Multi-Purpose Light/Brush Bar w/optional Skid Plate & Winch

General talk about the Subaru Baja.

Moderator: mikenmel08

Skemcin
Scoobytruck Master

Re: Multi-Purpose Light/Brush Bar w/optional Skid Plate & Wi

Post by Skemcin »

das_fool wrote:count me in! woohoo!

2004 turbo (yeah you didn't ask for that...but man, it's fun!)
Awesome - thanks!!

____

Alright folks - we are getting REALLY close. One more makes it doable but two more would allow me to cover variances in the estimated prices listed. If we pushed for three or even four more there is a greater chance to see a drop in the price simply from the volume discount I"ll get on the material I need to order.

Please, be sure you look over the pricing - particularly shipping. Take your time to read over everything. You are not getting Rally Bling - this is the real deal and you get 10 times what you pay for.

Thanks guys.
jrigby
Scoobytruck Lurker

Post by jrigby »

Looks like a nice set up, I want one. But the way I'd want it would be $725 and I just can't spend that much. :(
Skemcin
Scoobytruck Master

Post by Skemcin »

jrigby wrote:Looks like a nice set up, I want one. But the way I'd want it would be $725 and I just can't spend that much. :(
I completely understand. Thanks for the interest/appreciation.

------

Its well worth it though - you get a ot of function from this bar. Aside from the 8 mounting points to choose from, you get skid plate tabs, radiator support, oil pan support, frame reinforcement/stiffening, and powder coating all standard. The tow hook and winch mount are options that just put this over the top. I know I'm a little bias here, but pictures just don't do it justice - this thing is a beast.
:)
KensAudio
Scoobytruck Contributer

Post by KensAudio »

I'm very interested.
I Have an '03 classic. Non turbo, manual transmission (in case it makes a difference).
I'd be interested in the bar, painted. Nice & simple. I recently got a skid plate. Planning to install that soon.
I can't afford it right now, but I wanted to be on your list. My questions:
Doesn't the winch hide the license plate?
How feasible is it to put a 2" receiver hitch on it? I found a company that makes small, simple snow plows that attach to a 2" hitch.

And thanks to whomever got the email sent out about this. I hadn't been on here for a while.

- K
Baja '03 Blk, non-turbo, M/T, OzzBros, Bed Extender, JVC, ScanGaugeII, Garmin
"Well, ya see, son, when a dune buggy, a jeep and a sedan really love each other..."
jaxed
All-Mighty Scoobytruck Admin

Post by jaxed »

I'm in.
Ti Pit
Scoobytruck Contributer

Post by Ti Pit »

Oh wow, I've been following this thread since earlier this week and I love it I just don't have that much money to throw around at the moment. That's really bad timing.

I assume if you don't get the skid plate you would have to remove the OEM plastic cover from under the car in order to fit the bar? Does it mean you'd be left with an unprotected bottom end or does it fit with the plastic under body parts?
WookyMonster
Scoobytruck Lurker

Post by WookyMonster »

Would you install? Im in STL and would be interested in driving up for a bar and skidplate if you guys could install. Also, the wiring for the lights, do we just hide it on the back of the bar, or can we run it through the bar?
Skemcin
Scoobytruck Master

Post by Skemcin »

KensAudio wrote:I'm very interested.
I Have an '03 classic. Non turbo, manual transmission (in case it makes a difference).
I'd be interested in the bar, painted. Nice & simple. I recently got a skid plate. Planning to install that soon.
I can't afford it right now, but I wanted to be on your list. My questions:
Doesn't the winch hide the license plate?
How feasible is it to put a 2" receiver hitch on it? I found a company that makes small, simple snow plows that attach to a 2" hitch.
And thanks to whomever got the email sent out about this. I hadn't been on here for a while.
- K
I've got you on the interested list. To my knowledge, transmission type will not matter. We leave enough room for 3" exhaust should that be an issue. We are using an 04 Turbo for fitment - at this time we are not 100% if there are any differences between the turbo and non-turbo - on the Impreza, the n/a headers came down in front of the center jack plate while the turbo comes down behind. So fitting a non-turbo was ideal in that respect. Since you have a non-turbo you could be a HUGE help to all of us if you could snap a picture of the headers and where they come down so we can compare that to the turbo.

