Rattling noise from rear suspension inside cabin

Technical Discussions - Got a mechanical problem?

Moderator: bajabob

anarchy1024
Scoobytruck Master

Rattling noise from rear suspension inside cabin

Post by anarchy1024 »

Hi all,

My Baja somewhat recently started developing this rattling noise. Initially it sounded like something fell behind the rear seats or something was loose inside the cabin, but after pulling everything apart (and actually finding some large, unrelated metal things), it seems to be coming from the passenger-side (right-side) rear suspension. The center nut appears loose, in that the whole screw/nut can rotate together, but it's difficult to tighten just the nut while holding the screw with an Allen wrench (although we didn't try too hard, and didn't have the right tools). I checked the other side, and it's tight.

The sound is heard when going over bumps, and relates directly to the up/down movement of the right-rear wheel; does not vary with speed or direction. It sounds like it's coming from inside the cabin (i.e. can't hear anything unusual coming from the outside, driving with the windows down, even reflections from a concrete wall). Apart from the rattling, the car doesn't appear to handle any differently. The shocks don't feel worn out, or have any excessive bounciness. The Baja is a 2003 with over 346,000 km, practically all of that in Toronto, Canada, and the suspension hasn't been replaced since I got it about six years ago (don't know if the previous owner did anything; unlikely). It seems like the problem started quiet, then got progressively worse (currently the noise is "concerning", bordering on "worrying", but not "alarming"). We took the wheel off and shook and hit various suspension things with a rubber mallet, and nothing made any unnatural noises.

Is this something that can just be re-tightened using a pass-through socket (like http://www.harborfreight.com/21-pc-sae- ... 62305.html) and Allen wrench? Should the wheel be removed/car jacked up? Weight of the car on or off? Or does something need to be replaced?

Thanks for the help!

Chris
Attachments
rearstrutmount.jpg
rearstrutmount.jpg (181.94 KiB) Viewed 5026 times
anarchy1024
Scoobytruck Master

Re: Rattling noise from rear suspension inside cabin

Post by anarchy1024 »

Okay, so it seems to be more than just a loose...something. If I feel the top of the center nut/bolt while the car is moving, it's vibrating a lot, even in a relatively smooth parking lot. The "good side" is barely moving on the same surface.

I noticed in the exploded parts diagram that there's a rubber piece between the top mount and the top of the shock absorber. Is it possible that broke apart and needs to be replaced? Or is it likely the whole shock absorber?
Guacamole
Scoobytruck God

Post by Guacamole »

Have you checked the sway bars or the tie rods? When I first got my Baja I had a loose sway bar on the rear passenger side & when I hit bumps it sounded like someone threw down a bunch of bolts on pavement.
anarchy1024
Scoobytruck Master

Post by anarchy1024 »

Guacamole wrote:Have you checked the sway bars or the tie rods? When I first got my Baja I had a loose sway bar on the rear passenger side & when I hit bumps it sounded like someone threw down a bunch of bolts on pavement.
Yup, checked what I could, and didn't see anything loose. Pulled the suspension yesterday, and it looks like the shock absorber is shot... oh well, guess an excuse to upgrade, right?

So... what's a decent quality replacement for spirited driving on deserted, twisty mountain roads on a 2003 NA which I never plan on selling?
Toybox06
Scoobytruck Lurker

Post by Toybox06 »

I was having the same issues with mine. Although it’s been years since the post I figured I’d let in some insight in case someone else experiences this issue. My replacements did the same until I used the proper tool to tighten it. An impact wrench will not get it done it takes a tool specifically for the center nut on the strut. This is what happens when left alone.
Attachments
EB8045EE-A790-4616-83C0-33DE5A768950.jpeg
EB8045EE-A790-4616-83C0-33DE5A768950.jpeg (2.04 MiB) Viewed 2348 times
17DAC7F4-385E-4B48-8011-59088AEBE7B2.jpeg
17DAC7F4-385E-4B48-8011-59088AEBE7B2.jpeg (2.14 MiB) Viewed 2348 times
467C60FE-3538-4652-BAA6-92E4DC9E947A.jpeg
467C60FE-3538-4652-BAA6-92E4DC9E947A.jpeg (2.16 MiB) Viewed 2348 times