Multi-Purpose Light/Brush Bar w/optional Skid Plate & Winch

General talk about the Subaru Baja.

Moderator: mikenmel08

Skemcin
Scoobytruck Master

Re: Multi-Purpose Light/Brush Bar w/optional Skid Plate & Wi

Post by Skemcin »

PenguinSub wrote:Oh man, a Baja company, awesome!

Would you be willing to make skid plates for people who already have a different brush bar/bumper? Or other baja related custom work?
Thanks for your posts. I'd be happy to work on other products like a standalone skid plate. I haven't tracked down a local Baja that I can regularly work on, so that is the biggest (only) challenge at this time. It never fails that each time I see one its going the other way I am or its parked in a driveway. Although, there is one owner I recently met that's several hours away that might (operative word) present an opportunity to do a weekend build. But, as you might have ascertained from this length thread, building one is going to be very expensive so we'd have to see what you and others are looking for and try to get about 5 committed to a buy to make it worth everyone's effort.

Are you referencing a mudrat bumper or something else? Can you post some pics?
PenguinSub
Scoobytruck Contributer

Post by PenguinSub »

Of course I can post a pic!

Yes, it's a 1st Gen Mudrat.

Also, Scorpion used to make 2" lift kits, and since they've stopped, I have not seen a single 2" lift kit since. That would be something I am even more interested in.
Skemcin
Scoobytruck Master

Post by Skemcin »

PenguinSub wrote:Of course I can post a pic!

Yes, it's a 1st Gen Mudrat.

Also, Scorpion used to make 2" lift kits, and since they've stopped, I have not seen a single 2" lift kit since. That would be something I am even more interested in.
Nice!
:D

Well, if I source a local Baja I can only fabricate a skid plate off that or I could make some brackets for our skid plate based on the absense of our bar - but I'm not sure how that is gonna blend with the mudrat bumper. Can you get a pic of it on a lift or on ramps - from the ground looking up with the whole truck/bumper in frame down to the center hack plate?
PenguinSub
Scoobytruck Contributer

Post by PenguinSub »

Skemcin wrote:Nice!

Well, if I source a local Baja I can only fabricate a skid plate off that or I could make some brackets for our skid plate based on the absense of our bar - but I'm not sure how that is gonna blend with the mudrat bumper. Can you get a pic of it on a lift or on ramps - from the ground looking up with the whole truck/bumper in frame down to the center hack plate?

I'll see what I can do for you. A buddy has a jack stand, maybe he'll let me use his. I'll get back to you in a day or two (probably two, depending on how fussy the 2mo old in my house gets)
Skemcin
Scoobytruck Master

Post by Skemcin »

PenguinSub wrote:
Skemcin wrote:Nice!

I'll see what I can do for you. A buddy has a jack stand, maybe he'll let me use his. I'll get back to you in a day or two (probably two, depending on how fussy the 2mo old in my house gets)
Cool - and congratulations on the new born!
:-)

Yeah, I just need to see how the mudrat mates up to the lower radiator support. this sort of picture would be great:

as it will show me how much of the radiator the mudrat covers and if we share any mounting points. If it doesn't then I would suggest us building our lower bar but cutting off everything forward of the radiator support. Then our skid plate would install and you'd be all set.
PenguinSub
Scoobytruck Contributer

Post by PenguinSub »

Skemcin wrote:Cool - and congratulations on the new born!

Yeah, I just need to see how the mudrat mates up to the lower radiator support. this sort of picture would be great:

as it will show me how much of the radiator the mudrat covers and if we share any mounting points. If it doesn't then I would suggest us building our lower bar but cutting off everything forward of the radiator support. Then our skid plate would install and you'd be all set.

Okay, I think I understand what you need. Just to let you know, the bumper is directly bolted to where the old bumper mounts to, and that is it. I have a build thread here:

http://www.newenglandsubarus.com/forums ... hp?t=17978

But in case the link doesn't work for you, here's a pic of the bumper off the Baja:

You can see the two platforms that get bolted on.
Skemcin
Scoobytruck Master

Post by Skemcin »

PenguinSub wrote:Okay, I think I understand what you need. Just to let you know, the bumper is directly bolted to where the old bumper mounts to, and that is it. I have a build thread here:

http://www.newenglandsubarus.com/forums ... hp?t=17978

But in case the link doesn't work for you, here's a pic of the bumper off the Baja:

You can see the two platforms that get bolted on.
Ok got it. So, yeah we could easily do something. Let me go over a few things and figure out some options.