I asked for my front loop to be lower - out standard bar loops above the license plate. On the Impreza, the winch does interfere with the license plate but we will not know if that will be the case with the Baja until we have the truck in the shop.

We considered the receiver hitch idea - but these bumpers are not designed to be pulled and receiver hitches are designed for linear pulling. Most winching is done at angles. We had a few long conversation about how convenient it would be to have a front and rear receiver hitch that the mount could attach to - we acknowledged that but we consulted with the folks and Superwinch and a permanent mount is really the strongest and most reliable approach.
jaxed wrote:I'm in.
Sweet - what year?
Ti Pit wrote:Oh wow, I've been following this thread since earlier this week and I love it I just don't have that much money to throw around at the moment. That's really bad timing.

I assume if you don't get the skid plate you would have to remove the OEM plastic cover from under the car in order to fit the bar? Does it mean you'd be left with an unprotected bottom end or does it fit with the plastic under body parts?
I think someone asked about the plastic engine cover in a another post (sorry I had not replied to that yet) but honestly do not know. I will assume it will not be able to be re-used. You could always get the skid plate later or fabricate one locally (yourself or have someone else do it) as the bar will come with the tabs. The core of the under carriage will have increased protection but yes, without the plastic cover or skid plate the bay is exposed - so a stick could get up there or a stump for instance.

I've add you to the interest list.
WookyMonster wrote:Would you install? Im in STL and would be interested in driving up for a bar and skidplate if you guys could install. Also, the wiring for the lights, do we just hide it on the back of the bar, or can we run it through the bar?
Yes - install is $60. We can do the wiring too but we'd have to talk about how many lights and how you want them wired before we quote that. Wiring would be hidden, no openings into the bar/tubing.

-----

I think I go all the points.

I got a date with the wife - I will be on later. For all those willing to put the deposit down - lets wait until I summarize where we are and we can take an extra day or two to absolutely solidify everything. Otherwise I'd say we are on!!!

For the others, once we make this batch, we'll have a jig and will come back later in the year for another run.

Be back in 3 hrs.
philliefan2212
Scoobytruck Lurker

Post by philliefan2212 »

I am totally Intersted in this. Wish I had it during Hurricane Irene (lost my tow hook cover and more damage because of tree branches...) . Once this gets online for production I can go ahead with the purchase. Anyone who is interested in sharing shipping near in Lehigh Valley PA or Central Jersey?

2005 Baja Sport
RoverLander
Scoobytruck Contributer

Post by RoverLander »

Count me in full kit winch and all! [smilie=666.gif]

2005 Baja Turbo 5 speed manual.
jaxed
All-Mighty Scoobytruck Admin

Post by jaxed »

Skemcin wrote:
jaxed wrote:I'm in.
Sweet - what year?
2005 non-turbo
steven765
Scoobytruck Contributer

Post by steven765 »

ugh do want!! However, I just laid out 4k for my CCR engine, so I'm saving my pennies at the moment. Will this be it or will there be a later run? It seems a few are in the $$ crunch situation. Stupid head gaskets how has there not been a class action suit against subaru by now.
spazomatic
Scoobytruck Contributer

Post by spazomatic »

as much as I'd love to have one, I must flake out for now. my wife/accountant would take my nads out of her purse and step on 'em if I spent that much money!
It really does look like a high quality piece. I'm just gonna hafta wait till one of these guys here are hard up for cash and need to sell theirs cheap! :roll:
Good luck with your product(s), I hope you do a good business and retire rich!
Dan
Skemcin
Scoobytruck Master

