A.R.E. Caps - Look here for all info!

Technical Discussions - Got a mechanical problem?

Moderator: bajabob

davecoon13
Scoobytruck Master

Re: ARE Cap Installation?

Post by davecoon13 »

First time installation that time sounds about right cause they have to do special wiring for the third brake light. If you have keyless entry it will require even more wring. Also, they have to put in the weatherstripping between the cap and the existing cab. I think it took them 2 hours to install mine without keyless entry. My dealer didn't charge extra for installation.

If you want to risk a ticket for an inoperative brake light, you could just put the cap on and secure the rear 2bolts and drive home. The front 2 bolts won't align into the holes unless you ratchet a 2x4 (see below).

It sounds like these guys don't know what they are talking about, I would consider another shop. The cap is notched to fit around the sports bars (no removal required) and it definitely IS waterproof. Just look at the website for ARE and it even says that it is designed to fit around the sports bars. Even though I haven't been able to get it all the way sealed tight since the 2 times I removed it and resinstalled it myself, it has barely leaked at all between the cab and the front of the cap. When it was installed by the dealer, it survived Hurricane Hannah without any moisture inside the cap. Even since I reinstalled it without the 2x4 method described below, it has barely leaked at all, just the tiniest bit, and if I were to use the 2x4 method, i am sure it would not leak whatsoever.

I have posted another question in this forum about reinstalling it. When they first installed it, they cut a 2x4 and stretched it across the lip inside the cap in the front between the 2 sides of the cap and used ratchet tiedowns on the 2x4 hooked to the D front rings in the bed to get it to seat the cap really tight (water tight). Then they removed the 2x4. I have since removed and reinstalled the cap twice, but I never have been able to get it to seat as tight as the dealer did. It sounds like your dealer has no clue. My dealer said he had installed about 4 other Baja caps before. I went to a dealer about 20 miles from my home. Another dealer about the same distance in the other direction had no clue about Baja caps, but was about $50 cheaper. I figured the extra $50 would be worth the experience of someone familiar with the cap.
Dave Coon
www.nflcrimes.com
SilverStone Metallic
2003 Baja Sport 4EAT
"Capped" with A.R.E. Topper
davecoon13
Scoobytruck Master

Re: ARE caps still around?

Post by davecoon13 »

This past weekend I helped a neighbor haul away a "Jennifer Convertible" sleeper sofa, which required removing the cap. Once again I removed the cap no problem. And once again, when I reinstalled it, the front is not seated as tight as the original install cause I didn't do the 2x4 method described above. Even without the 2x4 method, it gets very very little water inside, just the slightest bit, only one streak I could even see, all my tools and stuff remained dry during a torrential downpour of rain. I just don't want the hassle of dealing with the 2x4 method. I have reinstalled the cap twice without it and it seems to be OK, though I have posted a question on the Technical forum and NASIOC Baja forums about it to see what others have to say.

With the removable cap, the Baja is almost a semi-convertible Outback wagon, it only makes the Baja more versatile!
Dave Coon
www.nflcrimes.com
SilverStone Metallic
2003 Baja Sport 4EAT
GR82B4E
Scoobytruck Lurker

Post by GR82B4E »

Thanks for all the good info! My cap finally arrived and is fully installed. It's only day 1, but so far I'm very pleased. Maine is expecting some more snow within the next few days, so I'm sure I'll get a taste of how watertight it actually is.
While going over the installation, it appears that new holes were drilled about a quarter of an inch below the existing ones (toward the front only). It's not noticable except for the spiral remnants of metal and plastic. I was told this would ensure a "snug fit." I only hope it doesn't ensure future corrosion or a voided warranty aswell. :shock:
I could not be more pleased with the design of the cap and the color matching. ARE did a great job with that!
I will post some pics as soon as I get the chance. Again, thanks for all the great info!
'03 Baja (auto)
Thule M.O.A.B roof rack
Carr Light Wing
Hella 500FF 50watt Driving Lights
General Grabber AT2s
A.R.E Truck Cap
GR82B4E
Scoobytruck Lurker

Post by GR82B4E »

I am also thinking of getting the 18" extension for the Thule MOAB roof rack and would like some ideas on how to mount it properly. If it can be solidly mounted to simply hang over the cap, that would be best. I'm reluctant to start drilling holes or making any permanent marks on the cap. Any input is greatly appreciated.
'03 Baja (auto)
Thule M.O.A.B roof rack
Carr Light Wing
Hella 500FF 50watt Driving Lights
General Grabber AT2s
A.R.E Truck Cap
davecoon13
Scoobytruck Master