Can you take some measurements for me to help this along?
  • A straight line distance from the mudrat mounting plate to the front/bottom/leading edge of the lower radiator support
  • A right angle distance from the mudrat mounting plate down to an imaginary point that is level with the front/bottom/leading edge of the lower radiator support
  • A right angle distance from the front/bottom/leading edge of the lower radiator support to the previously mentioned imaginary point.
This, essentially, is the measurement of a right angle triangle if you look at it from the side. This will allow me determine the length and angle our leading edge skid plate needs to be bent at to mate up with the mudrat.

Thanks
PenguinSub
Scoobytruck Contributer

Post by PenguinSub »

Skemcin wrote:Ok got it. So, yeah we could easily do something. Let me go over a few things and figure out some options.

Can you take some measurements for me to help this along?
  • A straight line distance from the mudrat mounting plate to the front/bottom/leading edge of the lower radiator support
  • A right angle distance from the mudrat mounting plate down to an imaginary point that is level with the front/bottom/leading edge of the lower radiator support
  • A right angle distance from the front/bottom/leading edge of the lower radiator support to the previously mentioned imaginary point.
This, essentially, is the measurement of a right angle triangle if you look at it from the side. This will allow me determine the length and angle our leading edge skid plate needs to be bent at to mate up with the mudrat.

Thanks
I get what you're saying, sure. I can do that for you. I'll get back to you between today and this weekend (sorry for the vague timeframe).
Skemcin
Scoobytruck Master

Post by Skemcin »

PenguinSub wrote:I get what you're saying, sure. I can do that for you. I'll get back to you between today and this weekend (sorry for the vague timeframe).
No rush, our production run isn't for another week or so. Anything before next week will allow me to get a solid estimate. I already reviewed this with our fabricator and we can't see an issue with any of this given the measurements you provide.

If you like, you can contact me directly:
getdirty [ a t ] gorillaoffroadcompany.com
Skemcin
Scoobytruck Master

Post by Skemcin »

FYI - A production run is scheduled for January - details here:
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=2263
Skemcin
Scoobytruck Master

Post by Skemcin »

Two more days left to get your deposits in for our end of May production run!!!

I'm excited to report that we've got 3 Bajas on this build - lets make it an even 5!
corgimas
Scoobytruck Contributer

Post by corgimas »

Did all the bars go out???? any left??? seriously tempted....have to "sneak" it into the driveway though....
Kites Kayaks & Corgis
Skemcin
Scoobytruck Master

Post by Skemcin »

corgimas wrote:Did all the bars go out???? any left??? seriously tempted....have to "sneak" it into the driveway though....
Thanks for the post.

We have sold all the bars from that batch.

We will be doing another production run before the end of the year - looking at middle of November - maybe opening for deposits by mid-October.
Skemcin
Scoobytruck Master

Post by Skemcin »

Production/Build Dates:

11/01 - Deposits Accepted ($200)
11/15 - Deposits Due
11/29 - Final Payments Due
12/16 - Shipping Date

Pricing Information:

$200 - Deposit *
$425 - Gorilla Offroad Bar
FREE - Gorilla Black powder coat finish
FREE - Between 4 to 8 light tabs (model dependent)
$175 - Skid Plate (optional)
$125 - Winch Mount (optional - omits two inner bottom light tabs)
$125 - Mesh Grill Insert (optional - deletes all bottom tabs, not compatible with winch mount)
$145 to $225 - Shipping estimates depending on location and country

* Your deposit IS put toward your order total!

Use the following URLs to submit your deposit. It is important that you click on the proper link or you run the risk of getting the correct bar made. After you submit your deposit, you will be redirected to a online options form where you will specify your vehicle information and detail the options you wish to purchase. Upon submitting that information, you will receive a final payment request within 3 to 4 business days (maybe sooner).

Baja:
http://www.gorillaoffroadcompany.com/_b ... r-baja.cfm

Forester:
http://www.gorillaoffroadcompany.com/_b ... rester.cfm

Impreza:
http://www.gorillaoffroadcompany.com/_b ... mpreza.cfm

Outback/Legacy
http://www.gorillaoffroadcompany.com/_b ... utback.cfm

If you have any questions, please let me know.
Monkey_Boy
Scoobytruck Contributer

Post by Monkey_Boy »

I might be interested in your next batch. I saw the "mesh" option but I don't see any pictures of that. Sounds like choosing mesh removes the option for a winch?
"It drives like a truck!" ~ B. Banzai.