Post by Skemcin »

philliefan2212 wrote:I am totally Intersted in this. Wish I had it during Hurricane Irene (lost my tow hook cover and more damage because of tree branches...) . Once this gets online for production I can go ahead with the purchase. Anyone who is interested in sharing shipping near in Lehigh Valley PA or Central Jersey?
2005 Baja Sport
Got ya!
RoverLander wrote:Count me in full kit winch and all! [smilie=666.gif]
2005 Baja Turbo 5 speed manual.
Very nice. We'll take care of all the fabrication but it would be better to buy the winch direct from Superwinch - the winch pictured is a $611 winch that is on sale for $199.
http://www.superwinch.com/products/prod ... .0.0?pp=12

You're on the list! Thanks for the interest.
jaxed wrote:2005 non-turbo
Noted
steven765 wrote:ugh do want!! However, I just laid out 4k for my CCR engine, so I'm saving my pennies at the moment. Will this be it or will there be a later run? It seems a few are in the $$ crunch situation. Stupid head gaskets how has there not been a class action suit against subaru by now.
Given the interest this has drawn, I'd be happy to come back and hook the rest of you guys up. We'll figure out when after we get through this first batch.

And, for what it's worth, I just did the head gaskets on my 02 Outback Sport so I can feel your pain. I've got rotors, a whining compressor, and some crud building up near the drive shaft I gotta track down.
spazomatic wrote:as much as I'd love to have one, I must flake out for now. my wife/accountant would take my nads out of her purse and step on 'em if I spent that much money!
It really does look like a high quality piece. I'm just gonna hafta wait till one of these guys here are hard up for cash and need to sell theirs cheap! :roll:
Good luck with your product(s), I hope you do a good business and retire rich!
Dan
Thanks Dan - I know that feeling - my nads have been stepped on and dragged bare against a concrete sidewalk on a 100* day!
:)
Thanks for the support.
Skemcin
Scoobytruck Master

Post by Skemcin »

Looks like we got a couple more on board - very nice. The more the merrier (and likely cheaper).

So, this is how we'll proceed...

In the original post, I will keep the official list of interested members and those who are committed to this batch - as I've done a few posts ago. I have already confirmed with my partner that we good to go with this project. We have a Baja (turbo) lined up to be in out shop next weekend for fitment. After that process is complete we will have a very good idea where we are as far as time for fabrication and costs. Based on what we know about Subarus and what we've done on the Impreza, I am pretty confident there will not be any deal changing surprises. The under carriage could be as welcoming as the 02-07 Impreza or it could be all but there like the 08+ Impreza - either way we've been able to make things with work.

Timeline - subject to change - completely coming from the top of my head right now, please understand this is simply meant to put some initial expectation on how the process works because we are starting from scratch.
Feb. 9 - Group Buy Officially ON!
Feb. 9 - Deposit link available and extended indefinitely
Feb. 11 - Fitment of Baja - anyone in Chicago area interested in stopping by, please send PM
Feb. 16 - All deposits due so production can be scheduled

From here things can vary. Since we haven't seen what the truck offers we are not able to determine how long production will take. We might be able to build three a day or four or only two - it all depends. But whatever the case final payment will be due as production winds down. Shipping information will gathered and learned as well. I'll post more details as they become available. Most importantly, for now, is the Feb. 16 deposit deadline. That's the lock.

Please, I can't emphasize enough, review everything that's been posted and ask ANY questions.

If want or are thinking about the winch, suck it up and do it. I don't know when you will find a $611 winch for $199 again.
re: http://www.superwinch.com/products/prod ... .0.0?pp=12

As it has been stated earlier and proved, the winch is under rated so it is a good match for your truck.

I will try to see if I can get a promo code for HELLA lights - I'll post it if I do.

I'll work on the original post tomorrow and answer more questions.

I'm pretty excited about this project but happier to see you guys supporting it.

Talk to you soon.

Regards,
Derek