, my Haynes manual is for the Baja, Forrester, Legacy and Outback. ALL of which have the same pin configuration from 2003-2006 as the Baja ECU. I also determined that from 2005-onward, the Forrester, Legacy and Outback have a transponder/chip key. But from 2003 and 2003, they did NOT.
I want this to be a plug and play experience, with no programming necessary. So, my understanding is that I can achieve that by purchasing an ECU from either a 2003 or 2004 Forrester, Legacy and Outback, or an ECU from a Baja for any year.
Please let me know if this is correct?
One last wrinkle ... My engine was swapped out for a low-milage JDM 2.0 engine. I don't believe cruise control worked after this engine swap, but everything else was fine. Is there a better ECU to work with that engine than any of the above?