Fluid changes

Technical Discussions - Got a mechanical problem?

Moderator: bajabob

holland_patrick
Scoobytruck Contributer

Fluid changes

Post by holland_patrick »

I'm runnning Mobil one in the engine But what about all the other placed we have fuilds??? what can we put in there?? has anyone do a diff change ?? I'm looking to go synth..
mbaksic
Scoobytruck God

Post by mbaksic »

I use dino oil in mine, it gets changed about every 2,000 miles. Old habit, I guess. I have changed the auto trans at 20,000. Have not gotten to the diffs yet. I will prolly use standard whatever is suppose to go in there. I haven't given it much thought yet, but wanna get it changed before I tow this year. I know synthetic isn't cheap. I used it in the rear diff of my old Jeep, because you were suppose to if you towed. And my cost on the stuff from the stealership I work at was about $15.00 a qt. I'll have to look into it this week, and see whats available to put in them. Mike
mbaksic
Scoobytruck God

Post by mbaksic »

Front and rear diff fluids changed today at work. It was a slow afternoon. I just put in 80w90 again, as that was all the owners manual said to use. I was going to put in 75w140 synthetic, but the parts manager advised against it. He said we are having probs on Dodges with leaks, if the synthetic wasn't put in at the factory. So I used the dino oil again. I will prob change it every 30,000 anyways, since I plan on towing my atv on a trailer this summer. By the way, the drain plug on the front axle must be a 70 torx. I had a 60, and it got the job done, but fit REALLY loose. So if anyone is going to do this, you will need that special socket. I will get one next week from the tool guys, and see if a 70 fits and let everyone know. The rear diff plug is a 17 mm, just like the engine oil drain plug. Mike
bulwnkl
Scoobytruck Master

Post by bulwnkl »

I know this is a very old thread, but I wondered what the verdict was on the T-70 torx head for the front diff. Is it a T-70?
mbaksic
Scoobytruck God

Post by mbaksic »

Its a T70, I got one from one of the tool guys from work, it had just come out. He said that he had never heard of it. Snap On finally came out with one last fall, wasn't cheap, but worth it to get the job done right. Mike
Even though I work on Dodges, I don't own one.
bulwnkl
Scoobytruck Master

Post by bulwnkl »

Thanks! Fortunately, I was able to get mine loose with a T-60 last evening w/o damage to the plug. I really wanted to get that bright red fluid someone put in there out. It sure looked like ATF to me! Plus, the automatic tranny fluid was nearly used motor oil color and low! I suspect someone had just barely changed those fluids prior to our purchase and mixed up which filler tube went to which unit. I'll have to order a T-70 for future drains.
the slug
Scoobytruck Contributer

Post by the slug »

I did my fluids about a month ago and was starting to worry. I didn't remember seeing a large Torx under the front end. Went back and rechecked the manual, that's on the automatics only. :lol:
Scoobytruck Master

Post by bulwnkl »

the slug wrote:I did my fluids about a month ago and was starting to worry. I didn't remember seeing a large Torx under the front end. Went back and rechecked the manual, that's on the automatics only. :lol:
Ture. :lol:

To the OP, if you're still around: I'm putting Schaeffer fluids in my transmission and differentials. They're great part-synthetics which show SUPER results when analyzing the used fluids, and they seem to provide the most performance for the money spent. I may use their engine oil as well for the same reason, but right now I have a couple oil changes worth of some stuff from Renewable Lube on the shelf. It's a synthetic made from bio bases (ilke soybeans, etc.).