Bed Covers

General talk about the Subaru Baja.

Moderator: mikenmel08

Fuzzy
Scoobytruck Contributer

Bed Covers

Post by Fuzzy »

Hello,
I just got a 2005 Baja Sport this year and so far I am enjoying it. Unfortantly I'm not having much luck in finding the bed cover. I am going to have someone make one I think. I am debating on just the cover so I can just roll it up if I need to get inside or something hard that I would have to take off if I wanted to put something inside. I was wondering what kind of covers people have on there Bajas so I can get an idea.

Thanks,
Fuzzy
mbaksic
Scoobytruck God

Post by mbaksic »

Hello Fuzzy, and welcome to the wonderful world of Baja!! I have the factory tonneau cover on my 03. Its ok, but it is tearing at the rear corners. Despite that, I like it because it can be removed for bigger things. I have not had to remove the plastic piece that goes between the bars yet though. I removed it once to put cap tape under it to try to slow down the water that came through when it rains. The factory tonneau, will work, but the bad things are its not watertight, not theftproof, and the corners tear after awhile. Somebody else should be able to give you details on a hard, fiberglass cover, as a few of our members have those. Mike
Fuzzy
Scoobytruck Contributer

Bed cover

Post by Fuzzy »

Thank you for the warm welcome...

I was worried about the tearing of those covers. How long did it take before it started tearing? I was also wondering if anyone had the Ozzbros Hard Bed Cover. It is address, http://www.subaruxtras.com/SearchResult ... egoryID=83 , but on page 2. I was thinking this one cause it locks. Hopefully it wouldn't be difficult to install. And wondering if the back part comes off easy.

Fuzzy
Mr. Jalapeño
Scoobytruck Contributer

Post by Mr. Jalapeño »

Welcome!
I have the Ozzbros cover and I can't recommend it highly enough!
You'll find a pic of my Baja with the cover along with a detailed description later in the thread here--
http://scoobytruck.com/bb/viewtopic.php?t=202&start=45

Note that I chose the option where you bolt on a steel strip with the lock attachment already pre-attached to the existing mounts on the tailgate rather than drill any holes.
I'll try and answer any questions you may have concerning this cover.

Check out the 'Downloads' page here for the simple installation info.

http://www.ozzbros.com/
Fuzzy
Scoobytruck Contributer

Bed cover

Post by Fuzzy »

Mr Jalapeno,
I would rather not drill holes either, is it still secure with the lock when you choose that option you chose? May I ask what kinda price it cost you for this bed cover. How heavy is it when you take it off the bed cover? Does it fit well behind the seat, or do you just put it on the seat. Sorry for all these questions.

Fuzzy
Mr. Jalapeño
Scoobytruck Contributer

Post by Mr. Jalapeño »

Cost me about $500, not including postage and the alternative strike plate (bolted onto a steel strip). I ordered directly from Ozzbros which I recommend, as Roger will answer any and all questions that you may have. That's where I learned about the alternative strike plate.

The alternative may be even more secure than drilling the strike plate directly into the vehicle.
The strike plate is only 3 inches wide, and although you'll receive a template to help you align it, you'd better do it right!
The steel strip is 42 inches long and is screwed into existing holes along the top of your tailgate.

I don't have a scale handy, but my best guess is that the rear part weighs 20 pounds...it's a very stout cover! It's simple to lift off and store onto the seat, as well. I don't think it will fit behind the seat, though.

Although the price may seem a bit steep, I feel that this is the best thing that I'll ever purchase for my Baja. The amount of detail that went into ensuring that this would fit perfectly is rather amazing to me...I can't even get a butter knife to slide in between the edge of the cover and the edge of the body!
I can guarantee you that the edges or corners of this cover will never tear.
Ozzbros recommends using one particular UV blocking protectant once a month called '303 Aerospace Protectant', which has no petroleum distillates like ArmorAll, etc.

http://www.303products.com/main.php?infopage=protectant

Don't worry at all about the amount of questions you have. This is a pricey, but very worthwhile investment IMO.
I can even post more images if you want.
mbaksic
Scoobytruck God

