Any photos of cladding removed?

General talk about the Subaru Baja.

Moderator: mikenmel08

jseabolt
Scoobytruck Master

Any photos of cladding removed?

Post by jseabolt »

Anyone ever seen a Baja with the cladding removed?

There is probably not a solution to the rear bumper but looks like an Outback or regular Legacy bumper might fit the front and blend in better if the cladding was removed. I think the rear bumper is unique and is not the same one used as a station wagon.

I wasn't a big fan of the cladding at first but liked the overall looks of the vehicle. Eventually I got used to it. But always thought it would look better if it didn't have the cladding.

I tend to think that's why the Baja never was a big seller. Seems like most of the automotive reviews had something negative to say about the body cladding.
http://s222.photobucket.com/albums/dd148/turbofiat/

2003 Subaru Baja
1968 Ford Fairlane 500
1980 Fiat 124 Spider (turbocharged)
1987 Yugo GV (1500 turbocharged)
1981 Trabant 601 S
1987 Citroen 2CV
1977 MGB
YBajaSteve
All-Mighty Scoobytruck Admin

Re: Any photos of cladding removed?

Post by YBajaSteve »

well l can tell you, Ive seen the rear quarter panels under the cladding, and the sheetmetal is not smooth, its kind of like how the metal inside the bed isnt smooth either. like this

so you would have to do alot of work (make new panels pretty much) to even begin to make it look presentable.... :(
Check out more pics!<<<<<< Cardomain Page. *******SOLD THE BAJA*********** But im still around, PM me if urgent!
Sabber
Scoobytruck Master

Post by Sabber »

I think he means the outside cladding around the wheels and the lower portion of the body ie, remove the cladding replace the front bumper and the back with an outback bumper and get a Baja without all the plastic pontiac looking stuff that people dont tend to like.

Would it be possible? maybe. I dont know enough about cars to make that call, but I have never seen it. I have seen pictures with those parts off because of damage however, you could look around for that and maybe get an idea of what it looks like under that.
jseabolt
Scoobytruck Master

Post by jseabolt »

Sabber wrote:I think he means the outside cladding around the wheels and the lower portion of the body ie, remove the cladding replace the front bumper and the back with an outback bumper and get a Baja without all the plastic pontiac looking stuff that people dont tend to like.

Would it be possible? maybe. I dont know enough about cars to make that call, but I have never seen it. I have seen pictures with those parts off because of damage however, you could look around for that and maybe get an idea of what it looks like under that.
I'm not even sure what holds the side body panels on. The Chilton's manual may tell how. I wouldn't think Subaru simply glued them onto the doors, fenders, tailgate and quarterpanels. I would imagine there are studs made into the cladding panels so in order to get to them you would have to remove the front fender liners, door panels and panels within the bed to remove the quarterpanel and tail gate cladding to get to the nuts.

One of these days if I can find one that needs a paintjob for a reasonable price I'd like to make a "chopper" out of it. Also remove the roof rails while I'm at it.
http://s222.photobucket.com/albums/dd148/turbofiat/

2003 Subaru Baja
1968 Ford Fairlane 500
1980 Fiat 124 Spider (turbocharged)
1987 Yugo GV (1500 turbocharged)
1981 Trabant 601 S
1987 Citroen 2CV
1977 MGB
YBajaSteve
All-Mighty Scoobytruck Admin

Post by YBajaSteve »

Sabber wrote:I think he means the outside cladding around the wheels and the lower portion of the body ...

well i meant that Ive seen the outside panels, on the outside, under the cladding, and they look somewhat like the inside, and i just pulled up the pic for reference. They are held on by large plastic type plugs, and they just pop in and out. I just (this last week) had some body work done to repair a dent in the door and the rear panel, and I was able to see it with the silver lower panel pulled back.
Check out more pics!<<<<<< Cardomain Page. *******SOLD THE BAJA*********** But im still around, PM me if urgent!