Highest miles on a Baja (so far!)?

General talk about the Subaru Baja.

Moderator: mikenmel08

anarchy1024
Scoobytruck Master

Re: Highest miles on a Baja (so far!)?

Post by anarchy1024 »

I just sent him a message... I'll let you know if he replies.

Also, this just happened yesterday
Attachments
WP_20150828_003.jpg
WP_20150828_003.jpg (489.12 KiB) Viewed 36784 times
Bostonclassics1
Scoobytruck Lurker

Post by Bostonclassics1 »

211K miles. Just bought in the Boston area. Curious if the former 1 owner was on this Forum, as they kept the Baja from 2005 till 2017.
I love the dark blue solid paint color, and how unique and functional this Baja is designed. I don't know if the timing belt was changed, so I need to research that topic. I did a carfax before buying, however the timing belt wasn't shown on the repair work report.
Reddog
Scoobytruck Lurker

Post by Reddog »

I got mine last month in Atlanta 06 180K.

Lots of good info here.

Luv my Scooby.
Victhom
Scoobytruck Lurker

Post by Victhom »

Hey I'm at 203,000 on a 2005 Baja sport, stock.
winterwizard
Scoobytruck Lurker

Post by winterwizard »

05 automatic 240,000. paid 2k. rough shape. rebuilding. nothing serious wrong. love the car. rebuilding as stage 3.
GeekVenture
Scoobytruck Lurker

Post by GeekVenture »

San Francisco w/ a 2003 @ 212661mi (previous commuter)
I did notice when going from reverse to drive, there is a little bit of a delay getting fully into gear...is this normal?
What else (preventatively) should I be looking for...to keep her humming along like she is now?
Guacamole
Scoobytruck God

Post by Guacamole »

GeekVenture wrote: Wed Oct 04, 2017 12:04 am San Francisco w/ a 2003 @ 212661mi (previous commuter)
I did notice when going from reverse to drive, there is a little bit of a delay getting fully into gear...is this normal?
What else (preventatively) should I be looking for...to keep her humming along like she is now?
Hey, welcome to the forum!
Firstly, is your baja an auto trans? If so, yes, there is a bit of a one-second delay in shifting from D to R & vise-versa. Listen for when the engine changes RPM after the shift, you'll get used to it. (unless if it shifts into gear, you start going and it clunks or something, that's probably bad)

As for preventative maintenance, basically just keep an eye out for rust on the unibody, & keep an eye on the motor for any signs of leaking & a close eye on the dashboard engine temp gauge. If you start to see leaks on the engine, coolant in the oil, or the temp gauge goes above normal, those are the signs you've got a bad head gasket. I personally religiously follow the maintenance booklet, but I know others who don't & have had no problems.
GeekVenture
Scoobytruck Lurker

Post by GeekVenture »

Guacamole wrote: Wed Oct 04, 2017 10:39 am
GeekVenture wrote: Wed Oct 04, 2017 12:04 am San Francisco w/ a 2003 @ 212661mi (previous commuter)
..., those are the signs you've got a bad head gasket. I personally religiously follow the maintenance booklet, but I know others who don't & have had no problems.
Thank you for your advise...it's an auto.
I was told the head gasket was repaired at some point but there's no leak now.
In general, is this typically a recurring thing or once done the fix is in place?
Guacamole
Scoobytruck God

Post by Guacamole »

It's difficult to say...
From what I understand, the main cause of the notorious head gasket failure was due to a cost-saving measure that was actually a design flaw- Subaru used single-layered head gaskets on their N/A models and multi-layered steel gaskets on the turbo models, along with more robust blocks & heads (mainly to deal with higher combustion pressures) also resulting in a better overall seal.
Side note: there was actually a class-action lawsuit brought against Subaru regarding this issue, Subaru lost, but the warranty period has long since expired.

Whether or not a replacement gasket will actually solve the problem seems like it does help from that info I've read- and it *seems* to stem from poor or rough maintenance. I wouldn't worry about it too much but definitely keep an eye out for the signs & upkeep with regular maintenance.
GeekVenture
Scoobytruck Lurker

Post by GeekVenture »

Guacamole wrote: Wed Oct 04, 2017 10:35 pm I wouldn't worry about it too much but definitely keep an eye out for the signs & upkeep with regular maintenance.
Cool...I'll do my best!
5050GRIP
Scoobytruck Contributer

Post by 5050GRIP »

310K, with a lot of stuff changed over the years.
khestee
Scoobytruck Lurker

Post by khestee »

03 with 241450
tomato_88
Scoobytruck Master

Post by tomato_88 »

GeekVenture wrote:San Francisco w/ a 2003 @ 212661mi (previous commuter)
There is a whole generation of Subaru 4eat transmissions that had a delay or hesitation when shifting from Reverse to Drive. I am a fan of changing the fluid slowly and adding a trans fluid additive. I can't remember which one I used, it's been a couple of years. When I sold my 03 Baja it had 203k and was still going strong. (Original Transmission)

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

tomato_88
Scoobytruck Master

Post by tomato_88 »

I just picked up a 2006 Baja Turbo. 203555 miles.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

andti02
Scoobytruck Lurker

Post by andti02 »

I'm the newbie here. Just picked up my neighbor's 2003 Baja, but my 6th Subaru (kid's driving now). Currently has a little over 295,000 miles and running strong! Located in Snohomish, WA.

Just took it in for its airbag recall and now going in for timing belt #3. Neighbor was the original owner and drove it back and forth between Washington State and New Hampshire routinely.

Really happy to be part of this forum. Look forward to getting to know everyone!