Post by mbaksic »

Fuzzy, to answer your question on how soon the soft cover tore. I bought my Baja used with 17,000 miles on it. At that time it looked ok. Within 3 months, it started to tear. I had some material sewed on the corners to slow it down, but it is now moving further up the cover. I will have it sewed again, because I am too cheap to spend money right now for another one. I still like the soft cover, so I may go to a trim shop and see if they can make me a new one when this one is entirely shot. Mike
Fuzzy
Scoobytruck Contributer

Bed cover

Post by Fuzzy »

Mike,
I got a feeling from what you said that it wouldn't last long for the price. I would be to cheap also to buy another one.

Mr. Jalapeno,
I went ahead and ordered it, I spoke with Roger. You are right it seems like Roger will answer anything, he seemed very friendly and helpful. I also got the alternative strike plate so it cost a little bit more. I am gonna take you up on you mentioning you could post more pics. I should be getting the bed cover in about 2-4 days.

Fuzzy
Mr. Jalapeño
Scoobytruck Contributer

Post by Mr. Jalapeño »

OK...even though you've already ordered it, here we go--

This image shows the strike plate attached to the rear door and the locking mechanism on the underside of the cover. Note that you'll need to buy a TORX #25 screwdriver/wrench in order to get the bolts off of the back door so you can then align the strike plate to fit in the bolt holes. The plate itself uses Philips screws to attach to the door:

This image shows the two parts of the cover from an inside view. Note the steel strip on the larger piece that slides under the smaller piece once you've placed it on the vehicle. Also note the rounded edges on the smaller pieces to accomodate the 'sports bars':

Finally, a detail of one corner:

I'm sure you'll be well pleased with your new cover. Remember to only use the 303 Aerospace Protectant on it once a month or so to keep it looking great and to add years onto its lifespan.
You don't need to keep the cover locked unless you want to. Roger explained to me that it was only a legal disclaimer that he had to add to the brochure.

Let us know what you think when it arrives!
Last edited by Mr. Jalapeño on Mon Aug 01, 2005 9:13 pm, edited 2 times in total.
mbaksic
Scoobytruck God

Post by mbaksic »

Yes, let us know how it fits and works, I may do go that route instead of fixing the darn soft cover. Mike
Fuzzy
Scoobytruck Contributer

Bed cover

Post by Fuzzy »

Mike,
I will defintly let you know. The bed cover will be here in 2-4 days. I am also getting the alternative stike plate like Mr. Jalapeno cause I don't want to drill any holes if not needed, that piece cost an extra $75, but I'm sure it will be worth it in the long run. For everything with the S&H it cost me $660. From the pricing of just the cover around it sounds like it will be worth it.

Fuzzy
mbaksic
Scoobytruck God

Post by mbaksic »

Sounds like a good price for what you get. I am going to keep my eyes open for a good used factory one if nothing else right now. I do want to change to a different cover, but money is tight, and don't want to spend that extra bucks right now. Mike
Fuzzy
Scoobytruck Contributer

Bed cover

Post by Fuzzy »

The bed cover came in. It really looks nice on my Baja. I will have to get a pic with it and post it, probably within the week. I have to get some of that 303 protectant, I will try to pick some up this weekend.
elfranco
Scoobytruck Lurker

Ordered from ozbros

Post by elfranco »

Hi Gang,
Based on what I read on this site, I ordered a bed cover from Ozzbros in Kansas City. Roger was very helpful, and answered all of my questions. I purchased the optional bar for the strike plate. I am in agreement with Mr. Jalapeno that the optional bar may prove to be sturdier. I should have it next week. This is a very cool site since we are very much in a minority as far as the number of owners around. FYI I priced a Subaru Hard cover and it was somewhere around $3400. There are a few aftermarket covers available, one of which costs $1400 and is fiberglass. I really got tired of searching and went with the OzzBrps at about $660 delivered.
Best of luct to you all
Franco
jaxed
All-Mighty Scoobytruck Admin

Post by jaxed »

Crap, scoobytruck should be getting kickbacks from Ozz. LOL.