Multi-Purpose Light/Brush Bar w/optional Skid Plate & Winch

General talk about the Subaru Baja.

Moderator: mikenmel08

RoverLander
Scoobytruck Contributer

Re: Multi-Purpose Light/Brush Bar w/optional Skid Plate & Wi

Post by RoverLander »

My bar came today [smilie=666.gif] Like others I was a little concerned at how damaged the box was. Happly the bar was very well protected and didn't have a scratch on it. Glad I checked here before freaking out at FedEx for losing the hardware. :wink:

Anxiously waiting for hardware and mounting instructions...

RoverLander
Skemcin
Scoobytruck Master

Post by Skemcin »

## UPDATE ##

All bags of hardware were shipped yesterday afternoon - Each bag contains 3 - 1" spacers, 3 - washers, and 3 - M8 x 1.25 x 55mm bolts. Most people can expect to see it this coming Monday or Tuesday.

Please let me know if there are any questions or concerns.

And, once again, thank you for your patience as we correct this issue.

I am very interested in seeing pictures of your final install - here is a thread to show off your pictures!!
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=2079&p=11764#p11764
Skemcin
Scoobytruck Master

Post by Skemcin »

If you didn't get your hardware today, you should get it tomorrow.

Please PM or post if you run into any issues.

baja_gernaut posted some pics already - WOW - viewtopic.php?f=2&t=2079&p=11764#p11764
anarchy1024
Scoobytruck Master

Post by anarchy1024 »

I received mine yesterday :D (and like many other people, the box was in a pretty bad shape, but the bar itself was fine).

For the installation, I have to remove the two U-shaped brackets that hold the sway bar on, slip the light bar between the frame and the rubber sway bar padding thingys (official terminology FTW), and bolt the U-shaped brackets back on, on top of the light bar... right?

Then the two original bolts are reused for the rear-most two holes, and the new bolts are used for the front-most three holes, replacing the originals that used to hold the plastic cover on?

Thanks! Can't wait to get this installed...after work...sigh...

Skemcin wrote:## UPDATE ##

All bags of hardware were shipped yesterday afternoon - Each bag contains 3 - 1" spacers, 3 - washers, and 3 - M8 x 1.25 x 55mm bolts. Most people can expect to see it this coming Monday or Tuesday.

Please let me know if there are any questions or concerns.

And, once again, thank you for your patience as we correct this issue.

I am very interested in seeing pictures of your final install - here is a thread to show off your pictures!!
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=2079&p=11764#p11764
Skemcin
Scoobytruck Master

Post by Skemcin »

anarchy1024 wrote:I received mine yesterday :D (and like many other people, the box was in a pretty bad shape, but the bar itself was fine).

For the installation, I have to remove the two U-shaped brackets that hold the sway bar on, slip the light bar between the frame and the rubber sway bar padding thingys (official terminology FTW), and bolt the U-shaped brackets back on, on top of the light bar... right?

Then the two original bolts are reused for the rear-most two holes, and the new bolts are used for the front-most three holes, replacing the originals that used to hold the plastic cover on?

Thanks! Can't wait to get this installed...after work...sigh...
Correct!

Can't wait to see pics...
baja_gernaut
Scoobytruck Contributer

Post by baja_gernaut »

Recieved the bolts yesterday. :D
Skemcin
Scoobytruck Master

Post by Skemcin »

baja_gernaut wrote:Recieved the bolts yesterday. :D
Cool. I'm really impressed with your truck. I think, as you mentioned elsewhere, you should go with HELLA Black Magics. They come with those black HELLA covers which will match the truck much better than the white ones (like on mine). Then, when the covers are off, the lights themselves will just go along perfectly with your truck's theme (if it should even be called that). Let me know when ever you're ready for a winch - I can still get them pretty cheap.
8)

Oh, and for everyone else, if for any reason you don't have bolts already, they should surely be there today. Please let me know if there are any issues.
baja_gernaut
Scoobytruck Contributer

Post by baja_gernaut »