Post by davecoon13 »

The ARE offers roof racks as a dealer installable option. I think they use THULE as their supplier, not sure if it would be the MOAB though...ask the ARE dealer.
Dave Coon
www.nflcrimes.com
SilverStone Metallic
2003 Baja Sport 4EAT
wetdawg
Scoobytruck Lurker

Re: ARE Cap Removal/Reinstallation Question

Post by wetdawg »

When I had my cap installed they used quite a bit of sealant. Even w/ that the installer said that If I took it through car washes it was likely to leak. I attribute this to the slope of the cap, pushing water toward the front. When the folks installed mine, one of the installers crawled on top and laid on the cap toward the front. I love my cap but it certainly does leak.

Chirs
05 Baja
davecoon13
Scoobytruck Master

Re: ARE Cap Removal/Reinstallation Question

Post by davecoon13 »

Mine has only very minimal leakage, but they sure used a ton of weather stripping. Also, I've found that when I temporarily remove the cap, my third brakelight on the back windshield doesn't work.
Dave Coon
www.nflcrimes.com
SilverStone Metallic
2003 Baja Sport 4EAT
wetdawg
Scoobytruck Lurker

ARE Cap Racks

Post by wetdawg »

On the topic of ARE caps.... I was thinking of purchasing a ski like rack system for my ARE cap.
The rack on the car is not very wide, and not that great for skis or a bike. I have seen some cool pics of racks on the ARE cap and was looking for some advice on what would be a good to install. I want a system that will be the same height off the cap as the car mounted rack, as this could be useful for carrying some lumber.

Any advice

Chris
05 Baja
MikeWoodBooks
Scoobytruck Lurker

A.R.E. cap bolts and 2x4 question

Post by MikeWoodBooks »

Just purchased a used A.R.E. cap which i'll be driving to another state to pick up. It does not include the four bolts. If i understand correctly, the factory bolts need to be replaced with longer bolts. Can anyone tell me how long and what thread size? Also, I have read about using a 2x4 to rachet down the cap into place. Where exactly does the 2x4 need to be placed? thanks
MikeWoodBooks
Scoobytruck Lurker

A.R.E. Cap break light connection

Post by MikeWoodBooks »

I just recently picked up a used A.R.E. cap. The wire to the third brake light on the cap was cut. It is just two wires (pos & neg). Can someone tell me if their A.R.E. cap wiring connects to the original third brake light, or if it connects to the 4-pin trailer harness plug. My worry is that if it connects to the 4-pin plug, it will blink when i use the turn signal. Thanks

Disregard the above. I solved the problem by tapping into the third brake light. I used a 2-pin connector so that i can either run the power wire to the original brake light or to the ARE brake light. That way they don't both light up at the same time. The wires run under the bottom of the original brake light. No worry about leaks as the only time the wires are hooked up is when the cap is on - and the cap completely covers the original brake light.
canuck37
Scoobytruck Master

ATTN: ARE Cap Owners

Post by canuck37 »

For a number of reasons, I find that I am either going to have to sell my 03 Baja or buy an ARE cap for the back. I built my own OzzBros style cover some time ago, which is very nice but doesn't provide enough covered storage.

I have a few questions for any ARE owners out there who might care to comment.

1) When installed, is the 3rd brake light permanently disabled or can it be re-connected when running without the cap on?
2) Any noticeable difference in vehicle handling and/or mileage when cap is installed?
3) Did you have it installed professionally and if so, any problems encountered when taking it off and reinstalling yourself?
4) Are water leaks a concern?
5) Just out of curiosity, my 03 is the black/silver version. I am tossing around either a silver cap or a black one. Maybe one of you PhotoShop wizzs could show me what that might look like??
6) When the cap is locked, is the back totally secure or can someone still get the tailgate down and gain access easily (yes, I realize if someone really wants in they will get in)?
7) Are the any interior lights already installed?
8) Are the side windows screened or able to open? (not clear on their website)

Any other issues that you have encountered with the cap that might make my decision easier?

