Double DIN head unit w/backup camera

Technical Discussions - Got a mechanical problem?

Moderator: bajabob

jaxed
All-Mighty Scoobytruck Admin

Double DIN head unit w/backup camera

Post by jaxed »

After 10 years, I’ve finally upgraded the head unit in my Baja. I really wanted something that did Bluetooth audio streaming (for music) and as I was looking I found all sorts of interesting head units that did a lot more. I decided to go with an off-brand Chinese double DIN unit with a 6.2” screen that came with a backup camera and GPS. I think it runs some version of Windows CE. The price was right and the Amazon reviews were decent:

Pupug 6.2 Inch Double Din in Dash GPS Car DVD Player USB Sd Bluetooth Tv Pc Radio Navigation Camera

Installing the unit was pretty simple. Installing the backup camera - and running the video and power cable, was a bit more challenging. There is also a GPS antenna which I just left up on the dashboard.

All in all I’m happy so far! Having the backup camera is a bonus.

Shot of camera -

jaxed
All-Mighty Scoobytruck Admin

Re: Double DIN head unit w/backup camera

Post by jaxed »

Here is a picture of the route I took to wire my backup camera through the bed area.

Install of the backup camera required removal of the inside plastic on the lift-gate. Then, there is a metal cover that can be removed with a philips screwdriver. Once that is removed, you can see existing wiring for the lights.

Now there are three bolts that hold on the plastic trim on the outside of the lift gate. You need to loosen these bolts and pry off the plastic trim to snake the wiring for the backup camera. I didn’t remove it entirely, just enough to get my wire through.

Here is how I routed the wires inside the lift gate. (blue zip-ties)

I then loosened the plastic cover on the all along passengers side of the bed so I could pull it back enough to run my backup camera wire through.

When you get to the cabin, you’ll see existing wiring and that is where i also ran my wire through. There is a grommet between the bed and the cabin and I was able to force my backup camera wire through there.

Outside:

On the inside of the cabin, I had to remove the interior plastic on the rear-passenger side that covers where the seat-belt goes, along with the plastic trim that runs under the door. This enabled me to fish for the wire and feed it inside.

Inside:

From there, I ran the wire under the door trim plastic and have it come out under the passenger seat to the console. I then ran the wire under the console - into the console all the way up to the radio.
mikenmel08
Scoobytruck Master

Post by mikenmel08 »

Nice,That was the first upgrade I did to mine....Stopped at Best Buy on the way home from picking up my baja and bought a kenwood double din touch screen...
Zombaja
Scoobytruck Master

Post by Zombaja »

I've been waiting to see how to do this- do not want to go wireless with the backup camera idea.

whenever mine gets out of the shop, that is.
starr-
Scoobytruck Master

Post by starr- »

Thanks for posting this! Started at the head unit on mine and made my way back to the tail gate. Got stuck after removing the metal plate and remembered this post from a while back!
ps: love the look of that head unit, very clean and factory looking.
I like it here.... [smilie=cheeky-grin.gif]
Zombaja
Scoobytruck Master

Post by Zombaja »

is there such thing as a head unit running normal Android instead of the "android for radios" or whatever proprietary built in stuff (like AppRadio) where I cannot simply load apps like I do my phone?

I want a double din touchscreen that I can add to my home wifi so when Im parked I can connect and do updates. I want to be able to then connect to a OBDII plug and run TorquePro from the head unit instead of having to use my phone. As it is now, the phone streams music, runs navigation, and monitors engine health at the same time. the expensive AppRadio setup doesn't use the Google Play store and only runs a limited selection of "approved" apps.

Ideally I should have google maps and everything my phone has, even the same version of Android, without the 3g/4g antenna, hardmounted as a double DIN chassis. I don't have the custom skills to mount an Android tablet in some sorta dash dock either.

seems there are a few on Amazon that sound like they have all the right features. Anyone tried one?
Guacamole
Scoobytruck God

Post by Guacamole »

Thanks for this! I've been wondering if I should get a backup cam for my baja for a while now- is there any major electrical work involved like splicing cables?
anarchy1024
Scoobytruck Master

Post by anarchy1024 »

Zombaja wrote:is there such thing as a head unit running normal Android instead of the "android for radios" or whatever proprietary built in stuff (like AppRadio) where I cannot simply load apps like I do my phone?
There are, and my friend got one for his Acura. The feature set was pretty rich... GPS, BT, 3G/4G, dual MicroSD, CD/DVD, rear-view camera, various audio/video inputs and outputs, accelerometer, etc. It ran a regular version of Android, just as you'd expect on a tablet.

