Plug contact

Technical Discussions - Got a mechanical problem?

Moderator: bajabob

Diggndeep
Scoobytruck Lurker

Plug contact

Post by Diggndeep »

Wanted to get some opinions on my recent issue. 05 Baja turbo AT @ 198,000 mi. Driving to work with the cruise on it started pulsing while climbing hills. Got worse and CEL came on for misfire #2. By the time I got to work CEL was flashing and showed misfire on all cylinders. Shop found the #2 plug had the electrode smashed w 0 gap. Replaced plug and coil. Seems fine so far (25 mi). They think a chunk of carbon broke loose and contacted plug. I trust the shop and I assume an internal problem would repeat upon cranking. Any thoughts?
Diggndeep
Scoobytruck Lurker

Re: Plug contact

Post by Diggndeep »

Update. The problem came back after 600 miles. Found a chunk of ring on top of the piston:( I will be going the JDM 2.0 motor swap. Would love opinions on keeping my turbo setup vs the twin scroll of the 2.0.
mike-tracy
Scoobytruck Master

Post by mike-tracy »

I'm assuming you're talking about an ej20x or y.

The manual transmission version has a td04 in twins scroll. The auto could come with a smaller VF turbo. I have that td04 on my legacy, it spools faster than the non twin scroll version.

I was expecting with all the hype that the twin scroll would make the car feel like a non turbo with no lag, but that wasn't the case. I had to source a different down pipe since the flanges are all different. The flanges are also different from the STI twinscroll.

My turbo is a TD04HLA-19t, and kinugawa sells a -20t version with slightly larger turbine. Beyond that, there are no larger turbos to upgrade to.
1992 Legacy SS, 5mt and heavily modified
2000 Impreza RSTi Coupe
2003 Baja, H6 and Dual Range 5mt swap
Diggndeep
Scoobytruck Lurker

Post by Diggndeep »

Thanks for the response! Shop has ordered an ej20x. Without spending additional money my options for turbo are either a TD04 or a VF44. Any input would be most helpful and I will continue to update through this process.
Diggndeep
Scoobytruck Lurker

Post by Diggndeep »

Picked up the Baja today. $3110.00 and I'm very pleased with how it runs. I have to run octane booster because of the higher compression which isn't a big deal to me. The shop suggests a tuner and additional gauges so now I'm looking for advice on those options. So happy to have it back!!!
Diggndeep
Scoobytruck Lurker

Transmission options

Post by Diggndeep »

It seems my front transaxle is going. Since it's part of the trans and has over 200k, my shop suggested to get a newer used AT trans. The new to me 2.0 is not ideal with my stock 05 trans so this is an attempt to help that as well. Shop proposed an 09 WRX AT as a swap. Does anyone know if it fits and what would need to happen to match the rear transaxle? Thanks in advance folks.
Guacamole
Scoobytruck God

Re: Transmission options

Post by Guacamole »

Diggndeep wrote: Tue Dec 14, 2021 4:01 pm Shop proposed an 09 WRX AT as a swap. Does anyone know if it fits and what would need to happen to match the rear transaxle? Thanks in advance folks.
No idea if that will fit but the Baja Turbos use Gen-2 Forester XT (2002-2008) drivetrain, I'd look for one of those before messing around with a WRX drivetrain assuming the rest of it still works. If the drive ratio on that WRX trans doesn't match your rear diff, you're gonna have to swap that too.