Idle Air Control System

Technical Discussions - Got a mechanical problem?

Moderator: bajabob

lpcard
Scoobytruck Lurker

Idle Air Control System

Post by lpcard »

So I'm driving home from work this morning and I get a "check engine" light as I pull onto the highway. Still seems to be running well, so off I go. When I pull back off onto the side roads the idle is a bit screwy, so I'm thinking I've got an issue with the IACV.
Pull into the parts store, do a diagnostic, sure enough the code pops for Idle Air Control System. There's only one part listed, the Idle Air Control Valve.
Ho
Lee
CRAP! :shock:
What are these things made of? Gold plated diamonds??? $560 for a new one? I don't think so!
I pulled it off and cleaned it with carb cleaner, cleaned the intake hole where it lives with carb cleaner, put it back on and start it up to clear the carb cleaner out of the intake and the check engine light is gone.
Is this a common thing?
Buck Rogers
Scoobytruck Contributer

Re: Idle Air Control System

Post by Buck Rogers »

What year, model, do you have? I haven't had any issues with mine (N/A 05, 90K on the clock) I don't believe it is a common issue. If a cleaning fixed it, that a good thing :D
lpcard
Scoobytruck Lurker

Re: Idle Air Control System

Post by lpcard »

I have a 2003. I just couldn't believe they would charge that much for an IACV and not be ashamed of themselves. The one for my Pontiac (that looks like it differs only in the connector) is only $45.00.