The main problem with his is the performance; he could only afford one with 512MB of RAM at the time, and that's just nowhere near enough for a modern OS + applications. Absolute minimum you'd want is 1GB, ideally 1.5GB+.

Or you can just do what I did and go with a complete tablet:
WP_20131206_007.jpg
WP_20131206_007.jpg (472.22 KiB) Viewed 17037 times
Doesn't offer rear-view camera abilities, but I have a separate dash cam that records front and rear video, and also functions as a rear-view camera.
anarchy1024
Scoobytruck Master

Post by anarchy1024 »

jaxed wrote:Here is a picture of the route I took to wire my backup camera through the bed area.

I should have routed my wire this way... Thanks for posting this! I might re-route the rear view camera wiring similar to yours, because the way I have it now isn't ideal (although it's not causing any problems, either).
Mushu84
Scoobytruck Lurker

Post by Mushu84 »

Hey, I know I'm late to the party, but I'm wanting to install a unit similar to this in the 05 Baja XT I'll be getting in a couple weeks(engine rebuild), and I'm curious about the head unit and climate control 'box'. In my net searches, it looks like the two are contained stacked in a box, and am unsure what install kit, if any, I need to install an Android Pumpkin double DIN unit.

The wiring I'm pretty sure I can figure that out, having done it in my current daily Elantra and my project Del Sol(http://imgur.com/a/yzxBS).

Any help, suggestions or tips would be of great help!

Thanks!
w.rohr
Scoobytruck Contributer

Post by w.rohr »

anarchy1024 wrote: Mon Oct 19, 2015 11:29 am
Zombaja wrote:is there such thing as a head unit running normal Android instead of the "android for radios" or whatever proprietary built in stuff (like AppRadio) where I cannot simply load apps like I do my phone?
There are, and my friend got one for his Acura. The feature set was pretty rich... GPS, BT, 3G/4G, dual MicroSD, CD/DVD, rear-view camera, various audio/video inputs and outputs, accelerometer, etc. It ran a regular version of Android, just as you'd expect on a tablet.

The main problem with his is the performance; he could only afford one with 512MB of RAM at the time, and that's just nowhere near enough for a modern OS + applications. Absolute minimum you'd want is 1GB, ideally 1.5GB+.

Or you can just do what I did and go with a complete tablet:
WP_20131206_007.jpg
Doesn't offer rear-view camera abilities, but I have a separate dash cam that records front and rear video, and also functions as a rear-view camera.
Where did you get the buttons from?
anarchy1024
Scoobytruck Master

Post by anarchy1024 »

I got the buttons from an old Dell LCD monitor, and soldered the wires to the buttons inside the tablet.
Attachments
3.jpg
3.jpg (395.96 KiB) Viewed 13016 times
2.jpg
2.jpg (377.08 KiB) Viewed 13016 times
1.jpg
1.jpg (456.64 KiB) Viewed 13016 times
anarchy1024
Scoobytruck Master

Post by anarchy1024 »

Button board connected to tablet.
Attachments
4.jpg
4.jpg (390.11 KiB) Viewed 13014 times
will031
Scoobytruck Lurker

Post by will031 »

I totally bought the baja that started this post. Bought it from the second owner last month. Ironically, I'm replacing the backup camera. That's how I found this thread.
Attachments
20210117_152728.jpg
20210117_152728.jpg (4.7 MiB) Viewed 8177 times
Guacamole
Scoobytruck God

Post by Guacamole »

will031 wrote: Sat Feb 20, 2021 8:18 pm I totally bought the baja that started this post. Bought it from the second owner last month. Ironically, I'm replacing the backup camera. That's how I found this thread.
The crosstrek rims look fantastic on the black Bajas!