Daytime Running Lights

Technical Discussions - Got a mechanical problem?

Moderator: bajabob

mbaksic
Scoobytruck God

Post by mbaksic »

[smilie=holyshit.gif] everything is so tied together that is getting to be a PITA to do anything!! What happened to the good ole days?? Long gone, thats for sure!! Mike
j
Scoobytruck Lurker

Post by j »

Since posting the other night, I've been obsessed with disabling the DRL's. I had the same results when I unplugged the white plug under the dash (no headlights, didn't try high beams). I read somewhere else, where a seimingly credible poster cut the blue wire on the plug in question. I don't know about you, but that's out of the question. I was thinking about stopping by/calling Cobb Tuning to see if they have any great ideas. I will let you know if I find anything.

BTW, if any of you own a Baja Turbo, and live in/near SLC, Cobb wants to do mods to your Baja. Their website states "free or discounted parts".
j
MY03 Baja Sport
Baja Yellow
Baja_Turbo

Post by Baja_Turbo »

Did you try unplugging the other connector for the DRLs If you unplug the wrong one you will lose low beams.
Baja_Turbo

Post by Baja_Turbo »

mbaksic wrote:[smilie=hello.gif] I finally checked, and my fog light relay is under the hood in the fuse and relay center. Maybe its because its an early build Baja. Mike

04 & 05 foglight relay should be the second from the end in a row of black relays to the lower right of the fuse box under the dash.
Baja_Turbo

Post by Baja_Turbo »

Bill Bourne wrote:I've tried everything that was suggested and still no go.
The connection on the box on the steering column did turn out the DRL's, but then the low beams did not work.
I think if I could find the DRL dropping resistor or the relay I could disable these stupid things.

Are you unplugging just one of the connectors are both? Cause you should leave one plugged in.
j
Scoobytruck Lurker

Post by j »

I've heard, perhaps in this group, that the main DRL relay is behind the glove box. Could anyone confirm this?

Thanks in advance.
j
MY03 Baja Sport
Baja Yellow
Bill Bourne
Scoobytruck Contributer

Post by Bill Bourne »

Found this on another site.

Unplug the white connector from the module on the left side of the steering coulmn. Cut the blue/black wire and plug connector back in.

I'd like to try getting the connector for that wire out of the plastic socket so I don't have to cut the wire. Tried last night but could not figure how to get it out.
2005 Sport, Atlantic Blue Pearl, A/T
Bill Bourne
Scoobytruck Contributer

Post by Bill Bourne »

Success!!!

2005 Baja Sport DRL disable:
Facing the steering wheel.
Electrical module on left side of steering column.
Pull off white connector.
Cut blue/black wire and tape ends.
Re-install white connector.
Start engine and check lights.

No more DRL.

Turbo model has different headlights so don't try this.
2005 Sport, Atlantic Blue Pearl, A/T
andaconda
Scoobytruck Lurker

Post by andaconda »

Bill Bourne wrote:Success!!!

No more DRL.

Thanks Bill!
I used this method on my Wife's '05 Sport, and it does work.
I removed the blue/black wire from the connector plug and shrink wrapped it and taped it back out of the way -- just incase I need it in the future.
Took a few pictures along the way if any are interested.

Wife -- 2005 Baja Sport
Husband -- 2007 Outback Sedan LE
hookupny
Scoobytruck Contributer

Post by hookupny »

andaconda wrote:
Bill Bourne wrote:Success!!!

No more DRL.