I installed the spacers and bolts in less than 10 minutes. Now that the bar installed correctly, this thing is not giving at all. I stood on it and it didn't even shift or give literally jumping on it, and I weigh 230 pounds. My next thing that I will install are the hella's black magic like you suggested. I am going to soak in all awesomeness for a couple of weeks and then I'll order the lights. Once I have some spare change, I'll get the winch. I saw a advertisement in Harbor Freight tools for winches. I never bothered looking into it because their crap comes straight from china but it looked similar to the winches that would fit on our bar. I will double check because the winch was about 80 bucks or so.
bajamudd
Scoobytruck Master

Post by bajamudd »

I got my bolts and spacers Tuesday, and shortly after I installed my bar. I had some fitment problems at first but with a little bit of muscle we got it into place and then it went on really easy. It is extremely strong, I can stand and jump on it and there is no movement in the bar. I absolutely love it! [smilie=666.gif]
bajamudd
Scoobytruck Master

Post by bajamudd »

Skemcin wrote:
baja_gernaut wrote:Recieved the bolts yesterday. :D
Cool. I'm really impressed with your truck. I think, as you mentioned elsewhere, you should go with HELLA Black Magics. They come with those black HELLA covers which will match the truck much better than the white ones (like on mine). Then, when the covers are off, the lights themselves will just go along perfectly with your truck's theme (if it should even be called that). Let me know when ever you're ready for a winch - I can still get them pretty cheap.
8)

Oh, and for everyone else, if for any reason you don't have bolts already, they should surely be there today. Please let me know if there are any issues.
What can you get the winches for? I've found some online for 210.00
anarchy1024
Scoobytruck Master

Post by anarchy1024 »

Does anyone else's engine sound louder after mounting the bar with skid plate? It doesn't seem to behave any differently, but the sound is noticeable. And there might be a bit more vibration, but that could just be the normal stuff that was always there....
Skemcin
Scoobytruck Master

Post by Skemcin »

@baja_gernaut, @bajamudd
I have access to any winch on superwinch.com. I am able to get them a decent price, this would be the one needed for your trucks
Terra 45
This is what the winch mount is designed for. I cannot vouch for any other brand fitting.

@anarchy1024
I noticed a slight increase in noise with my bar added - but I also ran without my plastic splash guard for a while and added my top mounted cold air intake which is going to be louder too - and we're talking about my Impreza (not a Baja). So I don't know for certain if you would be experiencing that or maybe just being that much more attentive since you know something fairly significant has changed. I'm glad tohear the install went smoothly and everything else is good. Maybe run it without the skid plate for a day or two and let us know if you notice a difference - would be interesting to know.
:)
baja_gernaut
Scoobytruck Contributer

Post by baja_gernaut »

Now that guys mentioned about noise, I can hear the engine working but probably it's the echoing that is bouncing off the metal cover. I am not worried about because I know the engine is good. But thanx for mentioning and now I am more attentive the engine but it is not significant to bother me.
Skemcin
Scoobytruck Master

Post by Skemcin »

baja_gernaut wrote:Now that guys mentioned about noise, I can hear the engine working but probably it's the echoing that is bouncing off the metal cover. I am not worried about because I know the engine is good. But thanx for mentioning and now I am more attentive the engine but it is not significant to bother me.
That's exactly what I was suspecting - but didn't want to introduce the bias, wanted to see if the conclusion could be drawn from removing the skid plate. But yeah, that's what I would suspect. The plate not only covers much more area than the plastic, but it will not absorb sound like the plastic would.

Oh, and don't over tighten your skid plate bolts - ask me how I know (actually, please don't ask).
:(
Skemcin
Scoobytruck Master

Post by Skemcin »

Amazon has an amazing deal on the winch that replaces the UTV4000.

The Terra 45 - which will bolt right in - is on sale for $209!

That's $160 off retail and they have 12 left - great deal and one I cannot come close to beating. If you can scrape teh change, this is a good time to buy. I understand it was at $260 last week.

Here's the link.
http://www.amazon.com/Superwinch-114522 ... 835&sr=8-1