Bug guard

General talk about the Subaru Baja.

Moderator: mikenmel08

holland_patrick
Scoobytruck Contributer

Bug guard

Post by holland_patrick »

I was noticing some pitting on my hood and belive it's from traffic. while i do take good care of the blaze I figured she needed a bug shield.

Got the part from the subie dealer 69.00+tax
It came in a large box and was very well wraped My only complaint is of a STICKER on it that said no solvents to be used it should have been one of those vinal sticky things that work via static elec. I used spray and wipe to get the sticky mess off. The instucktions very good but I did a few things out of step. No words just pictures. The one thing i did is place all of the clips on and used them to hold the shield in place otherwise you have to put the two outer ones on last which poses a problem when you put the 3-m clear tape down in after thought i would like to have placed the guard then marked the spots to place the spots of 3-m then replaced the guard. I will remove them and do this during my prewinter cleaning. All in all it took 1/2 hour and only needed a few tools.

mbaksic
Scoobytruck God

Post by mbaksic »

Looks nice. We get those [smilie=damn.gif] international instructions with all of the Dodge accessories. They are a pain in the arse!! Give me some good ol fashion english words to follow anytime!!!!! Mike
cyphergirl
Scoobytruck Master

Re: Bug guard

Post by cyphergirl »

holland_patrick wrote:The instucktions very good but I did a few things out of step. No words just pictures.
Yeah, I hated those instructions. I installed mine back in '03 when I bought the car. Did they improve the fit any? It was a real b*tch to get on; lots of pressure against the clips.
Flowmastered87GL
Scoobytruck Master

Post by Flowmastered87GL »

Does it still attach using the existing fasteners from the rubber seal at the front of the hood like 96 imprezas do?

Pop out some little plastic fasteners, insert the guard between the rubber and hood and use silicone on some screws and thread em in.

Or is it some other method now?
2005 Baja Sport, 51k ("NU BRAT")
2004 Freightliner Columbia Day Cab 504k
BajaBear
Scoobytruck Contributer

Post by BajaBear »

Ya hafta pull the frick'N grill off!
But it gave me a chance to add mesh which helps shread some of the bugs & road debris before it hits my radiator :evil:
I don't like that dang screw right in the middle of the guard
holland_patrick
Scoobytruck Contributer

Post by holland_patrick »

Well there is the pulling of the grill That sucked and it wasn't too bad putting it back on though. There was two plastic screw holders that need to be poped in and then the two clips on the two Fangs I'll call them those are tight but the clear plastic you have will help agaist any damage the clips will make
BajaBear
Scoobytruck Contributer

Bugflector bad for turbo?

Post by BajaBear »

I was just chatting with my Sube parts guy & he says that they're not gonna sell bugflectors for turbos anymore cuz they don't allow enough airflow to the intercooler. :shock:
Does that make sense to any1?
2005 Turbo
Atlantic Pearl Blue
cliffhanger
Scoobytruck Master

Post by cliffhanger »

yes, it makes sense to me, as you will notice, our hood scoops are not very tall - like the sti - so when you put a bugflector on there, it does deflect bugs up and away from hitting the windshield, but it also directs that precious much-needed cooling air away from the scoop... for goodness sakes, dont do it man! (if you're worried about performance) intake air temps go up (especially on hot days, sometimes >280 degf!!), which means less dense air => your baja will run rich...
BajaBear
Scoobytruck Contributer

Re: Bugflector bad for turbo?

Post by BajaBear »

BajaBear wrote:I was just chatting with my Sube parts guy & he says that they're not gonna sell bugflectors for turbos anymore cuz they don't allow enough airflow to the intercooler. :shock:
Does that make sense to any1?
OK-so I talked to the parts guy this wkend(picked up a grommet that'd popped off my tailgate)& he says the bugflector I've got is OK cause the 2005 is lower profile. He had minature models on the counter & they had little flips on the backside to deflect air up high.
2005 Turbo
Atlantic Pearl Blue