Noise when clutch pedal released

Technical Discussions - Got a mechanical problem?

Moderator: bajabob

vegashelipilot
Scoobytruck Lurker

Noise when clutch pedal released

Post by vegashelipilot »

2005 Baja, non-turbo.

Backstory: I just got back my freshly rebuilt EJ25 short block, bolted on a set of reman heads, adjusted valves, replaced water pump and timing kit, replaced oil pump, plug wires etc etc and replaced flywheel (exedy, which came with a new bearing), clutch kit (sachs) along with a new oversized throwout bearing and sleeve kit purchased from my Subaru dealership (i discovered whomever did the last clutch used one of these kits, so i decided to replace it with another one as the transmission shaft was indeed grooved/scored).

Problem: So after filling with fluids, cranking over the motor a few times to get oil circulating, I finally do my first start. It sounds great, no leaks, but when I release the clutch pedal (i'm in neutral) I hear this awful sound, like a bad bearing or something. The noise goes away when I push the clutch pedal back in. I put it in first gear, start letting the clutch out and drive about 20 feet and with the clutch all the way out its making the same noise.

I never had any issues with the clutch or transmission before taking the motor out. Any thoughts on what it could be before I drop the transmission or pull the motor out again on this thing?

Video of the sound:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yj_q-lzBFSg
SupeRoo Baja
Scoobytruck Contributer

Re: Noise when clutch pedal released

Post by SupeRoo Baja »

Hey, Sounds like you have to pull the Tranny, but you can try to isolate the problem a bit before you do.

Hopefully (and I don't think this is an issue on our Baja's) you don't have a PULL type clutch. Some 05 subi models came out with the RS2.5 clutch. I *Think* Subaru had a supply issue and had to put in a different type of clutch for a few cars. SOA denies this, but I've seen it on several 05 legacy models.

Before pulling the trans, I would check a few things:

First, check for Shift Fork play/incorrect install
Put the car in neutral, engine off.
Remove the clutch slave cyl so the shift fork is free
Start the car in neutral, break on.
Move/wiggle the shift fork by hand (you shouldn't be able to actuate the clutch by hand) and check if the noise appears as you move the fork. This will tell you if it's just the fork hitting the clutch, or the fork is not seated in the retainer clip correctly. If you are good.. you *can* remove the fork w/out pulling the tranny.. but it's a bit fiddly, and if you drop the fork/spring, you'll most likely be pulling the trans anyhow.

Otherwise (source: www.knowyourparts.com) ;
Start with a road test of the vehicle. Listen for noise with the transmission in gear and the clutch pedal to the floor. Next release the clutch with the transmission in first gear. Noise under this condition indicates a worn release/throw out bearing or a worn pilot bearing.

To isolate the two, keep the clutch pedal on the floor and shift the transmission into neutral. If the noise persists, the release/throw out bearing is bad. If the noise is gone, the pilot bearing is bad.

A bearing noise that occurs when releasing the clutch pedal to engage the clutch while in neutral, but goes away when the pedal is depressed is caused by a bad transmission input shaft bearing.

Good Luck! :shock: