Tutorial - Dismantling The Interior

General talk about the Subaru Baja.

Moderator: mikenmel08

ZUBAJA
Scoobytruck Master

Re: Tutorial - Dismantling The Interior

Post by ZUBAJA »

A ratchet, extension, and a 12MM 6 point socket are about all I have ever used. Dennis
gremlinkurst
Scoobytruck Lurker

Post by gremlinkurst »

Well, then, Dennis, it looks like the tools I've already ordered shall do the job. I should have taken something like this into consideration before buying my latest low-torque drill. You see, I've been without a vehicle for over fifteen years, being on a fixed income and spending the disposable portion of it on computers and such.

A recent small financial gift allowed me to purchase a 2006 Subaru Baja Sport, and I wasn't thinking about dealing with fixtures installed with impact wrenches when I bought my otherwise adaptable drill. So, I ordered a small metric ratcheting combo wrench set, belatedly realizing that Japanese cars don't have parts measured in Imperial units. The 12mm wrench should fill the bill nicely. In the event that its handle is too short to apply the proper amount of torque to "break" the bolts' locks, I have my eye on a long-handled 12mm combo wrench, but I won't buy it unless the short wrench threatens to strip the bolt heads.

I must say, I like my AWD Baja. Unlike most cars and trucks, the Baja's value appreciates with age rather than depreciates. I hadn't realized the rarity of the vehicle when I got it for $3,000 under Kelly Blue Book. Serendipitous.
mike-tracy
Scoobytruck Master

Post by mike-tracy »

Maybe I missed it, but did you spray the bolts in question with PB Blaster, WD-40 or similar? I'd let em soak a day or two if they are too tight.

I also coat the threads of the bolts with some kind of antiseize. Copper is superior, but the aluminum stuff gets the job done too. I got mine at AutoZone. They won't be a problem to remove the next time, with antiseize.
1992 Legacy SS, 5mt and heavily modified
2000 Impreza RSTi Coupe
2003 Baja, H6 and Dual Range 5mt swap