Smoking bad after turbo replacment

Technical Discussions - Got a mechanical problem?

Moderator: bajabob

Jtroutt
Scoobytruck Lurker

Smoking bad after turbo replacment

Post by Jtroutt »

I have an 06 baja with about 100,000 miles. I was driving home and it lost a lot of power and started making weird noises. I immediately suspected the turbo. I got home and took it off and sure enough it was completely destroyed inside. I ordered a new one and put it on. It was one problem after the next. I had to do the whole job twice. Anyway I finally got everything put back together. I pulled the ignition fuse and turned it over a few times to prime the new turbo. Then I cranked it. It started up great I let it run for about 10 minutes and topped off my coolant. I drove it down my driveway and then about a quarter mile down the road and back. As I pulled back in my drive it started blowing white smoke out of the exhaust really bad. A lot of smoke so much that it lingered in the air. So I don't know what to do now.

A couple of things. When the old one failed it blew oil all into my intercooler. I did the best I could to clean it out. I flushed it with kerosine a couple of times but it still has a bit in it. oil also got into the downpipe. There was oil all under the car as well. The old turbo was mangled.

So the question is is my engine ruined or is this smoke coming from all the left over oil that blew out of the old turbo? I noticed in my brief test drive the power was back and it was ready to go but I didn't want to push it too hard. So what do I do now?
ZUBAJA
Scoobytruck Master

Re: Smoking bad after turbo replacment

Post by ZUBAJA »

White smoke is USUALLY a sign of a head gasket (or coolant getting into the intake). Note USUALLY. In your case it COULD be residual kerosene from the intercooler. Check the oil to make sure it isn't milky looking. Check the coolant to make sure there is no oil residue. If both check out, I suggest you drive it a little more and see id things clear up. Dennis