I really don't want to part with my Baja, but need the additional covered storage for long and frequent trips I am having to make now. I would appreciate any constructive feedback. Thanks,
MikeWoodBooks
Scoobytruck Lurker

A.R.E. cap key question

Post by MikeWoodBooks »

The A.R.E. cap i bought did not come with a key. I've been to a locksmith, but he can't fit a key to it without getting the lock out, getting a cylindar code for the lock, or getting a look at what type of key it uses. when I contact A.R.E for parts, they refer my to my local dealer. when I go to my local dealer, he just sits on the phone and won't help anyone.
I can pull off the rear cover for the lock assembly, but then there doesn't seem to be a way to get the interior release button to pop off. Does anyone know how to get this off so you can get to the lock, or can someone send me a close-up picture of an A.R.E key.
Just got this solved and am editing this to add the solution in case anyone else runs into this problem. I found another ARE dealer that was able to help me. He had about 20 different keys, none of which fit. He stated the lock was impossible to disassemble from the rear (well, i assume without distroying it). But he was able to use a special extraction tool to pull the locking cylinder from the front. He was then able to replace it with a new lock. Best of all, it was only $20!
davecoon13
Scoobytruck Master

Re: ATTN: ARE Cap Owners

Post by davecoon13 »

canuck37 wrote: 1) When installed, is the 3rd brake light permanently disabled or can it be re-connected when running without the cap on?
There is a quick disconnect wired to the third brake light. The dealer wired it so the light on the back windshield was disabled. Inserting a jumper wire across the pigtail of the disconnect makes it operative when the cap is off.
canuck37 wrote: 2) Any noticeable difference in vehicle handling and/or mileage when cap is installed?
About 2MPG improvement on the highway. The back glass has to be kept real clean or else it is hard to see out the rearview, no difference in handling or performance.
canuck37 wrote: 3) Did you have it installed professionally and if so, any problems encountered when taking it off and reinstalling yourself?
The dealer installed mine. The original quick disconnect for the brake light melted and shorted out my fuse, I replaced with a different style. It is hard to get a water tight seal when reinstalling, it leaks very little though.
canuck37 wrote: 4) Are water leaks a concern?
No, even though i reinstalled myself, during Hurricane Hannah there was only one very minor streak of water on the back window to the drain holes, all my tools were completely dry. If you reinstall with the dealer technique that I describe in another post, it is completely 100% water tight.
canuck37 wrote: 5) Just out of curiosity, my 03 is the black/silver version. I am tossing around either a silver cap or a black one. Maybe one of you PhotoShop wizzs could show me what that might look like??
Mine is all silver, i am not sure what it would look like on a 2 tone.
canuck37 wrote: 6) When the cap is locked, is the back totally secure or can someone still get the tailgate down and gain access easily (yes, I realize if someone really wants in they will get in)?
It is as secure as the ozzbros. There is a fiberglass lip under the back glass that goes over the tailgate and holds it latched. If you try to open the tailgate, it has only a little play but you aint gonna get it open unless you unlock the latch or bust the glass. I live right across the street from the DC Metrorail and haven't been broken into yet thank goodness.
canuck37 wrote: 7) Are the any interior lights already installed?
It is a dealer option for a dome light, but the existing cargo lamp works great as an interior light. Just the 3rd brake light is standard.
canuck37 wrote: 8) Are the side windows screened or able to open? (not clear on their website)
They have window screens installed. There is a round knob inside that turns the windows open slightly but they don't open completely.
canuck37 wrote: Any other issues that you have encountered with the cap that might make my decision easier?
They will only be making it for another year or so.
I have removed and reinstalled it twice, It makes the baja truly a utility vehicile, I don't know how I lived without it.

I have been so busy lately I didnt check out scoobytruck in a while. I hope this reply is not too late....I love my ARE. The only thing is that it is a little tricky to get it to seal really tight, but even with a cursory reinstall leakage was very minimal in hurricane Hannah and all my crap was completely bone dry, just one streak of water on the back windshield into the drain holes. I describe in another posting the technique to get it water tight that the dealer used.
Dave Coon
www.nflcrimes.com
SilverStone Metallic
2003 Baja Sport 4EAT
YBajaSteve
All-Mighty Scoobytruck Admin

A.R.E. Caps - Look here for all info!

Post by YBajaSteve »

Please ask all A.R.E. Cap questions here!
Check out more pics!<<<<<< Cardomain Page. *******SOLD THE BAJA*********** But im still around, PM me if urgent!
CreativeGuy
Scoobytruck Lurker

Re: A.R.E. Caps - Look here for all info!

Post by CreativeGuy »

If you had an A.R.E cap installed (with no leaks), and were not going to ever remove it, What do you think about removing the back window?

Steve (New Baja Owner)