Start up/cold weather knock?

Technical Discussions - Got a mechanical problem?

Moderator: bajabob

Blue Baja
Scoobytruck Lurker

Post by Blue Baja »

So does it make a difference if it only happens with a cold start and after it warms up it goes away?
bulwnkl
Scoobytruck Master

Post by bulwnkl »

The only aspect of what I thought you were describing that doesn't sound like short-skirt slap to me is the part about it starts smooth and quiet and then subsequently starts making a terrible clatter. The part about disappearing after warming up still fits with short-skirt slap.
Blue Baja
Scoobytruck Lurker

Post by Blue Baja »

I obviously need to do a better job of explaining: The very first time I heard the "knocking" I had gone out to warm up the car (first start of the day, summer time) it started out smoothly and then began the "knocking" sound started, the knocking sound quit after the car was warmed up. Ever since then my cold starts begin with the engine 'knocking' and when the car warms up the knocking ceases. This cold start 'knocking' continues to happen (to this day) even when it is 70+degrees outside as long as it is the first start of the day. Once the car is warmed up it doesn't have a start up knock.
bulwnkl
Scoobytruck Master

Post by bulwnkl »

OK, well I guess it's probably just the short-skirt slap sound. If it were mine I might think of trying Auto-RX on it, but it's probably just an inconvenient sound that'll be there until its dying day. So long as performance and mpg are still where they should be, I guess it might not be that big an issue?