Pushbar and side bar options

General talk about the Subaru Baja.

Moderator: mikenmel08

06Suparu
Scoobytruck Master

Re: Pushbar and side bar options

Post by 06Suparu »

I slammed mine hard the other day also. Pushed it sideways about an inch and the right side is a bit low now. I did it the same way as you. Pulled into a parking lot. Im not sure if i bent a bracket or just readjusted them yet.
BajaTim
Scoobytruck Contributer

Post by BajaTim »

Here’s an application guide (has Tacoma - and bars for other makes same size) for bull/push bars for all autos - basic dimensions (not actual attachment locations - maybe you can click thru to install instructions ):

http://ranchhand.com/images/Master-Appl ... 9-6-16.pdf

I’m assuming there are other guides and also: other bars that “fit” - a lot of bars under $50 come up on FB & CL - never with measurements and often without mentioning make #wtf??

I haven’t looked - do we have two solid attachment points - seems many other makes attach to TWO tow hooks.

I’ll get under tmrw and see.

Tim

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Ben Staad
Scoobytruck Master

Post by Ben Staad »

Sorry to hear that. I'm exploring spacers/lifts to gain a little height in the front and rear. Not really interested in doing an actual lift but I think going with 2"-2 1/2" spacers would be helpful.

I don't think I bent my bracket but will check it out this coming weekend.

Ran around my local area, and a few of my typical routes, and tried to identify potential clearance issues. There are certainly a few places I cannot access now, like I typically would, with this bar. For instance my local feed store has a one way setup like a drive through. The exit has a significant transition between the lot and the road.I did a very slow roll at the transition and bottomed out. Actually backed up and went the wrong way back through their lot and excited at the entrance which has a smooth transition. I'm sure I could have exited at the exit but I didn't want to goober up the brackets.
06Suparu wrote: Tue Sep 01, 2020 3:47 pm I slammed mine hard the other day also. Pushed it sideways about an inch and the right side is a bit low now. I did it the same way as you. Pulled into a parking lot. Im not sure if i bent a bracket or just readjusted them yet.
BajaTim
Scoobytruck Contributer

Post by BajaTim »

So our Baja SOLID attachment points under the car are 40.75” apart (outside of bolt holes).

They are oriented “forwards” towards the front of the car so that bolts into the bull bar attachment would be at right angles to the wheels.

I’m assuming that washers/spacers or mounting inside the bolt holds will give us a range of about 40” to 41 “ for mounting points if we want a plug n’ play (no major cutting, fabrication or welding).

Secondly, we would then just have to check the slope/angle of the bar or any skid plate attachment to avoid a “too low” mounting where we would scrape doing normal/daily driving (parking curbs, driveways, speed bumps, etc.).

It does seem then that there are quite a few bars out there. I’ve started to ask peeps selling used bars to send me the measurement (lazy gits).

One of my mech friends has a used Tacoma bar for $75 - seeing quite a few local bars out there for $50-150 - but also a messload for $95-150 brand new on Amazon, Wish, Facebook, etc.

I thought I took some pics but didn’t:)

06Suparu
Scoobytruck Master

Post by 06Suparu »

I have been working on it in my head to come up with measurements for a bar that really hugs the lines under the front bumper but thats as far as ive gotten. Fall and hunting have pushed that to the back burner lol
Izzy
Scoobytruck Lurker

Post by Izzy »

Amazon has this Tacoma bull bar
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01LZ8XIX6/re ... AFb4A447TV
for $97 so I ordered one for my 2005 Baja. I mounted it yesterday. It feels solid and looks great to me.
I hope to fab a skid plate and mount a winch if possible as well.
Attachments
12030C3A-EFA8-4D1A-A843-9A0384C88A9C.jpeg
12030C3A-EFA8-4D1A-A843-9A0384C88A9C.jpeg (3.12 MiB) Viewed 30269 times
2432C2E9-0BE8-49D9-B99D-722E240A5BF3.jpeg
2432C2E9-0BE8-49D9-B99D-722E240A5BF3.jpeg (3.3 MiB) Viewed 30269 times
BajaTim
Scoobytruck Contributer

Post by BajaTim »

Looks great! (out of stock at $141 now). And the mounting points already on the bar would work with the two solid holes I identified! Which mounting points - and how many - did you use?Image

Izzy
Scoobytruck Lurker

Post by Izzy »

Attaching the bracket to the car I used one bolt on each side. I was thinking I’d have to drill for a second bolt on each side but after mounting it to see how things fit, the brackets pivot and lean up against the bumper frame and can’t pivot further. So one bolt per side was sufficient. Then there are two bolts per side mounting the bull bar to the brackets. It feels very sturdy to me.
BTW, I got it for $97 tho I see it is now $141 and not in stock. It is likely all Tacoma bull bars will fit like this one.

This addition is only one item of many I’m doing right now including a 2 inch lift. I will post pics when all is done.
BajaTim
Scoobytruck Contributer

Post by BajaTim »

I just picked up a used Tacoma bar with NEW hardware for $30 yesterday. Did you have to cut/trim the bottom of the bumper cover? I’m buying/testing a few hardy home wooden deck metal plates from Lowes to see if the are better than included mounting brackets at positioning the bull bar without modifications.

06Suparu
Scoobytruck Master

Post by 06Suparu »

I had to do some trim work on the inner fender plastic right behind the fog lights but thats all.
BajaTim
Scoobytruck Contributer

Post by BajaTim »

Great. Thanks very much!

Izzy
Scoobytruck Lurker

Post by Izzy »

BajaTim wrote: Sat Nov 28, 2020 9:37 am I just picked up a used Tacoma bar with NEW hardware for $30 yesterday. Did you have to cut/trim the bottom of the bumper cover? I’m buying/testing a few hardy home wooden deck metal plates from Lowes to see if the are better than included mounting brackets at positioning the bull bar without modifications.
Sounds like a great score! I did not have to trim any plastics tho the brackets are up against the plastic bumper cover on my install. Good luck and post some pics!
Leon in PA
Scoobytruck Contributer

Post by Leon in PA »

I finally mounted my ECB Nudge Bar
How do you post pictures?
https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/508 ... 059e_b.jpg
Ben Staad
Scoobytruck Master

Post by Ben Staad »

That looks great.

In regards to photos, when you create a post you should see a section/box below the window you can type in. Select attachments and add photo.
Leon in PA wrote: Mon Jan 11, 2021 4:21 pm I finally mounted my ECB Nudge Bar
How do you post pictures?
https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/508 ... 059e_b.jpg
06Suparu
Scoobytruck Master

Post by 06Suparu »

That looks great. Which one is it?