First Oil Change - Messy!

Technical Discussions - Got a mechanical problem?

Moderator: bajabob

Atomic Baja
Scoobytruck Contributer

First Oil Change - Messy!

Post by Atomic Baja »

Did the first oil change on my 2005 Turbo yesterday. That was easily the messiest oil change I've ever done!!! I saw something to replace the oil drain plug at Autozone, but did not have the measurements of the drain plug. It is hardware that allows you to quickly drain the oil. The nice thing about it is that it has a hose you can attach to it to make draining the oil less messy. Anyone have the actual measurements of the drain plug?

As far as the oil filter goes; I couldn't believe I had to remove a plastic panel to get to the oil filter. I don't think I want to trust my local Quik Lube guys with that!
jaxed
All-Mighty Scoobytruck Admin

Post by jaxed »

Bingo! I've done two changes now and it's been messy both times. The filter angle sucks, so I always have oil running all over the place when I remove it. Also, I am not used to having the oil pan so high above the ground... it all rushes out and splashes everywhere... UGH.
Flowmastered87GL
Scoobytruck Master

Post by Flowmastered87GL »

I am happy to be only at like 350 miles... dont have to change it for a while... I too am worried about all those plastic covers under there. I may take it to my independent subaru guy so I can sit there and watch how he properly removes all the plastic splash guards.

Maybe I'll get a primitive racing metal skid plate for it if/when the plastic one breaks :D
2005 Baja Sport, 51k ("NU BRAT")
2004 Freightliner Columbia Day Cab 504k
mbaksic
Scoobytruck God

Post by mbaksic »

I guess I have it made, I change mine at work on my hoist. Since the engine stays level, you never make a mess. :D One good thing about working for a stealership I guess. The only way to do it at home and not make a big mess would be to raise the rear of the Baja also, so the whole thing is level. That makes it alot easier. Mike
Atomic Baja
Scoobytruck Contributer

Post by Atomic Baja »

mbaksic wrote:I guess I have it made, I change mine at work on my hoist. Since the engine stays level, you never make a mess. :D One good thing about working for a stealership I guess. The only way to do it at home and not make a big mess would be to raise the rear of the Baja also, so the whole thing is level. That makes it alot easier. Mike
Hi Mike! Being that you work at a dealership, do you know what the size of the oil drain plug is? I'm trying to figure out which FRAM® SureDRAIN™ Fast Access Oil Change System size to use on my Baja. Looks like it would make life a little easier for those of us with out a lift!
mbaksic
Scoobytruck God

Post by mbaksic »

I have never measured the threads on the plug, but I will the next time I pull it out, prolly in a few weeks, then I will post the results, if nobody else has yet. My guess is about 14 mm, but I think its larger since the oil drains out so fast. Mike
Flowmastered87GL
Scoobytruck Master

Post by Flowmastered87GL »

Please make sure to get a fresh crush washer for the drain plug each time... sometimes you can stretch it every other time, but if you install a drain valve... spend the 70 cents and run to the dealer for a washer. Often if you buy a filter or say you forgot it last time they may GIVE it to you.
2005 Baja Sport, 51k ("NU BRAT")
2004 Freightliner Columbia Day Cab 504k
mbaksic
Scoobytruck God

Post by mbaksic »

I should get a new washer for mine, it has NEVER been changed yet, and I have 50,000 miles on it. Lucky it hasn't leaked yet I guess. Mike
Bill Bourne
Scoobytruck Contributer

Post by Bill Bourne »

http://www.fumotovalve.com/

Take a look at this site. I have these on all my cars and they work great.
2005 Sport, Atlantic Blue Pearl, A/T
baha
Scoobytruck Lurker

a couple of changes now on the turbo

Post by baha »

It's messier yet! the filter is dinky, and stuck in a very tight spot. I tried a plastic bag last time to catch the drip when loosening, it seems to have pressure, when you loosen it oil squirts all over.

next, I'm going to puncture the bottom of the filter, and let it drain.

The problem with the mess is the dirty oil gets on the exhaust system, and stinks for a couple of hundred miles, and the dealer did the worst mess one my 1st complimentary oil change.

I'll post back on how my next one goes
Baja Turbo
Scoobytruck Lurker

Post by Baja Turbo »

Get you some brake cleaner to spray off the used oil on the exhaust and it will evaporate and clean up good with no more oil smell.I change my oil at work to using a lift,i can see where it could be messy changing it on the ground.
GOT BOOST
Hawk296
Scoobytruck Master

Post by Hawk296 »

wow, I really didnt think it was that difficult. Its slightly tougher than the older cars without and plastic on teh bottom, but definatly not bad. you just remove the 3 pegs, slide the door out, remove the drain plug quickly (only a few drops hit the plastic cover, then losen the filter and let it drain. when dripping slows get a wag of paper towns and remove it. as mentioned get braek clean and spray off any drops.
X20
Scoobytruck Contributer

freakin' me out man!

Post by X20 »

dudes, dudes, most beloved dudes,
you guys had me all worried about changing my oil, with all this non sense, so i was going to the dealer to get it done, this weekend i did it myself for the first time and it was a magical moment of pure petrol-bliss. the cover slid right off, it even had a little handle to slide off perfectly. the drain plug was angled just right so when i removed it the oil gushed quickly and perfectly into the oil disposal pan waiting for it. When that was done draining, i had the oil filter easily accessible for me, just waiting to be undone. there was even enough room to fit the filter wrench with no problems at all!! I loosened it and let it drain into the pan a little, then i removed it, no problems at all. I would say it was designed to be made easy for the common man (or woman) it really made me love my subaru even more just because they designed it to be soo easy. this was the best and easiest oil change i have ever done to any car ever!!

oh yea and maybe its messy because your oil catcher/pan isnt too good
im hooked on how easy it is and the dealer will never touch my oil again! :D laters
jaxed
All-Mighty Scoobytruck Admin

Post by jaxed »

I've definately refined the way I change the oil. I bring the oil disposal pan closer to the drain plug to minimize splashing, and I slowly remove the oil filter and let it drain a bit before fully removing it. It's not that bad.
thedanc
Scoobytruck Lurker

Just did mine - removed the whole panel

Post by thedanc »

I couldn't get just the little piece for accessing the oil filter to come out, so I removed the whole plastic skid plate. That was 5 bolts and 2 side screws. At that point the change was fairly straight forward.

The drain plug is really wide so the oil drains VERY quickly. It is best to be ready for that.

The oil filter is straight vertical. I've never seen that before. This is messy. Loosening the filter makes oil piddle down the sides of it. I just let it piddle until it was done, then took it off the rest of the way.

-Dan
-Dan
2006 Baja Turbo