Thanks Bill!
I used this method on my Wife's '05 Sport, and it does work.
I removed the blue/black wire from the connector plug and shrink wrapped it and taped it back out of the way -- just incase I need it in the future.
Took a few pictures along the way if any are interested.
Why would you want to disable your wife's DRLs ?? I don't understand any of you for doing this...if you get in an accident and your DRLs are disabled by your stoopid blockheaded tampering, your insurance company has every right to not pay..and why in the world would anyone want to put their loved one's health in question? What if you loan your vehicle to someone and they get in an accident because you just havta be stoopid? You people need to think about others instead of yourself. Those DRLs are there to help with visiblily...let someone hit you and a young child get hurt and then explain to the victim why you disabled your DRLs. Idiots.
Fuzzy
Scoobytruck Contributer

Post by Fuzzy »

Hookupny,
I don't know about you but when it is daytime I can see on my own. If you have trouble seeing during the day I think you should have your eyeballs check, or carry around a flashlight, especially when the sun is nice and bright. If someone is borrowing my Baja and can't see in the daytime I sure in hell am not going to let them borrow my Baja, DUH.

Andaconda,
Yes I would like for you to send me the pics that you have taken. Do you prefer to put them on in the forum or email them to me?

Fuzzy
cliffhanger
Scoobytruck Master

Post by cliffhanger »

hookupny wrote:Why would you want to disable your wife's DRLs ?? I don't understand any of you for doing this...if you get in an accident and your DRLs are disabled by your stoopid blockheaded tampering, your insurance company has every right to not pay..and why in the world would anyone want to put their loved one's health in question? What if you loan your vehicle to someone and they get in an accident because you just havta be stoopid? You people need to think about others instead of yourself. Those DRLs are there to help with visiblily...let someone hit you and a young child get hurt and then explain to the victim why you disabled your DRLs. Idiots.
if every time i let my mom, dad, little brother, sister, grandma, girlfiend, uncle, etc. jump in a car without DRL's i am somehow endangering their health, then i am a selfless son-of-a-bitch. as it turns out, drl's only "safety" feature is that they might alert an unattentive driver to your presence, thus preventing wrecks by careless drivers. that might have worked when they first came out, but now drl's are so common that most all drivers will be complacent towards them as well. if you need a set of headlights to show you where the 1.5 ton vehicle moving towards you is, then you might also need glasses. oh yeah, btw, drl's are no where on a claims adjustment inspection, and they are not listed as standard safety features on any vehicle as far as insurance is concerned. im sure that your buddy's brother's girlfiend's best friend's sister had that happen to them though. idiot.
'05 Baja-T M/T white/silver
370 awhp
hookupny
Scoobytruck Contributer

Post by hookupny »

Keep the excuses coming kiddies... I only hope you never have to invesigate fatal accidents like I have had to do, and hear the most common reason for these accidents... " I never saw the other driver ". To actually make you and your loved ones (not to mention the other drivers around you)'unsafer' is completely unexplainable...and there is NO reason given...only childish excuses. I add lights to my vehicles...find one mature, educated person that can argue that point. End of story.

ANYONE that drives a SILVER vehicle in fog, rain, low light or cloudy day 'blends' into the background and then purposely disables DRLs to make it even harder to see?? Foolish beyond belief.
Hawk296
Scoobytruck Master

Post by Hawk296 »

Man, you really have to lighten up a bit. Disableing DRLs doesn't mean the headlights don't work. It just means I can control them at will now. In fact in a sea of DRLs on the road, the one car without lights almost stands out more. And besides, if its foggy, snowy, rainy or getting dark I am fully able, and always do...get ready... turn on my headlights!

any if lights are safer, then why are aux lights on the roof or a front lightbar illeagal for street use on a lot of area, or why is underbody neon illegal, or those strobe lights the ricers use? It makes their cars stand out and more noticeable...

In all seriouslness, I can see you point, and its valid to a degree. But I think you are alittle too hardcore about it. I don't like the idea of relying on a the car to take responsibility for me. I can turn on my own lights, and I look out for other cars on the road.
X20
Scoobytruck Contributer

HEY HEY HEY

Post by X20 »

hookupny I love you,
but brother, you gots to let others do as they wish
dont let it bother you man. i have my drl active, but I can honestly say that when driving around these dark swampy roads round here drl's on other cars actually add a sort of haze or blinding quality when they are on (daytime), its easier to spot cars that dont have drl's. Its all good.
p.s.- people dont like being attacked and called "stoopid blockheads" for no reason